Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Panthers vs Seahawks
Panthers 22 64.71%
Seahawks 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: I\'m 6\'3 and 215lbs, what are my chances vs: Mayweather?

i immediately thought of the mike tyson thread. just learn mma. it's so easy for some sub par grappler to take out mike tyson in his prime. mayweather should be no problem.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 AM

wtf? here we go again?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i immediately thought of the mike tyson thread. just learn mma. it's so easy for some sub par grappler to take out mike tyson in his prime. mayweather should be no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I immediately thought of the gun thread. Just buy a gun. it's so easy for some sub par .22 to take out someone in their prime. Mayweather should be no problem.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 3 and 215 is fairly lanky and skinny

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, what?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6 3 and 215 is fairly lanky and skinny

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 6'2" and 235. I could lose ten pounds at most without making a huge issue about it. I'm way too skinny.

Course, I have wrists and forearm bones and shins and ankles like a girl's. Kinda shameful, but oh well. A lot depends on how you're put together rather than sheer weight. I could probably get to 260, if it were an athletic build without much fat, before people started to say, hey, that guy's gettin' pretty buff.

Maybe I'm an exception, but I've known other guys like me with bird bones. We look like we weigh WAY less than we do.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:31 AM

Little anecdote for anyone that's interested in what level pro boxers are at...

One of my dad's buddies boxed a ton when they were younger. When he was 15 or 16 he fought in the golden gloves and did really well and kept boxing into his early 20s. He was a huge guy, probably like 6'4 240 lbs. Just a ballpark guess but it's not far off. He used to regularly kick the living crap out of everyone that he fought (amateur boxers). His coach set up a fight with like the 50th ranked guy in the 160 lb weight class. So kind of a scrub by pro standards that he outweighed by a ton. That guy totally destroyed him. He said he'd never seen anyone punch so fast in his life. He never got one good shot in. He didn't get knocked out but he was on his ass for the better part of 10 rounds (I'm guessing he would have been TKO'd if it were a professionally sanctioned match but I don't know the rules).

So yea, OP, you're toast.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:05 AM

Well said. Fighting is like writing; everyone can do it. And everyone thinks they can do it passably if not well.

WRONG.

Anyone can muscle around and smack up their retardo friends and the occasional tough kid on the block. FORGET doing that to guys who really train. FORGET doing that to guys with natural athletic ability. FORGET doing that to guys with much experience.

The guys at the top have tremendous amounts of natural ability, usually train like heck, and absorb YEARS of experience in a very short time and then go on to do their own experiments on top of that. And here's the horrible, horrible truth -- the guys who come anywhere near that level do too.

Good lord, some of these guys are actually reasonably smart, practical thinkers who can figure out people's personal styles and strengths and weaknesses really quick and then take advantages of it. God forbid you should ever be against one of THOSE.

Self-evaluation of fighting ability by amateurs is ridiculous. Not just a little.

Fighting is a sport like no other. Think of all the attributes various sports might emphasize. Now imagine that the outcome is not a race, or a successful pole vault or whatever, but how much pain and even permanent brain damage you might have to absorb; imagine your livelihood and life are on the line. Suddenly being a world-class swimmer or whatever seems trivial, doesn't it?

Every other asset a top, experienced athlete could ever possibly hope to bring to bear is tested to the limits of its applicability in the ring. The stakes are higher than anywhere else, and the painful feedback couldn't possibly be more stark and ruthless.

What a drunk at a nightclub or a doofus at the gym can bring in comparison is tremendously deluded.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 AM

How many shots to the body do you think it would take from an average guy to actually 'hurt' mayweather?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many shots to the body do you think it would take from an average guy to actually 'hurt' mayweather?

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on how well your average guys hits and what you mean by "shots to the body".

If you mean that Mayweather will be defending and the "average" guy has to land the punches through Mayweather's guard, your average guy has somewhere in the neighborhood of a 0% chance of ever hurting Mayweather at all.

If Mayweather is just going to stand there and eat body blows, you're looking at dozens and dozens of shots minimum from an "average" guy who hasn't been in a fight since grade school and hasn't trained his punches.

SpaceAce
Old 05-07-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was kind of hoping for serious responses, but no one seems to be actually thinking this through. There is no way I'd go down in under 30 seconds. A 150lb man doesn't have that type of power. How many 1st round knockouts does this guy even have? These featherweights don't knock people out in the 1st round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am jumping in on this late... a friend of mine went up to a bar for their thursday night boxing show (this was when i lived in Chicago). It's 3, 1 minute rounds against someone else in the crowd and the fighters wear head gear and slightly larger gloves. He's about 6'2 210 / 215 in that area and they couldn't find anyone to fight him so they brought in this guy with the show who was an amateur kick boxer who couldn't have been more than 180 maybe less and about 4 inches shorter. My friend danced a bit threw a couple punches that the guy sort of humored, it looked for a second like his month of training had helped his skill until the "amateur" threw a three punch combination that sent him to the floor with his knees buckling Glass Joe style.

Two months later after more training and some lessons from a friend that was an amateur fighter of sorts, he got back in the ring and lo and behold, they had no one else again (it was typically fat guys getting into the ring at these things) so the same guy fought him but this time he had less mercy and knocked him down with two quick punches to the gut and then face.

He never made it through round one either time and i doubt you would either.