Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: BBQ

Looks like a nice effort first up - and you are right, letting meat rest before pulling/carving makes a big difference.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Im now almost in a turkey induced coma, I cant believe how juicy the friggen thing was. My buddy never showed, so I sliced it up myself, is there any easy way to get the meat off the boans other than just taking it off by hand?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:22 PM

BBQ breakfast - eggs, bacon on toast.

then, add cheese and bbq sauce. it is awesomeness on a plate.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 AM

Google turkey carving and you can get some pretty good tips. It's not too important how it gets off the bones though.

Ribs came out down right crack-like. I threw in a couple pounds of thighs after that and they were almost as good.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 AM

For those of you in the Milwaukee/Chicago area, I strongly reccommend O'Dennis' in Racine, WI. Amazing ribs.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: BBQ *DELETED*

Post deleted by El Diablo
Old 02-05-2007, 05:13 PM

I smoked a beef shoulder for 10 hours for the SuperBowl. Awesome flavor.

Guids, I recommend getting a wireless thermometer. I like the Redi-chek ET-73
http://www.smarthome.com/3219.html
It has a probe for the meat and a probe for the grill/smoker.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There's a place down the road a ways from Memphis in De Vall's Bluff, Arkansas, called Craig's BBQ. It's pretty good, nothing earth-shattering, but you MUST STOP if you're driving down I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock because of the pie shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this suggestion although I find their pulled pork Memphis-style sandwiches some of the best I've ever tasted. I'd recommend the hot bbq sauce. For those that are interested in dirctions...
Take the AR-33 exit to Biscoe/DeValls Bluff
Turn South on AR-33
Turn Right on US-70 and take it 4.1 miles to Craig's.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you BBQ experts, I think providing some more of your "how-to" knowledge would be awesome. Perhaps especially focused on equipment to get started with, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]
Although I don't consider myself an "expert" I have competed locally in a couple of bbq competitions. It really depends on what you are looking for in regards to equipment to get started with. You can crank out some really good bbq on a standard charcoal or gas grill by using soaked wood chips. Of course if you plan on entering competitions, you have to go with a charcoal or wood grill as gas isn't allowed. If you don't plan on competing and are looking for something really easy to use you could go with an electric or propane smoker. They are very easy to use because you don't have to worry about temperature control - which is the single most important thing in cooking bbq.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you BBQ experts, I think providing some more of your "how-to" knowledge would be awesome. Perhaps especially focused on equipment to get started with, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]
Although I don't consider myself an "expert" I have competed locally in a couple of bbq competitions. It really depends on what you are looking for in regards to equipment to get started with. You can crank out some really good bbq on a standard charcoal or gas grill by using soaked wood chips. Of course if you plan on entering competitions, you have to go with a charcoal or wood grill as gas isn't allowed. If you don't plan on competing and are looking for something really easy to use you could go with an electric or propane smoker. They are very easy to use because you don't have to worry about temperature control - which is the single most important thing in cooking bbq.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still investigating what to buy. There seems to be a huge following for the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker, both here and on other sites I've checked out. I've seen the electric ones in several stores though. Do any of you BBQ geniuses have any input on the relative strengths and weaknesses between a charcoal and electric/gas smoker, besides the ease of temperature control?