Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Coopers Australian Beer

Thanks for the recommendation. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x 5

Deep, fruity beer, 9%, triple-fermented, and simply awesome.

Proud to be Canadian tonight.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:20 PM

Default La Fin du Monde

I got my new snifters in the mail on Saturday and so I was excited to try this beer myself, given everyone else's rave reviews. To be honest, I can't say I enjoyed it as much as others. I definitely enjoyed the citrusy aroma and on occasion i caught some bananas in there. Being a bit of a beer noob, I haven't tried many other styles before and I found the aftertaste of this one to be pretty alcoholic at first. After a while I enjoyed it more. I just finished my 750 ml bottle today. Overall I'd give it [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a half [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s. Maybe I'll have to try it again some time. I'm not one to set beer reviews in stone. However, if the beer selection at my local store is the same as last time, I think I'm gonna get my hands on some Maudite and give it a review here. Something to look forward to I suppose...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: La Fin du Monde

Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 PM

Maxx,

The LFDM is a really strange beer, and if you don't really know what you're getting yourself into, it's easy to find it a little strange and offputting. I'd definitely like to hear from you on other beers, and consider going back to it after you've tried some other Belgian-style beers, either from Belgian brewers, American brewers, or Unibroue.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:40 PM

This was my first foray into an abbey tripel. I'm a big stout fan, but haven't had an imperial, which should give you an indication of how new I am at all this. I have had Belgian strong ales before- Delirium Tremens, Delirium Nocturnum and Ommegang. Thought Delirium Tremens was the best thing I ever tasted the first time I had it. The second time was a letdown, so I guess the jury is still out. I'm just trying to expand my beer horizons. The store about five blocks from me has Three Philosophers and some other foreign brews regularly, so I'll have plenty to taste.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 PM

On Monday I went over to the local grocery store and decided to stay Canadian after La Fin du Monde. This is the story of:

I was pretty excited to try this beer and the aroma only helped that; it was rather fruity; assorted berries to this taster's nose. Initially poured a nice amber-brown with a big white head, larger bubbles on the top that eventually gave way to smaller ones evenly distributed throughout the foam. It had a pretty lively palate...the right amount of carbonation for my taste. Finished a nice bitter and certainly didn't give me the infamous "bitter beer face." As advertised on the bottle it "goes down uncommonly smooth" and it has a nice "warm mellowing effect." I drank the last of it during the rain delay for Game 2 of Yankees-Tigers. I won't go as far as to say I don't care that the game was delayed, but the warmth is definitely there. In summary, I give Maudite [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2006, 01:10 PM

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your Maudite review. I found it to be quite a disappointment relative to other Unibroue beers. Not that it wasn't good, but that it isn't their best.

What I'm finding as I drink more Unibroue beers is that they, for the most part, all have similar spice characteristics, but the bodies of the beers vary pretty widely. The Maudite has a similar spice character to the LFDM and the Trois Pistoles, and a couple others that I should get to reviewing here. In addition to the spices, though, the LFDM packs some great fruitiness with a light malt, and the Trois Pistoles has a rich, flavorful dark malt. The Maudite's malt, though, is much more mild. Having enjoyed the others' strong flavors, this beer tasted like either the LFDM or TP had lost its backbone. I suppose if someone's looking for an introductory beer to this style without wanting to sample something too wild, it's not too bad, but I think the other offerings from Unibroue are superior. I award this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 AM

Alright, I've got another Unibroue review tonight. This time, it's the Don De Dieu. This beer pours a light gold color with a moderate head. It packs a solid 9% ABV. It smells slightly fruity, and slightly spicy. Taking a sip, it comes through very mild, but I'm reminded of the LFDM. It's quite sweet, a little fruity, and noticibly less spice than the other Unibroue beers I've had. It doesn't have the same sharpness to the flavor that some of the other beers had. The sweetness and some of the fruit lingers, but it's not as rich as some of the others I've enjoyed. Consequently, I think this might be a great one for MaxxDaddy to look up, since he seems to go for the milder beers. I'm going to award this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Like the Maudite, it's still a good beer, but it doesn't live up to the high standards of the other Unibroue beers.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:13 AM

i agree with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s for don de dieu. i agree with your review but i think i'd add that it has a very watery mouthfeel and kind of weird carbonation... no head retention whatsoever iirc.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 AM

Both of those are true, although I might not say a "very" watery mouthfeel. It's not as thick as some. The head does die off quickly, though.