Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Torre is back

[ QUOTE ]
[ I predict that at least five of the following teams (Angels, Tigers, Red Sox, Indians, Mariners and Twins) all have better records than the Yankees next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you like to put any money on your prediction?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:38 PM

lol seatle could very well have a better record than the rockies thats for sure
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Torre is 67 for those wondering.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mondo,

You're worse than Aceshigh.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damm... that's harsh. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Torre is 67 for those wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if I were him, nothing left to prove, each season wearing more and more on him, go home and relax and enjoy the rest of his life stress free. There are more important things in life than dealing with Big Stein's chizz and Torre should ride off into the sunset. I only wish we could have sent him out on a high note with a WS.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Torre is back... edit... NOT

[ QUOTE ]
I've done a lot of thinking about this in the last 2 hours and have come to this conclusion:

The Yankees SHOULD have resigned him at 7.5 mil with a team option for 7.5 mil that is gt'd if he wins the AL. This keeps the players happy, encourages Posada, Rivera and A-Rod to resign and doesn't put a mark on the organization.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does Joe Torre deserve a raise? For only having Luis Vizcaino develop a dead arm instead of being out for the season?

[ QUOTE ]
What they did is just classic Steinbrenner. It was a complete slap in the face of Torre. Asking him to accept a pay cut is asking him to admit "I'm not as good as I used to be." It's a joke. A lot of us are too young to remember the old days of the menacing Steinbrenner, but I know from studying Yankee history that he used to do this [censored] to managers all the time. How many times did he fire and hire Billy Martin for Pete's sake?

[/ QUOTE ]

He kept Billy Martin on the Yankees' payroll through a lot of those years. I don't understand why it's a slap in the face to offer a guy being paid almost 3 times more than any other manager to be paid only double what the top manager is making.

[ QUOTE ]
Instead they have put a mark on the organization and pissed the players off. Who is closer to Torre than Posada and Rivera? Stupid [censored] move.

If they were going to insult him and low-ball him then they should have told him right away they didn't want him back then this stupid 10-day process. That would have been ok in everyone's eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You spin it how you want to - the Yankees can spin it that they wanted Torre back. Remember, this contract offered incentives that would pay Torre MORE if he achieved them. I think Torre was done - and I think it happened when Steinbrenner issued the 'win or you're fired' edict. He looked like a broken, defeated man on that bench - and while I'm not one to interpret from that all sorts of ominous portents for the Yankees based on the manager's expression, he looked like he'd had it, and I don't blame him.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 PM

As I Blue Jay fan, I am happy.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
b) the Rockies are nothing but a luckbox and can't win in the AL East, when they already HAVE won in the AL East (in an admittedly small sample).

[/ QUOTE ]

mondo,

first of all, the rockies were 1 game above .500 in week 21 of the season. they were bad. their record was equal to that of the blue jays. (sure, it's a different league/division, but the blue jays are bad.) things were very dire for the rox. so dire, that they had to go on a HISTORIC run just to make it to the playoffs. They played outstanding in that span. but that doesn't make them a fundamentally better team than they were in week 21. what do you think is closer to the truth:

[ ] the rockies are the best team in the NL.
[ ] the rockies are a slightly better than .500 team in the NL.

sure, they managed to play 21-7 or whatever to finish the regular season, and 21-of-22 including playoffs. as opposed to the yankees, who since their last WS appearance (4+yrs) are a .572 team (1st in mlb). talk about sample sizes.

edit: and second of all, you are an idiot.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:44 AM

SABR-Heads consider Torre to be a poor manager correct?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SABR-Heads consider Torre to be a poor manager correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

SABR-Heads consider the differences between most managers relatively small. There is no way to measure how a manager provides a good work environment, motivates players, etc. Whether they use their best bull pen options or second best bullpen options at any one time, or how they order the lineup, usually doesn't appear to change season long results much.

In Torre's case, did he make a mistake batting A-Rod 8th in the 2006 playoffs? Did A-Rod come to him and say I'm not feeling right, don't count on me, and Torre took the bullet without saying anything? Did Torre make a knee jerk reaction based on a few bad ABs? Should Torre make knee jerk reactions based on recent ABs? It's murky.

A managers real contributions/failures are difficult to measure because we frequently don't have enough information. Maybe next time your manager sticks in the wrong reliever he does it for a very good reason you aren't privy to.