Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

[ QUOTE ]
Al -

That's pretty much right on...good post.

oddjob -

This disappoints me:

ocdscale -

youtube blocked by work firewall. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

how so?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

how so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if that was unclear...I searched for "ching chong mofo" and didn't find it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Al,

I get what you're saying, and it's certainly anyone's right to get offended by whatever they feel like. I'm about as WASPy as they come, so I'm not going to pretend to know what should and shouldn't offend you. In CDC's situation, I think his reaction is reasonable. He got offended but it didn't make him go berserk or anything.

On the other hand, I think some of this stuff does get blown out proportion and there's a certain amount of hypocrisy within the "omg racism" demographic. I read a pretty solid piece involving race recently (specifically it was about language and focused on the word "niggardly"), and in it the author stated (paraphrasing here): "When it comes to minorities, there's black, then there's everyone else." Sure it's a broad stroke, but it's true. Yes, there are some gross large scale incidents in our country's past and daily snide, ignorant remarks, but they don't hold a candle to slavery and segregation. And as far as immigrants go, Asian populations have faired pretty well. High education rates, good jobs, good pay, etc.

The hypocrisy stems mostly from "progressive" groupthink. As others alluded to earlier, no one gets up in arms about bashing Irish or Italian folk (which I'm fine with). Where I grew up, making the standard Polish jokes about Portuguese people was standard (even amongst my Portuguese friends). Though less popular now, 4-5 years ago joking about priests raping alter boys was an easy way for a quick laugh at the college kegger. Those ones particularly annoyed me. Though I'm not at all religious (not even baptized or anything), I grew up in a predominantly catholic area. I knew a really good guy who went into the priesthood. I've got catholic friends. It's not that I don't think those jokes can be funny, it's just that I know if I busted out a good gay joke I'd get evil eyed by the same people. It just makes the whole thing kinda absurd to me. There's just this big double standard.

Sort of off topic, but in case you're interested in that article: link
Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's just this big double standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a big double standard. I suspect making fun of the Irish and the Italians was much more serious 100 years ago before they came under the "white" umbrella. The reason for the double standard would seem to be that there is substantial historical asymmetry in the status of the different racial groups, so asymmetry in what is appropriate behavior now isn't surprising. Catholics haven't taken quite the beating that black people or gay people in America have, and so there is a lot less sensitivity towards them. This seems pretty reasonable to me.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm about as WASPy as they come

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
amongst my Portuguese friends

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems pretty reasonable to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it seems pretty reasonable, especially from a large scale, sociological point of view. But from an individual's point of view, it's completely absurd. You're either a bigot or you're not. It's just easier to justify those thoughts/comments/jokes because the group in question hasn't had it "all that bad". Doesn't make it right, though.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This seems pretty reasonable to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it seems pretty reasonable, especially from a large scale, sociological point of view. But from an individual's point of view, it's completely absurd. You're either a bigot or you're not. It's just easier to justify those thoughts/comments/jokes because the group in question hasn't had it "all that bad". Doesn't make it right, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but on the scale of unfairnesses, I think being born into a situation where I'm more likely to be wealthy and educated probably wins over not being able to tell racist jokes.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM

secret,

ha. I should clarify, I'm not Portuguese. I'm some mix of French Canadian, Swedish, and Scottish (I think about 50/25/25, respectively). I'm pale, blond, and freckled. The area I grew up in, just outside of Fall River, MA, has a very large Portuguese population. Hence the (lame) joke, "What's the longest bridge in the world? The Braga Bridge. It goes all the way from Somerset to Portugal!"
Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM

I think it's pretty amazing how tolerant people are being of this girl.

Of course, you shouldn't going around filled with rage against people like this, but CDC's tone wasn't angry at all. He just felt offended, and it was completely justified.

And c'mon, Italian and Irish jokes are not the same as this.... they just aren't. Maybe 50 years ago it would have been the same, but I have never in my life met someone who racist against Italians or Irish. I have met people who are racist against Asians.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Al,

What's the deal with the Koreans taking over the LPGA? And how come they are all named "Lee" or "Park"?

[/ QUOTE ]

we finally were able to expand out athletic domination past ping pong, and short track speeed skating.

[/ QUOTE ]

and archery.