Girly Coffee 6 13.95%
Herbal Tea 2 4.65%
Tea (milk..) 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
He does need to learn from this game.

This is when Ron Turner needs to bring him in and start running the ball more.

With 9:00 left and down by two scores with great field position Grossman is trying to get it all in one shot.

Turner unable to realize that when Grossman is off, he NEEDS TO RUN THE BALL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I paraphrased and agree wholeheartedly:
1) the entire squad needs to learn from this game. Grossman wasn't sharp at all and every throw seemed to be off his back foot.
2) the Run was abandoned way too soon in the first half. The offense had a very inexperienced look to it last night.
3) the defense gave up a score or 2 early that surprised (1st TD where Leinart drove AZ down the field), but in general they were dominant. Urlacher was everywhere in 2nd half.

We saw a similar poor outing by the offense vs. Carolina in playoffs last year. I'd rather see it Week 6 than January.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
good statement game by the Bears

beware October 16th [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn....how can i be so right, but still end up wrong [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

The match-ups were perfect, but Arizona showed why its Arizona. Even the announcers were correct in how this franchise invents ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I didn't get to hear all the Dennis Green tirade, but what I heard made me laugh for multiple reasons. 1) I was listening to David Stein on SPorting News Radio while driving from StL to Chicagoland just a few hours ago and he spliced in some of the tirade (it was my first time hearing) with Fredo's bitching in the Godfather about how he's smart, he's not dumb, yada yada yada. 2) There is a bit of truth in Green's comments. The Bears offense, while improved, is still not a world beater, the Bears defense has trouble matching up against game breaking wide-outs, and their is still doubt whether the Bears are that good when it counts. Green just presented that in one of the most hilarious ways ever.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:12 AM

back from game...boy do I run good on picking what games to go to, eh?

Not real happy with the offense, or the first half defense, but that leinart kid is gonna be really good if they protect him at all.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Brown Out for the Year

Mike Brown Likely Out For Year

This is a monster loss to the Bears. With Harris still hurt and McGowen still a few weeks from returning looks like the Bears have to rely on Todd Johnson. Just got a little chill down the spine.

I don't mind Johnson 10-15 plays a game, but he is not an everydown Strong Safety. I hope that in a few weeks we at least get to see Harris in that spot. They have been talking about him taking over for Brown long term and it would be nice to see if he could handle the spot. It would at least make me feel better if (and it almost seems like when) Brown is a cap casualty.

The news on Rickey Manning was a bit better. Looks like he just has a minor hamstring and could be back for SF. It would really hurt if the league holds back on a suspention until that run of road games in the Northeast. It does seem a bit odd that he wants to meet with the League before they even make a decision, I don't know if that's good or bad.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Brown Out for the Year

how big of a loss is it, in comparison to other players? I know as a fan you obviously hate losing anyone but is this like a Rodney Harrison quality player? Worse? He's clearly not at the Ed Reed/Troy P. level, right?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:36 AM

Former Pro-Bowler but not a total stud anymore.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how big of a loss is it, in comparison to other players? I know as a fan you obviously hate losing anyone but is this like a Rodney Harrison quality player? Worse? He's clearly not at the Ed Reed/Troy P. level, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL Draft Countdown Ranking

So, 14th best Safety in the league--sounds about right. Pretty big loss whenever you lose a starter whose top quartile for the season. Also, Foot injuries are often one of the worst long term injuries, so this could be a lasting blow.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So, 14th best Safety in the league--sounds about right.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the ranking of 14th is largely due to how injury prone Brown has been over the past few years. I've long felt that Brown is probably the most underrated DB in the league, but I can't argue with 14th when he missed a huge chunk of '04, some of '05, now most of '06, and has been a pretty consistent questionable for a long time.

In '01, I think he became the only player ever to return back-to-back interceptions for TDs in overtime. I was at that SF game. It'll stay etched in my mind as my greatest sports moment ever until the Bears win the big one again.

Brown was an integral part of the defense. If I had to choose a Bears player to lose for the season, he'd probably be 3rd to last on my list.

Completely ridiculous stat of the day: The Bears are 15-4 when Brown has started over the past three seasons and 7-13 when he hasn't.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 AM

Dwight Freeney and Strahan over Richard Seymour and Julius Peppers? Lavar Arrington 14 among OLB?

RANKAMENTS.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:56 AM

That last stat is a HORRIBLE indication of how good they are. You do realize if he missed much of the 2004 season, he missed most of the 2004 season, he was out during the Hutchinson, Krenzel, Quinn tenure which was horrid and he was part of Lovie's first year as coach.

I wouldn't link causation here, he is good but not that good.