Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to see this forum used for anything but a bunch of mud slinging bull crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that and math.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Jerry wanted Chris in the room. Chris informed him of the cut and was corrected by staff. Jerry asked, "What Would Jesus Do?" Chris told him.

[ QUOTE ]
HE DID NOT STIFF US! He was misled and didnt know any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this says it all. You are not saying "HE DID NOT STIFF US!" because money was taken out of the pool, you are saying he did not tip because he was informed not to and had Chris not been in the room, he would have thrown a party. In other words, you still feel stiffed but kind of like when a European doesn't leave a tip in an American diner and the waitress says, "He just doesn't know any better."

Harrah's is raping the players (up to 9% vig) and the dealers (chopping up the vig unfairly) and things should be changed. That won't happen because there's too much dead money in the events to have players leave, and there are plenty of dealers that accept the higher wage regardless of how much Harrah's takes.

The players are willing to put up with up to 9% vig... play or don't play, it doesn't matter to Harrah's. Dealers... deal or don't deal, it doesn't matter to Harrah's; there are plenty of competent dealers who will deal. Gotta love corporate America.

Maybe it would be best if we went back to Buyin + Fee with no percentage of the pool withheld? Do you make more now with the percentage withheld, or did you make more when ALL of your tips were at the discretion of the players?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i cashed in one event for about 58k

they asked if i wanted to tip, i said how much of the prize pool is going to the dealers for this event

sorry we can't tell you that

so i didn't end up tipping

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention. Especially as the argument turned to whether or not CF was the one being misleading.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM

pkrporcupine wrote:[ QUOTE ]
means that we should only recieve $214 for 11 days of work? Hmmm that doesnt sound to good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

El Diablo wrote:[ QUOTE ]
You came on here claiming that you were paid a measly $200 in tips for the ME

[/ QUOTE ]

This was mentioned earlier but I think it bears repeating, as it's the most misleading thing going on in this thread.

The $214 figure is clearly obtained by dividing $150K by 700 dealers. But this is coming only from the winner's share, and ignores the contributions from everybody else who cashed. Pkrp obviously realizes this, but her OP was clearly worded to leave this false impression. That's misleading.

I think this whole episode is a textbook case for what happens when someone with little or no internet message board experience is thrown off the deep end. Her OP was somewhat lacking in clarity in many areas, and there were many unreasonable responses mixed with all the reasonable ones. She felt attacked, and consequently became frustrated, defensive, and increasingly hostile and irrational until she just gave up. It's a shame if she's really gone for good.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I look alot better in a low cut blouse than your PC

[/ QUOTE ]

Pics, please.

I will tip.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... I was in the payout room with Jerry as a representative for the dealers....

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? Perhaps someone could explain what 'dealers interests' she was representing in the payout room. I mean, Yang wins, yeehaw, praise the lord(literally), congratulations all around, presentations, photo ops, and then Yang, along with CF as his advisor, enters the payout room to be met with... the dealer from the final table? Was she there to hand over the cash/check/chips? Was she there attempting some sort of moral suasion, sublte pressure for an extra tip, or was she there to make sure Harrahs didn't pocket any extra tip that he might inadventantly offer?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 PM

I cashed in the ME and tipped 1%.

I had no idea what the standard practice is but ask the TD Jack at one of the WPT prelim events what was standard procedure and I think he said 1% (or maybe he said the dealers got usually around 2% and 1% was withheld).

So I stuck to the 1% at the ME. I had no idea. It was 2 am. I even asked the Harrah's person what they recommended. They said nothing.

Before I thought the 1% was like a 15% tip at a restaurant something that is just standard. But after reading this I'm thinking about not automatically doing it. It's what I've done at every tourney I've cashed at. Well actually I might have tipped more. I just usually try and figure out what is standard.

If the dealers already clearing $50 an hour then they should not tell me that they're not doing very well at the WSOP (which is what a few dealers told me when I asked).

Plus Harrah's makes so much coin from all the sponsorships, ESPN, etc, it should perhaps be their obligation to pay their employees a good wage. As it currently stands, Harrah's just gets all of this and the players get very little extra in return compared to any other tournament that does not have tons of sponsorhip $.

But this thread of reading about Yang "stiffing" the dealers makes me think twice about tipping what I did. Perhaps I'm like the European who think 30% is a standard tip in America because a waiter told him so.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 PM

lol, she still will not own up to how much money the dealers made.

You just lost yourself another tipping customer when it comes to tournaments.

Good Luck
Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 PM

i am absolutely kicking myself for this......there is no right answer to your questions on pay. the downs and total payout has yet to be tallied and i will not know for sure untill they cut our checks on the 26th.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, she still will not own up to how much money the dealers made.

You just lost yourself another tipping customer when it comes to tournaments.

Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

In some States (New Jersey) they can't take out the dealer tips %.

When I cashed in a WSOP Circuit Event in AC they told me the Dealer Tip out was normally between 1%-3%. I tipped 5%. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I heard that some of the bigger cashes didn't tip out at all & pretty much hurt the dealers. I like taking care of those who take care of me.

YMMV
Closed Thread