Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

Cab drivers don't get base pay. They have to pay to rent the cab and then just keep the fares.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cab drivers don't get base pay. They have to pay to rent the cab and then just keep the fares.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why should I tip them then?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why should I tip them then?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess because it encourages good service in the future? But since you rarely get the same cab you are kinda relying on others to continue the selection process.

Also, I know the margin for a lot of cabbies has gone way down with gas prices going up so much etc. So in the absence of a fare hike it may be a way for you to ensure that the service is available in the future.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 PM

So why aren't I tipping bus drivers?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So why aren't I tipping bus drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh that is a totally different system with standard per hour pay. It also loses money and is state-assisted in many markets.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 PM

Coach driver for an independent company then. They are performing almost the same service as a taxi driver, no? Why is this not a tip-worthy job? Same for fast-food joints? There are soo many ridiculous double standards in this system.

And wrt a taxi driver - surely without tipping the motivation is still there if he is self-employed because he can get more fares and notch up more miles if he gives good, quick service.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are soo many ridiculous double standards in this system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I'm pretty ok with it though.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coach driver for an independent company then. They are performing almost the same service as a taxi driver, no? Why is this not a tip-worthy job? Same for fast-food joints? There are soo many ridiculous double standards in this system.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah there are. basically my tendency to tip is based on how much the person depends on it for their income and how good they are at their job.

my tipping for waitstaff is pretty consistently high because they depend heavily on it. my tipping for cabbies is a little lower by default and also more variable based on service, because it is basically a supplement to their income.

bus drivers are not allowed to accept tips here, dunno if it is different in other places. they also have a union, make a pretty decent wage, have excellent job security, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. It's because this is the society we live in. People accept a jobs at restaurants making $2/hr because they know that 99% of people will be tipping them. It's not because they're retarded and don't know how to get a job with higher base pay.

These "double standards" are well-defined, so it ends up not being a problem because wages and whether or not people tip in certain circumstances is established.

[ QUOTE ]

And wrt a taxi driver - surely without tipping the motivation is still there if he is self-employed because he can get more fares and notch up more miles if he gives good, quick service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again that Coach driver is getting a reasonable per hour wage.

Fast food employees get a per hour wage and not the 2.13 waitstaff wage. They also don't provide the same level of service.