Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: CallMeIshmael\'s \"The 50 Worst States in America\"

[ QUOTE ]
Tuq - whoah... are you saying AZ is better than CA? I have a buddy in Scottsdale (big golfer, also) and he and his wife are bored out of their minds (late 20s couple, he's there for a medical fellowship). I mean it's great weather and all, but isn't Arizona just one huge white suburb?

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a massive Hispanic population in AZ, so no. That said, it's been years since I've seen a black person that didn't play for one of our sports teams, so that will skew the numbers a bit.

I'm definitely not saying it's better, but it belongs in the conversation. E.g the Suns are going to win it all this year but the Mavericks and Clippers will give them problems along the way.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

49. Massachusetts
50. California

[/ QUOTE ]

grew up in MA. Been in Cali ~2 years. Feeling validated by unknown internet personality... priceless.

Al,

re: the weather thing. Obviously that's going to be a huge part of everyone's preferences. I don't buy that those of us who enjoy the seasons are forgetting about how bad the cold and humidity sucks. Other than friends and fam, that's the main thing I miss about MA. I miss the leaves, I miss breathing in the cold air. I can't wait to go back for christmas just for that. Whereas when I spend time in SD, I enjoy it, but I just get bored with it.

I certainly don't blame anyone for loving the hell out of SoCal weather, but it just ain't me.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:34 PM

KC - man you are so in denial it's not even funny. Also you're living in Sacto, right? That hardly qualifies as CA [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No I get your point. I was mainly thinking of walking cities anyway like NYC and Boston, where you are totally unshielded from the horrible weather. I do miss changing seasons sometimes, but I'm ok with sacrificing it for predictablility / general comfort being better.

Tuq - haha, actually let's talk about this, but I'd be up for a bet on who wins Pacific this year.

-Al
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 PM

Protocol,
Your list is MUCH worse then op
Old 10-30-2006, 07:44 PM

ugh don't play the Sacto card on me. It burns. I don't like it (so damn hot!), will leave soon enough, but it's still Cali... sort of. Plus, I spend a decent amount of time in SF because my sis lives there.

Last note on the weather: I was mostly talking about Boston, too. I just like it. Sure it gets old by the end of winter, but then spring hits and everyone is outside taking advantage of it. Sometimes I don't get Cali folk because they're never like, "hey it's nice out we need to go outside now!" It's par for the course for them.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:49 PM

kidcolin,

Like 70% of the episodes of COPS that I have seen take place in Sacramento. Discuss.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 PM

tuq,

Honestly I've been sort of a hermit since moving here. There are a lot of sections of the city that I never go to and just have a shady vibe (not really sure if they actually are, but it seems it). Where I live is mostly fine and sort of the "hip" part of town. There are tons of whitetrash hicks and gang banger types, so that explains the COPS thing. Just a couple weeks ago there was some shootings outside a bar a few blocks away. I guess it was much worse-safety wise just a few years ago.

I saw Mike Bibby at a bar once. So there's that going for it.

I almost moved to Tucson in your favorite state instead of Sac. I got a knack for picking great destinations. I was actually looking forward to it. It's just so different than anything I'm used to. Pretty sure I would've killed myself once summer rolled around though. But I found the mountains and scenery absolutely beautiful.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 PM

Just a little event to further support Alabama's case for spot #1.

[ QUOTE ]
Teen Arrested for Raping His Mother

Oct 27, 2006 11:04 AM CDT

Albertville, Ala. -- Police say a Marshall County teen raped his mother to get revenge on his brother.

Police say 19-year-old Gary Helms, Jr., raped his 45-year-old mother this past weekend at Willow Terrace Trailer Park on Doyle Drive in Albertville.

It's a twisted crime that police say Helms admits.

"From what we understand the rape stemmed from an argument between him and his brother. And apparently they were arguing over a girlfriend. And the rape was some sort of retaliation towards his brother," said Sgt. Jamie Smith of the Albertville Police Department.

It was unusual retaliation on an unsuspecting victim.

Authorities say Helms' mother was apparently passed out drunk on the couch when the rape started.

"During the attack she did come to and recognize her attacker. (Reporter: As her son?) As her son," said Smith.

That's when, according to the police report, the mother "tried to get away, but he held her down until he was finished."

"It's totally sick is what it is," said Smith.

Helms was arrested and charged with the 1st degree rape of his own mother.

Smith says it's hard to wrap your mind around.

"Shocked, shocked would be more a better way to describe it. That somebody would dip to the lows to do something of this nature. It's just pretty much a shock to the conscience of the general public," said Smith.

Helms is being held in the Marshall County Jail on $100,000 bond.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 PM

fwiw, I lived in central mass from ages 1-18 and now live in NC. Since leaving I've realized that mass is an excellent state. If you think NC is as great as it seems you do, then you're going to be pretty disappointed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (Not that NC is bad, it's just nothing special.)
Old 10-30-2006, 08:22 PM

Not technically a state, but, where would you put the District of Columbia on this list?

I find it funny that virginia is way at the top, and maryland is way at the bottom. It's all pretty much the same metro near DC.