Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Clemens signed with the Yankees

One day, Clemens simply isn't going to have it anymore. And this year is as good as any for that to happen.

It's not far-fetched to think that this signing could provide lots of joy for the Yankee-haters this year.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what the hell is PECOTA and BABIP

my god what the [censored] happened to baseball

[/ QUOTE ]

tyler, no need to be an idiot about this stuff. google it or get lost.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

You misinterpreted my post--perhaps you had your nose buried in a book of convoluted and stupid statistics. Rest assured that if I cared to know what they meant I would have looked it up. I was merely pointing out how retarded these stats are. Carry on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tylar I agree. for me baseball was ruined once we started keeping track of HR's, RBI, and batting average. it should just be about the game, not keeping track of stats like this.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was just trying to point out that it's a pretty ridiculous statement. I dunno, maybe he can help out the young guys, and maybe Andy will throw a little better being with his BFF. But even for those that love to talk about chemistry and how important that is to a team.. I never really saw Clemens as the awesome clubhouse guy that the team feeds off of. He won't even be on the road a good percentage of the time.

He's just going to go out and throw 5 awesome innings at a time, which is a pretty sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clemens is good for the chemistry in the clubhouse...gets their minds of all the crap that has happened month. Shot in the arm, gives them hope, blah blah blah. They have played with him before. Improves their pitching. Helps Andy/Moose/Rivera psych. Will probably help the young kids.
Helps all around even if he is no better than a solid #3 or #4 pitcher.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's not getting 4.5 a month to be a solid 3 or 4 or even to just "help" the other guys...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One day, Clemens simply isn't going to have it anymore. And this year is as good as any for that to happen.

It's not far-fetched to think that this signing could provide lots of joy for the Yankee-haters this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.Then again people thought he was done before he went to Toronto. Eventually he will suck. I hope its not this year. If it is theyve spent 18 million on a lot worse-for guys that never even had a chance of helping the team.

Where the hell do you get Clemens adding 1-2 wins over a piece of garbage like Igawa? If Clemens was making his starts they probably would have 2 more wins right now and its only May 7th.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM

He is basically a shot of hope and optimism for their entire organization.

It basically sends a message of--get your ass to work and grind out these two months and close the glap with the Sox and then we'll be adding the Rocket and Hughes to a rotation of Wang, Moose, and Andy.

So once he starts playing..I figure he'll pitch 3rd or 4th in the 5 man rotation.. All he'll need to do is come in and give 5 or 6 inning quality starts.

The added bonus is once you make the postseason...with a guy like Clemens you can probably count on a decent to above average pitched game and there is the possibilty of greatness for that one game.

With Igawa/Pavano/etc you can't even count on a average ptiched game and there is no hope for greatness.

The money is meaningless. The Yanks have blown nearly a 100 million dollars on Pavano and Igawa combined...Clemens is a bargain.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NT, you got a good bet since i'm too foolish to look up Wake's ERA before I run my mouth. He'll come back to earth, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i fully expect wake to close the season with the same ERA he usually does, somewhere in the mid to low 4's. i just don't think clemens is good for a sub-3.50 ERA on that team in that division.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You misinterpreted my post--perhaps you had your nose buried in a book of convoluted and stupid statistics. Rest assured that if I cared to know what they meant I would have looked it up. I was merely pointing out how retarded these stats are. Carry on.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yeah, guys like theo and billy beane are definitely retards for listening to some wonky dweeb like silver, wtf are they thinking? rub some dirt on it you pussy. RUN IT OUT. blah blah blah blah
Old 05-07-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I'm willing to work out a bet here. Longevity should play a role in who is the greatest, you know.

You mock me for asking people to bet them on stupid reasons. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was merely pointing out how difficult it is to objectively proclaim that pitcher X is the greatest pitcher of all time. If you had said, "Roger Clemens is the greatest pitcher of our/his generation," I would be in full agreement. But what makes someone the best of all time? Career WARP3? ERA+? Dominance compared to the rest of his era?

As much as I love statistics and their role in evaluating a player, they can only do so much. You can't tell me that Clemens is the best pitcher of all time because of stat x and y when stats q and z say so-and-so from a completely different era is better.

I obviously wasn't serious about the bet, but I wouldn't take it anyway because the bet isn't about who the best pitcher of all time is, but rather who accumulated the most WARP3 over his career.

FWIW, I don't think Walter Johnson is the best pitcher of all time. I was just using him as the best available example.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM

if you haven't heard suzyn waldman's reaction to clemens in stein's box, its priceless.

http://www.doza.biz/lounge/WaldmannOrgasm.mp3

she sounds like jim ross witnessing shawn michaels backstabbing marty jannetty in the wwf
Old 05-07-2007, 04:35 PM

suzyn waldman makes sterling look good and thats hard to do