Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Jman\'s High Stakes Poker Trip Report (long)

[ QUOTE ]
what douchebags

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-16-2007, 11:41 PM

JMan,

I'm a fan of your game and your 2+2 personality, so I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your time on HSP, and I'm sure you will have many other chances to get famous. But I hope you realize the irony behind sacrificing your playing style for the purpose of possibly getting a bigger spotlight later, and then screwing yourself out of the same shot for that reason, etc...

On the one hand, you're satisfied and confident that your game is way above the level of the NL players who the public falsely adores, and then you betray that asset by trying to direct some of that false-adoration your way, saving your money for the longshot possibility that you would get onto day 3 and not playing your best LAG game (or whatever your style is).

Now, on the other hand, if you weren't making a calculated effort to make it onto the day 3 broadcast, you could have been more "in the moment," relaxed, talked smack, played your game, and made the right impression for the right reason.

Basically, I'm just trying to say that chasing fame--especially poker fame--is a bit counterproductive and also a little lame, imo. If you want to dedicate your life to being the most famous, well-known or important poker player, look to Phill Hellmuth's example, because he has certainly achieved that much as far as his public persona goes. But if being the best is reward enough in itself, then it shouldn't matter at all what the public thinks...and you oughta know that no consensus of poker players will ever name one individual player "the best."
Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JMan,

I'm a fan of your game and your 2+2 personality, so I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your time on HSP, and I'm sure you will have many other chances to get famous. But I hope you realize the irony behind sacrificing your playing style for the purpose of possibly getting a bigger spotlight later, and then screwing yourself out of the same shot for that reason, etc...

On the one hand, you're satisfied and confident that your game is way above the level of the NL players who the public falsely adores, and then you betray that asset by trying to direct some of that false-adoration your way, saving your money for the longshot possibility that you would get onto day 3 and not playing your best LAG game (or whatever your style is).

Now, on the other hand, if you weren't making a calculated effort to make it onto the day 3 broadcast, you could have been more "in the moment," relaxed, talked smack, played your game, and made the right impression for the right reason.

Basically, I'm just trying to say that chasing fame--especially poker fame--is a bit counterproductive and also a little lame, imo. If you want to dedicate your life to being the most famous, well-known or important poker player, look to Phill Hellmuth's example, because he has certainly achieved that much as far as his public persona goes. But if being the best is reward enough in itself, then it shouldn't matter at all what the public thinks...and you oughta know that no consensus of poker players will ever name one individual player "the best."

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaniac,

He was already told that he was in for day 3 by the producers. He was just an alternate on day 2 who happened to get on when someone else quit. It wasn't really a matter of waiting for a bigger spotlight, rather just making sure that he would be able to honor his commitment to play on day 3 and meet the required buyin, even if he busted on day 2.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 PM

Phil Hellmuth called me a nit, which is probably the most embarrassing thing that I can remember happening to me in my lifetime.

What did you do that made him call you a nit?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

High Stakes Folding actually had me laughing out loud. Great work.

[/ QUOTE ]
The 2 call buttons did it for me.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Shaniac,

He was already told that he was in for day 3 by the producers. He was just an alternate on day 2 who happened to get on when someone else quit. It wasn't really a matter of waiting for a bigger spotlight, rather just making sure that he would be able to honor his commitment to play on day 3 and meet the required buyin, even if he busted on day 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my, I feel dumb. I had it the other way around in my head.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

High Stakes Folding actually had me laughing out loud. Great work.

[/ QUOTE ]
The 2 call buttons did it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely the best photo shop ever CALL CALL = pure genius
Old 05-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Technically, there were three blinds in the game, not two blinds and a straddle. The blinds were $300/$600/$1200, and if someone wanted to straddle, that made it $2400 to go. This created additional action given the size of the buy-ins resulting in some hands viewers won't want to miss.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:02 AM

lol that photoshop is amazing.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice trip report. Two questions:

1. Did filming stop during an allin for Phil to do an insurance deal?
2. What's a "FPS-MAchine"?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. I doubt it stopped filming, but the hands don't continue until insurance negotiations are over.
2. Fancy Play Syndrome machine.