Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: The American \"Obesity Epidemic?\"

LOL....I would say that the 'anti-fat' lobby is much more ridiculous and intentionally misinterprets their science results to preach at people in attempt to demonize a whole caste-fat has really become the new American Negro

Look at the studies the anti-fat zealots use...check out their charts and data....look for the excluded populations and try to figure out why....it's a huge con

extreme, morbidly obese people are at risk. But, the thinner side of the spectrum is more numerous and at an equal risk, yet it's encouraged by the disciples of junk science.

overly thin people are stealing a larger amount of your tax dollars than the morbidly obese

The problem is sedentary...it isn't weight
Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM

what is really stealing your dollars are the practitioners that insist on a calorie restrictive diet or some outside guidelines to the body's normal internal hunger, satiety, and appetite controls
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM

All I can suggest is that you guys do what I did:
I got really into living healthy, maximizing my potential, etc a few years back

I read as much as I could and decided there was so much crap that I had to get to the primary documents. Books like the one I mentioned earlier, The Diet Myth by Paul Campos, and Big Fat Lies by Glenn Gaesser had nice bibliographies that listed the primary sources. Since I live on a big research university's campus, it was pretty easy to goto the relevant libraries and read the primary source documents for myself.

Weight is pretty much hocus pocus genetics. Just don't be sedentary and eat somewhat healthy and balanced (which is alot less 'healthy' eating than most would think).

Weight wasn't shown to be related to exercise. Weight wasn't shown to be related to eating habits. Weight wasn't shown to be related to longevity except for the extreme tail end of obese and for those a few or more pounds thinner than the low end of BMI charts.

Search and ye shall find.

Just as HIIT tore apart conventional thought on aerobic exercise, most of our societies' thoughts on weight-health relationship need to be torn down.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 PM

"Weight wasn't shown to be related to exercise. Weight wasn't shown to be related to eating habits."

First law of thermodynamics would like a word with you.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM

seriously, read something

not crap in Men's Health or Cosmo

look at the actual studies/charts and whatnot

if you're going to make ignorant one-liners, I have nothing else to say
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM

Man, you can't sit here and tell me to look at a chart when you're telling me that how much you eat has nothing to do with how much you weigh. There is no pro-fat book at Amazon that is going to override a freaking law of the universe.

People can make a lot of money telling them what they want to hear, and there's nothing people like to hear more than "It's not your fault". There are also a lot of industries with a vested interest in people eating like [censored].

LOL at calling everyone who tells you to put the Twinkie down "anti-fat zealots." All those cardiologists have some kind of ulterior motive, just wait until you crack that conspiracy!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL....I would say that the 'anti-fat' lobby is much more ridiculous and intentionally misinterprets their science results to preach at people in attempt to demonize a whole caste-fat has really become the new American Negro

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the funniest thing I've read this year.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the majority of the American public, whose stupidity and laziness led to its obesity, is too stupid and lazy to diet correctly? Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who'da thunk it?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is really stealing your dollars are the practitioners that insist on a calorie restrictive diet or some outside guidelines to the body's normal internal hunger, satiety, and appetite controls

[/ QUOTE ]

This is assuming too much.

It assumes that we are only eating when hungry.

It also begs the question of whether with the type of food and amount of work we are doing, in today's society, when we feel like eating, it's necessarily healthy.

It makes zero allowance for the idea that some eating habits are worse than others, by discrediting anything but someone's desire to eat as somehow illegitimate or even dangerous. This argument defeats itself.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 PM

mt2r,

fly's right. What you're saying flies in the face of thermodynamics. Any fatass who eats less and exercises more is going to lose weight (see our beloved Dids for a real life example). It's guaranteed. Maybe in a year he'll have made no progress because he couldn't keep it up/had unrealistic goals/died of heart failure, which could very well be true for 95% attempting weight loss.. I dunno. But that's different than saying "food and exercise aren't shown to relate with body weight". That's ludicrous.