Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Westbrook & (pick one)
Droughns @ OAK 1 33.33%
L. Jordon v CLE 2 66.67%
Jones-Drew @ WAS 0 0%
T. Henry v DAL 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: HUGE BRAG: Wife Now In Heaven

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is someone who believes that there may actually be something beyond the 60-100 insignificant years we are on this earth bat-[censored] crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

This, by the way, is why I pity religious people and am very glad I am not among them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get your point here. You think people who believe in an afterlife don't value their time on Earth?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Barret,

Where did God come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that any one religion is right over another, I'm simply saying that there could be (it's POSSIBLE) that there are forces in this universe that are beyond our comprehension as humans.

EDIT: For all of us Poker Players. It would seem it's +EV to believe in God.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at Pascal's Wager, you really can't figure out why thats wrong?

Hint: which God should I pick? Better not be wrong, God is wrathful!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is someone who believes that there may actually be something beyond the 60-100 insignificant years we are on this earth bat-[censored] crazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

This, by the way, is why I pity religious people and am very glad I am not among them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get your point here. You think people who believe in an afterlife don't value their time on Earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't saying that I don't value my time on this earth, I was saying that in the scheme of things 60-100 years is beyond insignificant.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy just said 60-100 INSIGNIFICANT years, wasn't that enough? Its not like I'm putting words in his mouth. Its also the logical conclusion. Eternity>>>>>>>>life on Earth, and I'm constantly told by Christians that if we don't go to Heaven then whats the point of living and so on.

Of course they get some joy out of life, they probably couldn't avoid it if they tried, but THEY are the ones calling it insignificant.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM

Ok, I'm not going to srs up another thread in BBV. If you guys want to continue this we can do it in PMs or we can do it in SMP. I'd be more than happy to discuss, but this is practically spamming on my part.

I apologize to BBV.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM

OP is getting fat.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP is getting fat.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFMFT
Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stating something does make it so, why would our evolution be retarded by science please explain that. You know evolution is more then just our fysical apperance or mental capacities right? ]For example one of the biggest evolutionary leaps we ever made was our ability to teach/preserve knowledge and skills to/for next generations before this everything we ever would have to be able to do had to be hardcoded into us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully understand this - evolution is predicated on certain traits providing a competitive advantage, and thus being passed on at a preferred rate, no?

Humans have progressed to the point where 'normal' evolutionary forces are somewhat repressed - especially the most 'base' of them all (death). We keep alive those who have genetic deficiencies or inefficiencies, and provide support for those with more nebulous deficiencies (such as the poor). Mating still uses portions of traits that are both attractive and lead to evolutionary success, but these are muted by opportunity/wealth, chance, societal pressure, etc. Additionally, reproductive success is NOT the same as mating success, and AFAIK there's no correlation between birth rates and even the vaguest of indicators of success (such as wealth or longevity).

We've developed the technology to reduce the "survival" part of survival of the fittest, to be quite overly simplistic about it.

NOTE: This, obviously, is pretty null for third-world nations - however, even there you can probably see that we've introduced luck as a sort of obviating factor for evolution, as some in (say) sub-Saharan Africa will become hardy and survive, while others will have UN aid land near their camp.
[ QUOTE ]
I dont want people to become what I want them to, thats what religion does, religion states something and expects you to believe it and never question it or ask for proof. I just want people to apply logic to everything and not take anything as a given.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like people to become more analytical too, but you explicitly state here "I don't want people to become like me" then state, essentially, "I wish they would behave like me."

This seems like exactly what you think religion does - that was my point.

Combine this with a reduced amount of evolution in humans, and while I agree with most of your points, they don't really seem to jive with your conclusions.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 PM

*** MODS: PLEASE MOVE TO THE RELIGION/NO ONE GIVES A CRAP FORUM AT YOUR EARLIEST CONVENIENCE. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. ***
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM

My view on religion

Lets just all agree to disagree...cause no one is changing anyone elses mind and all we're going to do is hurt eachothers feelers [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(was that gay enough for everyone?) LOL