Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Beat: My roommates are up $2.6M in 6 weeks and I work a 9-5

honestly, i know i'm no where near krantz or whitelime, but i know i have friends call me up and ask me about hands all the time, i dont' think twice about it. sometimes i'm just BS'ing online and i'll talk to random people when i'm bored, soemtimes poker people ask me poker stuff, i dont' think much about it even if guys are lower stakes unless they're really bothering me or a leech or something. i knwo for me, sometiems i'm just talking poker and it's not tasking i enjoy it, def goes the same in real life.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude ill obv help you for free, im sure emil feels the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not your roommate but I am jewish, do i get free lessons? Help a member of the tribe out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-20-2007, 07:25 AM

Make that 3.1M.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
krantz=pr1nnyraid=jay
whitelime=emil

who was the 3rd guy in the video or was J-Mac the 3rd guy in the video

edit: i guess this would be a good time to ask how you met jay and emil. also, when did you notice that they were going in a different direction in regards to poker than you were?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me in the video.

Weird, I thought I answered how we became roommates in a big, long post, but I checked the thread and I guess I didn't.

Emil, myself, and our friend Tom (who used to play/post, not so much anymore AFAIK)knew each other through living in the same dorm at NYU and sharing affinities for beer, Halo 2, and playing in-dorm home games 3-4 times a week. We started looking for an apartment together right before our senior year and found a great place in a brand-new building in downtown Manhattan. Emil was playing 5/10nl at the time I believe, and Tom and I felt it was only a matter of a few months before we caught up with him and were all playing the same stakes (ha!). Tom ended up moving out, and Evan from 2p2 lived with us for a year. He moved out a few months ago, and we offered the vacated room to Jay. Emil knew Jay through HSNL and 3-bet.net, I believe, and I had met him a few months before he moved in. He moved in this past June and brought with him a poker work ethic that the apartment didn't have beforehand. He and Emil hit a sort-of Lennon-McCartney feed-off-each-other rhythm, and they both just sort of exploded.

How did I know when they were going in a different direction than me? What, you mean up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]?

Emil was always an amazing talent at poker, even back in our $10 buy-in home games sophomore year of college. While I was always aware that he was better than me, there are a couple of times when I realized just how far ahead of me he was.

One of my favorite stories comes from a little after we had moved into the apartment. I was four-tabling in my room, and Emil comes in holding a beer. He walked in half-way through the turn action on one of my tables. The river fell, and I was ready to check fold. Emil had seen literally two seconds of the hand, and he said, "He's got a busted flush draw. Check-call." Extremely confused, I checked, Villain potted it, I called, and Villain turned over a busted flush draw. I turned to Emil pretty flabbergasted, and he just nodded once and walked out of the room.

A little bit later that week he was playing 5/10 in the living room and had 33 for an underpair on a high semi-coordinated board after heavy action on each street. Emil's somehow got himself involved in a huge pot with a miniscule hand on a dangerous board, and I'm shaking my head to myself. Tom and I are watching and grimacing a little, he's going to have to fold in this huge pot. Emil says, "I think he's got AK or AQ with one diamond. I'm good here." (ROFL, okay, Mr. Ridiculously-Specific-Read, whatever. What suit is the other card, big-shot?) Villain shoves the turn and Emil snap calls. Villain turns over the Ace of diamonds and the King of clubs, and Emil's pathetic little pair of threes holds up on the board from hell. I think that hand was when I pretty much completely stopped ever second-guessing Emil while he was playing.

As for Jay, I didn't meet him until he was already really good at cards, so I met him on those terms. My girlfriend didn't meet him until he moved in though. A few days after he moved in, he was playing 25/50 I believe and had a $20k day. I mentioned to her that the new roommate just had a $20k day and she started laughing hysterically to my face. "I tell people that YOU make great money playing cards, and Jay just totally blew you AWAY! HAHAHAHAHA!" Wonderful girl. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One of my favorite stories comes from a little after we had moved into the apartment. I was four-tabling in my room, and Emil comes in holding a beer. He walked in half-way through the turn action on one of my tables. The river fell, and I was ready to check fold. Emil had seen literally two seconds of the hand, and he said, "He's got a busted flush draw. Check-call." Extremely confused, I checked, Villain potted it, I called, and Villain turned over a busted flush draw. I turned to Emil pretty flabbergasted, and he just nodded once and walked out of the room.

A little bit later that week he was playing 5/10 in the living room and had 33 for an underpair on a high semi-coordinated board after heavy action on each street. Emil's somehow got himself involved in a huge pot with a miniscule hand on a dangerous board, and I'm shaking my head to myself. Tom and I are watching and grimacing a little, he's going to have to fold in this huge pot. Emil says, "I think he's got AK or AQ with one diamond. I'm good here." (ROFL, okay, Mr. Ridiculously-Specific-Read, whatever. What suit is the other card, big-shot?) Villain shoves the turn and Emil snap calls. Villain turns over the Ace of diamonds and the King of clubs, and Emil's pathetic little pair of threes holds up on the board from hell. I think that hand was when I pretty much completely stopped ever second-guessing Emil while he was playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome
Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were lookin' for that third three, but you forgot that Professor Green folded it on Fourth Street and now you're representing that you have it. The DA made his two pair, but he knows they're no good. Judge Kaplan was trying to squeeze out a diamond flush but he came up short, and Mr. Eisen is futilely hoping that his queens are going to stand up. So like I said, the Dean's bet is $20.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Also, I want to say that this is probably my second favorite BBV thread ever, after the "a pair has only 2 outs, you're a 3-1 dog" thread.

J-Mac, I like your style.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:39 PM

pr1nnyraid: solar energy flowin through me
Old 07-20-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you working again?

The EV of hanging around your apartment watching, talking, and learning >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> $50k/yr.

FFS

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a fair # of years in the working world and I agree with this 100%.

You can always get another job.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM

Best idea is to get ur roommates to pay u 60k or whatever / year and u clean and cook for them. voila. sounds like a sweet deal to me