Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Re: astroglide\'s home theater: what i own, what i would buy today

[ QUOTE ]
TWP,

Just wanted to 2nd Rick's opinion. You should definitely spring for the new Onkyo that has the true HDMI v1.3, not just the passthru like the model you listed.

Amazon actually has a pretty good price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird. For this model Amazon was $400ish about a week ago then went up to $500ish a few days ago now is this price.

Just got the long mail order HDMI cable today along with a Toslink cable for my CD player. Am waiting on one more speaker (MC 300 from Cambridge Soundworks to add to the two I already have, these will be the front array).

Even with three mismatched (at this moment) speakers the Onkyo still sounds great. I have speaker placement problems (the TV had to be in the corner) but I think I may end up with something semi-balla if I put some thought into the arrangement.

Anyway, reading the AV forums makes my eyes bleed despite great advise (suggestion: avoid information overload and read the sticky posts).

I'm tired and munching out, hope my post makes semi-sense.

~ Rick
Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 AM

How badly am I going to get raped if I just buy everything from Amazon? Doesn't seem like it will be too bad. Especially since I'll take advantage of the Harmony Remote + Receiver deal and save like $200 that way, apparently.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How badly am I going to get raped if I just buy everything from Amazon? Doesn't seem like it will be too bad. Especially since I'll take advantage of the Harmony Remote + Receiver deal and save like $200 that way, apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not too bad although the big unit (the TV) I'd rather get from a local B&M (in case it has to be returned). Note that you often won't get everything you order directly from Amazon; a lot of their electronics are subbed out to other sellers and they simply handle the order. So shipping could be higher than you would think since things may come from all over.

You might want to compare Crutchfield with JR or some of the other big online retailers.

Definitely get cables online; the B&M chains have to compete on cost with the online sellers on the centerpiece items so they really try to make it up on cables (especially an item like an HDMI cable).

~ Rick
Old 07-06-2007, 06:58 PM

I would be careful for anything expensive whether it comes from Amazon or someone else. Some things Amazon sell themselves so you get better warranty guarantees and the free shipping.

Cables - go to monoprice for cheap but good quality. If you want something a little bit higher quality, Blue Jeans Cable has incredible stuff at relatively inexpensive prices (all under $50)
Old 07-08-2007, 08:49 PM

Bought my 61" DLP from Amazon. Free shipping. No problems with it. Apparently, if the TV is DOA, the delivery dudes will just pack it back up and put it back on the truck. (Unfortunately, that's only good for problems that are obvious on first power on).
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Honestly, I dont see how returning stuff to Amazon (take it to UPS) is any harder than taking it to Best Buy or whatever. I'm just going to get it wherever I can easily get the cheapest price: Amazon or B&M.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 AM

What's a proportional amount to spend on a sound system having bought a Samsung LE46M87 - 46" LCD TV and Toshiba HD-E1 HD DVD player? Total cost ~£1650.

Is it better to get seperate speakers? Any suggestions for what I should get that I can find in the UK? Is it a smart idea/technically feasible to plug my laptop into the TV, get a blu-ray burner for my desktop, and play blu-ray movies through the network?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I dont see how returning stuff to Amazon (take it to UPS) is any harder than taking it to Best Buy or whatever. I'm just going to get it wherever I can easily get the cheapest price: Amazon or B&M.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's only harder in the sense that you need to find a box (if you threw the original out) and sometimes have to pay for postage.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 PM

hey guys, quick question.

i'm getting a 42in Panasonic plasma, should I get 720p or 1080p? I plan on having this TV for the next 5-7 years

i read that 1080p might not matter for a smaller sized set, is this right? or is 1080p going to be so prevalent in the future that i should just spend the extra?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's only harder in the sense that you need to find a box (if you threw the original out) and sometimes have to pay for postage.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a box to return to Best Buy also.