FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Superbad rocks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did you guys know mclovin plays poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After Fogells first three lines or so I immediately thought of Bruiser, I was thinking no way anyone else was gonna think the same, funny stuff.

Finally got around to seeing it though, thought it was awesomely immature and thoroughly hilarious, I wasn't expecting much though. I basically just wanted to see George Michael on the big screen.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yea obviously a reference. I can't believe somebody was stupid enough not to pick it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

9/10 of the crowd didn't, and that's what I am referring to...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm generally someone who believes that the average person is really [censored] stupid, but I would bet more than 10% of the audience understands a Tianemen (sp?) Square reference especially when you consider other tv shows/movies that used those references.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno man. If you're right I'll bet it's not much more than 10 percent.

But anyway, stupid and ignorant are two different things. Almost none of my friends pay attention to the news or have any knowledge of history and would almost certainly fail to get the reference. A couple of them are actually pretty smart. I think you have to do a lot worse than not getting a Tiananmen Square reference to be considered stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh knowing what Tienanmen Square is doesn't require paying attention to the news or any knowledge of history. The picture referenced in the movies is one of the most famous images of all time. Some people may not be able to link the words Tienanmen Square to the image or know what the image is about but I'd guess well over half the people in any audience would be able to recognize the reference to the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll concede that. I guess I thought we were arguing about how many people know what event produced that famous photograph. I definitely think it's a lot funnier when you know just a little about Tiananmen Square as a historical event.

I don't get your first sentence, though. I think I know what you meant, but what you wrote isn't really true.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM

just saw it last night, stayed away from this thread until I got to see it.

I really liked it. The serious scenes were a little awkward. But whatever. There were a lot of good jokes that made me laugh my ass off. I liked it just as much as 40YOV.

"Take off your vest, you look like Aladdin."
Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 PM

I don't think it's possible to spoil anything for anyone who has already read this thread, but I guess you shouldn't read this post if you haven't seen the movie.

Finally saw this last night, thought it was hilarious. I had a best friend relationship in high school that was pretty similar to the two main characters, except it seemed like these guys were even bigger losers than us UNTIL HOT WOMEN BECAME INTERESTED IN THEM. So that was annoying, but I'm not sure how else they would've ended it and had it be satisfying.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 PM

My wife and I have 4 kids and don't get out often. Tonight we decided since we didn't have the kids to see a movie. I asked her if she wanted a funny or serious movie. She said funny.

Well here's my review of Superbad.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

So dude picks up his friend and looks at friends moms cleavage. They go into a store and talk about girls nipples and his hard on.

My wife mumbles something and leaves the fricking theatre. No warning no nothing. Total BMFS!

I followed her out and told her we could have easily got our money back but she was too busy being a drama queen about it.

She asked me where I heard the monie was funny and I told her the internet. She said OHHHHHHHHH well that explains it!

I was lke WTF you mean people hated Dances with Wolves or A Beautiful Mind on the internet. Could you please explain where you read the rule that if people on the net say it's funny it means the opposite.

She then said she wasn't talking to me anymore.

There's my review, heck the hot dogs were good though.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 PM

Wow. Divorce time. My wife, who has the sense of humor of soiled underpants, though it was riotous.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:18 PM

Do yourself a favour and go back to the theatre
Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Nick,

Is your wife typically this humorless?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 PM

humourless? the movie was stupid...
Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 PM