Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

El Diablo,

I tip more on a mojito usually than I do for a vodka/rocks.

I think Schneids hit it right on the head. I have found that tipping $1 per hand won...even if it is just the blinds, gets as much or more respoect from dealers than the guys that occasionally throw $2 or more. And I only play low limits. As for cocktail waitresses, I have found that $2 per drink will pretty much get you to the front of the line in about every card room I have played.

Mac

[ QUOTE ]

With the way taxis are already overpriced + the way some of you tip, why not just rent a car? 2 or 3 taxi trips pays for a rental car. And no worrying about awkward moments between you and your driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c after 15 hrs of drinking and playing black jack i probably shouldnt drive anywhere?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

everyone's point is that tipping is a good way to elude taxes for all involved, and in the end keeps prices of meals/cab rides/etc. down, and the level of service up. it's not perfect, but tipping >> not tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, presumably this is another difference between Europeans and Americans. We'd:

a.) rather people were assured of a living wage without leaving it to people's discretion.
b.) rather people actually *paid* their taxes, so that we have a safety net for the times when we get some chronic illness, or are laid off from work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that in the US, a isn't based on random whims, it's based on being good at what you do. if you're a bad cab driver, you should get bad tips, and if you're a bad poker dealer, you should get bad tips - when you realize you're making [censored] money, you should go find some other work and do it better.

as for b, in the US we don't hold the delusion that our taxes really end up benefitting anyone - and it's a pretty easy proof for why $3 more in the government's pocket is worse than $1 in the restauranteur, $1 in the waitress, and $1 in my pocket. but I digress, and will stop this here.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 PM

This thread is kind of interesting.

I consider myself to be kind of cheap and I dislike the whole institution of tipping, but I usually tip around 33% for taxi fares.

I'm not sure why but for some reason this feels reasonable to me...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can i hijack with another tipping phenomenon? I have talked to my dad about this a few times. I have always tipped really well for really good service, mostly because I like really good service. But i find that if i ever go somewhere high end, I generally get horrible service because they think I wont tip well since I am young and dont dress really nice or somesuch when i am not working. When I get service like this, I tip poorly. I feel like there is some neverending cycle being perpetuated here. Someone assumes I will tip bad, serves me as such, and I tip them bad. I would really like the opportunity to tip them well, but it makes no sense if i am ignored for the entire meal. I am sure other people are in the same boat. what do you do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you don't live in LA or NY, where you really can't tell if someone's almost homeless or a millionaire.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

SF bay area. close enough i think.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My tipping depends entirely on how I'm running, in life and in Vegas. As far as I'm concerned, everyone in the service industries is in the business of helping Los Feliz Slim make money, one way or another. If I'm running good, they share in the proceeds. If not, we ALL need to cut back and figure out ways to get me back on top. The way I see it, it's not a tip, it's profit sharing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful thinking!

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem is they look at me funny when I suggest that they all hold some sort of convention to work out some ways to make me happier. I'd have my housekeepers run the thing, they truly understand that their contribution to Team Slim is an important one. They could really teach everybody a thing or two.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I consider myself to be kind of cheap and I dislike the whole institution of tipping, but I usually tip around 33% for taxi fares.

[/ QUOTE ]

33% for performing a service that you could easily do? Even though your last name doesnt have 6 consecutive consonants? lol.

I don't even know why we need the driver. It would rock if taxis were just parked randomly and if you needed one, you go in and slide a credit card to get the car running and choose whether or not you want insurance. Then drive to where you gotta go, and leave the car for the next user.

This would rule so hard.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

33% for performing a service that you could easily do? Even though your last name doesnt have 6 consecutive consonants? lol.

I don't even know why we need the driver. It would rock if taxis were just parked randomly and if you needed one, you go in and slide a credit card to get the car running and choose whether or not you want insurance. Then drive to where you gotta go, and leave the car for the next user.

This would rule so hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG yes they have services like that, as previously discussed, called CAR RENTALS.