I'm a Democrat: Democrats pick up 4 10.26%
I'm a Democrat: Republicans hold 19 48.72%
I'm a Republican: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I'm a Republican: Republicans hold 10 25.64%
I don't care which party wins: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I don't care which party wins: Republicans hold 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: where does a-rod play next season?

[ QUOTE ]
My guess, and its nothing more than that, is that the Yankees extend him to the tune of 10 yrs, 27-30 million a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cashman already has to deal with the horrible signing of Giambi, he doesn't want another long term contract with an aging slugger. In 4 or 5 years it's A-Rod may not even play 3B, his defense is declining. So even if he is an amazing physical specimen who's hitting never declines in his thirties and early forties, that's a ton of money to tie up in a full time DH or 1B. Would you give Pronk $30M per year? Jim Thome?

As I said before, the Yankees give him 3-4 years more at $25M-$30M tops. That's a total deal somewhere between 6/$170M ($28.5M a year, costing Yankees $25M per year) to 7/$180M ($26M a year, costing yankees $23M per year).

One factor I don't think we have discussed on this thread is the luxury tax implications. If the Yankees sign A-Rod for $30M per year, it actually will cost them $42M per year with the tax. Of course, any free agents they sign trigger the same percentage tax. But a $10M free agent only costs an extra $4M, not $12M. This is one constraining factor on the Yankees. Fortunately the luxury tax trigger keeps moving up, I think it's $148M. If they think it will keep moving up then the tax will have less impact on their offer.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My guess, and its nothing more than that, is that the Yankees extend him to the tune of 10 yrs, 27-30 million a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cashman already has to deal with the horrible signing of Giambi, he doesn't want another long term contract with an aging slugger. In 4 or 5 years it's A-Rod may not even play 3B, his defense is declining. So even if he is an amazing physical specimen who's hitting never declines in his thirties and early forties, that's a ton of money to tie up in a full time DH or 1B. Would you give Pronk $30M per year? Jim Thome?

As I said before, the Yankees give him 3-4 years more at $25M-$30M tops. That's a total deal somewhere between 6/$170M ($28.5M a year, costing Yankees $25M per year) to 7/$180M ($26M a year, costing yankees $23M per year).

One factor I don't think we have discussed on this thread is the luxury tax implications. If the Yankees sign A-Rod for $30M per year, it actually will cost them $42M per year with the tax. Of course, any free agents they sign trigger the same percentage tax. But a $10M free agent only costs an extra $4M, not $12M. This is one constraining factor on the Yankees. Fortunately the luxury tax trigger keeps moving up, I think it's $148M. If they think it will keep moving up then the tax will have less impact on their offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we'll find out within the month. A-Rod wants this to be his last contract, so if he isn't 9 or 10 yrs he will opt and not be a Yankee (According to Cashmen).

I'm gonna stay away from this thread until the negotiations even begin, I just wanted to add the stuff that Cashman said, because it obviously has implications on where he goes.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've made this same point in like 45 posts, we understand your stance on a-rod, his decline and all that. I'm not trying to troll you or talk [censored] on your point, because you very well could end up being correct, I just think you are wasting your time restating the same point over and over again. But don't take that the wrong way, if you want to keep making it go ahead, you have many many more posts than I do, and have been around here much longer than me. I just think everyone knows exactly how you feel on the situation.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You've made this same point in like 45 posts, we understand your stance on a-rod, his decline and all that. I'm not trying to troll you or talk [censored] on your point, because you very well could end up being correct, I just think you are wasting your time restating the same point over and over again. But don't take that the wrong way, if you want to keep making it go ahead, you have many many more posts than I do, and have been around here much longer than me. I just think everyone knows exactly how you feel on the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I am, and I apologize. I just love this and can't wait to find out. It's my xmas present this year, if I'm right I get to puff up my chest, if I'm wrong I'll have to slink away.

But let me point out that I did bring up the salary cap in my response, that's at least one new angle I hadn't talked about before
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 PM

Did I hear Buster Olney say Arod to Miami? WTF.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I hear Buster Olney say Arod to Miami? WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 10-18-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I am, and I apologize. I just love this and can't wait to find out. It's my xmas present this year, if I'm right I get to puff up my chest, if I'm wrong I'll have to slink away.

But let me point out that I did bring up the salary cap in my response, that's at least one new angle I hadn't talked about before

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I'm glad you understood where I was comming from, I was hoping you didn't see it as a "shut up" attack, which is wasn't. I've prolly been making the same posts over and over again too and it just seems like everyone is just knocking heads over the same points, which seems kinda dumb on both sides since we'll know whos right pretty shortly lol.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cashman needs to sign Barry, he'll be by far the biggest value on the FA market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry Bonds as a DH is going to be [censored] obscene. If the Yankees acquire him...man as a Red Sox fan I will NOT be happy
Old 10-18-2007, 01:35 AM

Nobody will be willing to pay for A-Rod. Therefore, he will play in Japan next year.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody will be willing to pay for A-Rod. Therefore, he will play in Japan next year.

[/ QUOTE ]