Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

[ QUOTE ]
btw just a note, I am positive that a decent % of the people that say that they would win the bet easily and then mock durrr for losing, would not actually be a favorite in the bet. Some of you are, but I'd be almost certain that most of you aren't. Almost every chessplayer whom has never played in a tournament drastically overrates their ability. If you have never played in a tournament and think that you are about 1600, you are probably about 1200-1300. Basically just subtract 300-400 points from how good you are, and that's how good you actually are.

I know this through tremendous exposure to players who have never played rated games, yet seem to think they know how good they are.

Sorry to be mean, I just find it silly how so many people are talking about how easily they would win the bet, without once giving their actual rating or any credentials of any sort. I'm mainly saying this to defend durrrr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtains, you know nothing about chess. I would crush you if we made this bet. I play in the park by my house all the time and basically never lose.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw just a note, I am positive that a decent % of the people that say that they would win the bet easily and then mock durrr for losing, would not actually be a favorite in the bet. Some of you are, but I'd be almost certain that most of you aren't. Almost every chessplayer whom has never played in a tournament drastically overrates their ability. If you have never played in a tournament and think that you are about 1600, you are probably about 1200-1300. Basically just subtract 300-400 points from how good you are, and that's how good you actually are.

I know this through tremendous exposure to players who have never played rated games, yet seem to think they know how good they are.

Sorry to be mean, I just find it silly how so many people are talking about how easily they would win the bet, without once giving their actual rating or any credentials of any sort. I'm mainly saying this to defend durrrr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtains, you know nothing about chess. I would crush you if we made this bet. I play in the park by my house all the time and basically never lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 06-28-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe so, but can you beat him at "Guitar Hero?"

Actual footage:

Curtains shredding a guitar while not playing chess
Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 PM

"btw just a note, I am positive that a decent % of the people that say that they would win the bet easily and then mock durrr for losing, would not actually be a favorite in the bet."

i will make a bet.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"btw just a note, I am positive that a decent % of the people that say that they would win the bet easily and then mock durrr for losing, would not actually be a favorite in the bet."

i will make a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

My statement is not intended to be a green light for everyone who thinks they personally are the exception to this rule to comment on it.

btw if we are playing speed chess (3-5 minutes per side) I will almost certainly be a huge favorite against anyone here that has never played in a USCF rated tournament, or will play any USCF rated player under 1600.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:29 AM

One of my first comments was how intelligent durrr is, and I hope I speak for everyone when I say that being inexperienced in chess and lacking some basic fundamentals =/= dumb.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 AM

sn=hazard1414 on yahoo chess, i'm at 'intermediate --> adequate' if anyone wants to play some blitz. holla
Old 06-29-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
speaking of chess and grandmasters, check this gangsta shiet out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZmpsl3jI0

[/ QUOTE ]
This guy's a shyster, check out the blackjack vid he has up:
OH, you HIT a 16 vs a 6?!?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my first comments was how intelligent durrr is, and I hope I speak for everyone when I say that being inexperienced in chess and lacking some basic fundamentals =/= dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the point I wanted to make too.

I was one of the people who said Durr is clearly awful at chess, but I don't feel I was attacking or slamming him.

After seeing the first 5 moves of games 1, it is already clear that he has no formal training and most likely has never read a book on chess.

There is absolutely no shame in being a weak chess player under these circumstances, and no one is questioning his intelligence.

I do agree with Curtains that most people who think they could beat him with a rook advantage are mistaken. They would surely put up a better fight though.

In fact, I think it would take a very strong player to win outright a majority of the time. You would have to count draws as wins for most people to have a chance.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 AM

If durr wants more action, I suspect I can find someone to back me to play against him in the same bet amount ($50K) and terms (rook down, G/60, best of 3 match) against him when I get to Vegas for the main event. My rating is about 2150.