Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't read the thread, hope this hasn't been asked.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had coffee in my life. I'm pretty sure I don't like it, but I'd like to learn to.

Is it just me or is Starbucks incredibly intimidating to the novice coffee drinker? All those stupid names for the sizes/drinks are pretty scary when you know absolutely nothing about coffee.

Anyway, what should my first order be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't start. Once you get hooked, the $0.036 cup just isn't gonna do it for you.

"tall drip with room" minimizes your initial investment, and allows you to add as much creamer and/or sugar as you want.

---

OP:

I just thought of another question...I'm not sure how many different locations I've been to, maybe 50-75 in the US and Japan, and at only one specific location was I asked, "Mild or Bold?" when I ordered a drip. Is that supposed to be standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we're supposed to default to the featured coffee, which is usually a bold. Sometimes you can ask, but they shouldn't just say "bold or mild." They should identify the coffee blend, as in "Would you prefer the bold Yukon, or the mild House blend?"

Also, we're not supposed to say "here's your coffee", we are supposed to identify the blend as we hand it off.

[ QUOTE ]
They have the breakfast sandwiches them at the Sbux by my house. Very tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume they serve these all day (or when they run out of them)?

-Al

Those little coffee/brownie triangle things, just ridiculously delicious or is there a little bit of crack baked into each one?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

Obviously if someone doesn't have $4, they can't purchase a $4 coffee drink. I don't think that's worth mentioning.

However, people who can in no reasonable way come anywhere close to being able to afford Starbucks purchase it way more often than you probably imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't count someone who can spend $4.00 on coffee as economically challenged. If he can spend $4.00 on coffee but can't afford to sleep indoors, he's not poor, he's a bum. I think being a bum and being poor are very, very different things and should never be confused or thought of as having much to do with each other at all, but YMMV.

[/ QUOTE ]

That response sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your posts in this thread have been awesome by the way.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CB,

"I've also hooked up with a few customers."

Whoa, really? Stories, please. I would imagine "Starbucks dude" to be very low on the desirability scale for most women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Younger girls (college freshman) who haven't figured out how lame it is that I work at Starbucks yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's all give a silent thanks for the naivete of youth.

[ QUOTE ]
ClassicBob,

NBA POSTERS REPRESENT!!! Good job with this thread. Hope you're not still pissed at me cuz I forgot you in that list of Mavericks homers that one time.

Hey, I'm a 2-3X/week Starbucks customer (Iced Chai Latte, sue me). I typically go in one in the Safeway by my place since I have a 1/2 mile commute to work. However, there are two standalone Starbucksesses a mile to the west and another couple a mile or two the other way.

Anyway, I've heard a stigma attached to the ones in grocery stores and what not, that they're not "real" Starbucks. Any thoughts that the product or talent level of baristas may be inferior at those? My drink is ridiculously easy to make so they get it right, but the employees are Safeway employees, not Starbucks employees, and their pastry selection is disappointingly slim as well. What have you heard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to reply to this because the one I worked at was in a safeway.

I started there when the starbucks was first put in. Since it was opened yet, we got a full week of training in the kiosk without having to deal with customers. We spent a full 40 hours with a starbucks trainer before the store was even opened.

All future employees we hired were trained with the same structure and testing as regular starbucks employees. We had regular and inspectors to make sure everything as up to starbucks code and all that jazz.

People think it's a lower version of starbucks, but it's really exactly the same, albeit with limited pastries. The drink menu is still the same.

The employees get shafted though. The safeway union benefits, by and large, are alot worse than the starbucks ones. We didn't get any perks at all. Plus we had to deal with twice as many secret shoppers (safeway and starbucks).

Tup - oT's posts are awesome in every thread.

-Al
Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dared to order a Venti something from some indie place and the snide [censored] got huffy at me for using Starbucks lingo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a huge fear of doing this in an indy coffee shop. I'm sure it will happen when there's some hot pierced/tattooed chick behind the counter I'm trying to impress.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much do they match on 401k if you work 20hrs or less week.

What do I need to drink to get the most caffeine per ounce ratio. I am seeking to experience a meth like high solely from coffee. Is this remotely possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most benefits don't apply if you don't work at least 20 hours a week.

Straight Espresso is your best bet for caffeine per ounce.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When are you going to get rid of that sucky orange coffee cake thing and bring back the yummiest-evar banana-carmel-ish one???

Also how much is everyone there drinking the corporate koolaid? I would guess a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda dig the Orange Coffee Cake. If you're referring to the Banana Dulce coffee cake, I think it's gone for good, but it could be floating around at other locations.

Koolaid varies from store to store, person to person, really. I wouldn't say it's a super high percentage.