Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Sit \'N Go strategy-reviews?

[ QUOTE ]
Noob question: will this book help my final-table-of-a-mtt skills? Cause im not really into sitandgos, but I play quite a few live MTTs (around 50ppl or so).

[/ QUOTE ]

Some, but it's different. There is a small section where Moshman explains the difference in play between SNG endgame with no antes, and tournament endgame with antes. (He uses a count of your stack to the BB, whereas Harrington uses M. Moshman says M is more useful than a BB count in tournaments, mainly because of the antes.)

It's also different because in SNGs, the bubble is at 4 players. In a tournament, the final table is all getting big bucks. But then, once in the money in a SNG, there's not a big difference between first and last payoff spots. There's a huge difference in a tournament.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noob question: will this book help my final-table-of-a-mtt skills? Cause im not really into sitandgos, but I play quite a few live MTTs (around 50ppl or so).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like HOH2 is what you need more than this book
Old 08-28-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some, but it's different. There is a small section where Moshman explains the difference in play between SNG endgame with no antes, and tournament endgame with antes. (He uses a count of your stack to the BB, whereas Harrington uses M. Moshman says M is more useful than a BB count in tournaments, mainly because of the antes.)

It's also different because in SNGs, the bubble is at 4 players. In a tournament, the final table is all getting big bucks. But then, once in the money in a SNG, there's not a big difference between first and last payoff spots. There's a huge difference in a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Jeff that the answer is "some, but it's different." I've always felt play in SnGs helps in final table play in MTTs for a couple reasons.

First is that both involve becoming short handed with large blinds and making appropriate adjustments for that. This begins to apply in MTTs over the last 2-3 tables as you periodically become short handed.

Second, your goal in an MTT should be to win (or at least make the top 3). The goal is obviously the same in a SnG. However the fact that you're winning something by making it to the final table and something additional moving up each place should change your strategy. I think I've gleaned some new knowledge from reading this book even though I almost always play MTTs instead of SnGs. But figuring out what thoughts and concepts apply, which don't at all, and which have some application with the right adjustments might not be obvious.

Edit: for grammer/spelling.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 AM

Thanks guys!
I guess I'll get the book anyway, expecially cause the live MTTs I play range from very small (30+ people) to small (80/90), and final table play seems often similar to late sng play.
PS: obviously I already have HOH 1-2-3 [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are nowhere near as lucrative as they were once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I also built my original roll playing SNG's, now they have turned into a push/fold fest as everyone plays premium hands. I really believe the edge between great players and decent players is so small that these are no longer worth the time. You're usually left with many players still left at the higher blind levels (due to the super tight play) turning these into crapshoots as the M or the average stack is so small. Maybe it's just me but MTT's and cash games are the way to go, with the exception of the 180 player SNG's.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM

The lower level 45 man tournaments are gold mines also. Well, silver mines, because they are by their nature lower level. Im not an old hand or anything, but even the 5.50 STTs seem very tight compared to the MTTs.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 AM

SNGs != STTs. People needs to realise. I built my roll at 55/18s, which are a different (and, then, easier) game.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:46 PM

Yeah, the phrases are a little unfortunate.

Essentially:

SNG - you know how many players there will be, but not when it starts

Tournament - you know when it starts, but not how many players there will be

There is a special class of SNG (or tournament) that has only 10 (or 9) players. The actual distinction between SNG and Tournament (shown above) doesn't help with strategy decisions. The unique distinction is the payout structure of 50/30/20 that really makes the strategy differences, and that is not determined by whether it's an SNG or tournament (a 10 player tournament will typically pay 50/30/20).

STT really describes it best, but SNG is typically assumed to mean STT 50/30/20.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 AM

I have to agree on the super tight part. Yesterday, I was the 1st to bust out -- after 45 minutes. That is tight play.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Study group on Part III