Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Ask an Iraq war Vet

Is there a lot of negotiating you can do when enlisting? Could you have gotten a much better deal if you hadn't told them you wanted in right away?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a lot of negotiating you can do when enlisting? Could you have gotten a much better deal if you hadn't told them you wanted in right away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah for the most part, if your ASVAB scores are good enough, you can pick your job. It's good to have someone who has already served go with you.

Personally I liked my job in the Marine Corps alot.

Recruiting is there job, and they will tell you your going to get 71 virgins after bootcamp if thats what it takes you to sighn up. Get everything in writing.

If anyone is thinking of joining feel free to ask here or PM me with any questions. I will tell you if they are BS'ing you or not, what job you might like, ETC.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 AM

What kind of jobs can you really get, and can't they say they'll give you one job then just give you another? I think I got 98's and up on everything in the ASVAB, but figured they'd just tell me to STFU and make me clean toilets anyway.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyways we would go to parties at this house which were pretty funny. He would have his Gay friends, her lesbian friends, and then there would be a mix of all kinds of Marines. Former gang members from LA, Guys from Brooklyn, Puerto Ricans, white kids from Nebraska. They were the funniest parties I have ever been too.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha this is awesome.

Great thread.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of jobs can you really get, and can't they say they'll give you one job then just give you another? I think I got 98's and up on everything in the ASVAB, but figured they'd just tell me to STFU and make me clean toilets anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you told me what you ultimately wanted your career to be, you can usually find something that corelates in the military.There are literally thousands of Jobs. For me I was like Ughh...Satelites cool, lets do it.

The ASVAB was pretty easy. I stayed up drinking the whole night before (literally NO sleep) and got like an 88 I think. I remember just randomly guessing at some stuff, cause I didn't feel like working it out.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what was the money like for you?

This might be a stupid question but does the money go up for more dangerous jobs?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks a lot of your service. I appreciate all you are doing.

What are the best (useful) items to receive from family/friends while abroad? I have previously sent baby-wipes, gatorade powder, sun block, American flag, and sunflower seeds - I really had no idea what would be in high demand.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't mind me asking, what was the money like for you?

This might be a stupid question but does the money go up for more dangerous jobs?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I got out I was taking home like 1200 every two weeks I think. But you got to remember they provide you with a place to live, 30 days paid vacation a year, free medical and dental car, free life insurance. So all in all it's actually a pretty good deal.

Yeah when your deployed you make way more. And special MOS's like EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) make special pay
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 PM

Do you think if we concentrated our efforts in Afghanistan instead of going into Iraq we would of been more successful in getting osama and dismantling alkida.

Also thank you for your service.

bat
Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 PM

Is one car magnet ribbon that says support the troops or do I need to have 2?

Kidding aside: thank you.

We get a lot of bs from hawks that says at least implicitly that you can't support the support and not support the war. How do marines and other service personnel feel about that?

Thanks again.