Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Re: **Official uNL Microbrew thread: July(LC/NC)**

gooooooooo forever

Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Looks good - I like the ideas about planing your hands but think a raise flop with a 2pair hand to facialtate AI by the river or an example of betting the turn and flop correctly to allow AI by the river w/o overbetting would have been more obvious/clearer than a change in preflop raise amount. BTW I'm really looking forward to the book just in case anyone thinks I'm whining [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi munkey,

you have summoned me to the dungeon by typing "Flynn" into your post.

awesome that you are looking forward to the book. i'm excited for you to read it. you are going to pick this stuff up quickly.

"two-pair" hands are a different animal from top-pair hands. here's the key: if you wanna win with suited connectors or weaker that rarely make top pair and are always weak top pairs when they do, you need steal equity. the SPR consequences and strategies for playing draw hands are detailed in volume one.

btw the definition we use for stack-to-pot ratio is: between two players, the smaller remaining stack divided by the preflop pot at the flop before any postflop betting.

SPR is just postflop/preflop. Postflop risk (the remaining stacks) divided by preflop reward (the final preflop pot).

one use of SPR is to know immediately what betting lines will get you all-in. we give a cheat-sheet table for that.

[ QUOTE ]

The risk/reward bit- I've been thinking about this recently -nothing earth shattering just a conceptual change of point of view - that lets me fold in alot crappy marginal spots and push my decent 60/40 edges more and get AI more. All the rest tricky/3betting/floaty/bluffy stuff is just noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

one thing i love and hate about SPR is how simple it really is. it's a reframing: once you learn how to do it, it can be hard not to think that way.

SPR allows you to manipulate the postflop/preflop risk/reward ratio. way too much to say about that for this post. executive summary is you can usually nudge the SPR in the right direction preflop. and more importantly, you will know BEFORE YOU GET YOUR CARDS how different hands are likely to play out depending on what happens preflop, which tells you a ton about what to play in which position.

screw training wheel hand charts you can do it on the fly.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Hands like small PPs/Scs preflop risk 4bbb to win potentially 100b+ stack, vs shorter stacks what size is the cutoff for SCs IP?

[/ QUOTE ]

one issue we cover early is how to estimate the ideal preflop pot size for your hand against a particular opponent.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Hands like AJ Qjx 2tone drawy flop OOP have big risk but small pot reward -RIO yo.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely.

[ QUOTE ]

3. In a 3bet pot with QQ OOP on Jxxr flop vs std TAG [TT=, AQ]with a PSB left is tricky -kind of an in between example.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should never, ever get into that situation and not want to get all-in when you flop an overpair with queens with a PSB behind. either you are too timid postflop, or you put too much money into the pot preflop. most important, make that decision before you call (or make) the 3-bet preflop.

whether you should bet or check once you get there is a different story.

[ QUOTE ]

4. EV calcs implicilty have a risk and a reward term esp simple 2 term ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes!

thanks for the great post munkey. btw i was "crazy monkey" in Indian Guides, have a crazy monkey tilt coffee mug that CCass had made for me, and have "monkey" in a couple online sigs and AIM. fear the munkey!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply Matt - I didn't expect a reply as doubted you lurked in the uNL dungeon [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] though I hope you and the others will be around SSNL some in the next few weeks - I expect quite a few questions from us and newer players when the book is out. I'll wait till then for some more discussion on S/PR e.t.c

Yes munkeys are teh Shizzle - get yousrelf a crazy monkey avatar FTW [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im happy with 600 hands as long as i profit, good luck losing ur lives

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with thac on this one.
It's hard to keep on your A/B game playing well for long periods - I always do badly after about 3hrs max -which is why rostucko attempts are often bad for me.

I know to just play for 2 hours and try to play my best although I've been a spewtard this month.

Try this flash game - I play it whilst mining tables.
I think highest level is 7 :doh: - teh lions remind me of Gelford - avatar subliminal mesages yo [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Zoo keeper
Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, i dont see how you're going to win playing 10k hands a day on a consistent basis. seems like recipe for SUICIDE

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you assume that I hate money

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ty

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't tell me you typed that into the chat resulting in him running away instead of rebuying. I'd really hate you for this if I were at your tables...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are so many wannabe-pros out there that are proud of their great player tilting skills and cost me a lot of dough doing it.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:46 AM

"Poker tilting skills" ???
Usually its more like "e-penis" skills.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:50 AM

i was being sarcastic towards their self-image. many players don't understand that you never need to send fish over the edge, because he is donating anyway. you can make an argument for trying to tilt someone with this if you actually want him to leave, like a tricky tag that has position on you and you manage to set mine him or something. but usually it's directed towards the huge donaters at the table who then get pissed off (and rightly so!) and leave. just a stupid move in every aspect. I wasn't implying that anyone here actually makes that mistakes. But there are a lot of people around who think this is a sure-fire way to tilt people and they are naturally prone to applying it to the wrong player.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Damn. I'm definitely ranting too much lately. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn. I'm definitely ranting too much lately. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you're quite right. We all live off the fish and we must make the fishes stay as pleasant as possible before we take their money.
Not only should we not berate or belittle the fish, we should make friends with them and berate the beraters.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:42 AM

GOD THIS TILTS ME!!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

***** Hand History for Game 6153409533 *****
$50 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Sunday, July 15, 10:35:33 ET 2007
Table Table 130251 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 5: Fixdal ( $139.27 USD )
Seat 1: N1CH3VO ( $132.63 USD )
Seat 4: mattie19861 ( $74.28 USD )
Seat 2: im_Joker_12 ( $49.75 USD )
Seat 6: cidney23 ( $46.75 USD )
Seat 3: kuluza ( $50 USD )
mattie19861 posts small blind [$0.25 USD].
Fixdal posts big blind [$0.50 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Fixdal [ Ad Kc ]
cidney23 folds
N1CH3VO folds
>You have options at Table 130246 Table!.
>You have options at Table 128339 Table!.
im_Joker_12 raises [$2 USD]
kuluza folds
mattie19861 calls [$1.75 USD]
>You have options at Table 127778 Table!.
>You have options at Table 130246 Table!.
Fixdal raises [$8 USD]
im_Joker_12 folds
mattie19861 calls [$6.50 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 4d, 8d, 8h ]
>You have options at Table 128339 Table!.
mattie19861 checks
Fixdal bets [$14 USD]
mattie19861 is all-In [$65.78 USD]
Fixdal folds
mattie19861 shows [ 7d, Ac ]a pair of Eights.
mattie19861 wins $96.43 USD from the main pot with a pair of Eights.

hate getting played back at in 3bet pots. I hate knowing he had 3 outs and yet I folded even more.
Closed Thread