Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Bonds Haters: Please post why you hate Bonds

[ QUOTE ]
Captain Obvious says: RedBean is a Bonds apologist! Nothing will change that!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure apologist is the word. I was thinking "rabid" or "obsessed" fan would be the term to use here. He knew his hat size. Who memorizes their favorite player's hat size?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:29 PM

SC-

My point is just that steroids only really (in my mind) befoul counting stats and not stats that are driven on averages or freak luck stuff like hitting streaks. For many other reasons beyond steroids, I think counting stats are meaningful records are kinda silly. (mostly differences in eras, usage patterns, and overall training and health of players)
Old 05-08-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SC-

My point is just that steroids only really (in my mind) befoul counting stats and not stats that are driven on averages or freak luck stuff like hitting streaks. For many other reasons beyond steroids, I think counting stats are meaningful records are kinda silly. (mostly differences in eras, usage patterns, and overall training and health of players)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

Note: Average stats also increase a good bit and with that the "luck stats" become more likely to occur.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Captain Obvious says: RedBean is a Bonds apologist! Nothing will change that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. My only hangup with the entire thing is the folks who assert as fact things that didn't take place, ie. admission of steroid use.

One would think there is sufficient evidence otherwise without feeling the need to fabricate it, but all I continually hear about is an admission that didn't really happen, and supposition about head size as "indisputable proof".

But I do admit, I do enjoy needling the Bonds-haters as they seem to become unnervingly enraged when they encounter someone who doesn't blindly agree with them that Bonds is a monster who has no redeeming qualities.

Personally, I think all ballplayers should be treated equally, and anyone who violated league policy should be punished as specified. They should all be held to the same burden of proof and due process, and the MLB CBA should be adhered too.

If anything, I'm pro-union, not a Bonds apologist. As odd as it sounds, what Jackie did for race, Bonds may be able to due for pricks. 50 years from now, I don't want a player I actually like being ostracized simply because he doesn't cater to the sportswriters, or because people don't like him based on public opinion. I'd want him treated fairly as outlined in the written policies agreed too between the union and the league, no more no less.

The game is played on the field, and the by the rules both sides agreed to in the CBA. It shouldn't be decided in the sports pages. Sure, it can be debated and opined about, but it should be legislated, nor should the league be pressured or capitulate to the mob of public opinion into treating a player unfairly according to the agreement.

Of course, that's not how the real world works, and this is a prime example. It's almost as if people don't really care either way about steroids and their widespread abuse in the sport, but use the issue merely as a convenient excuse to persecute a guy they have it out for, meanwhile paying little if any attention to other players/sports. That he has not violated league policy, while several others have is seemingly unimportant to many.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:40 PM

El D, people love drama. Our society loves heroes and villans. By and large our "press" has become a demon that plays on this desire of the public. What gets reported nowadays? Anna Nicole Smith, some wacko from VT, Alec Baldwin, an Autistic school boy, but nothing really romotely approaching news, or worse yet, nothing remotely approaching objective news.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SC-

[/ QUOTE ]

steroids could improve performance in all kinds of areas, be it RBI or BA or .eqa
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He knew his hat size. Who memorizes their favorite player's hat size?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing as it may seem, typing "bonds hat size" in Google has the following effects:

1. giving you his hat size.
2. making people think you have this memorized.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing as it may seem, typing "bonds hat size" in Google has the following effects:

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, try typing in "Bonds + Steroids". See what facts come up.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL on #2 - I didn't know if you were one of "those fans". Like DeNiro's character in the Wesley Snipes baseball movie. I think it was called "The Fan". I can admire being a strong defender of one's opinions and favorite players. Memorizing strange personal data about players = psychotic.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are completely irrational and frankly not worth me wasting my time arguing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you slowed down, took a breath, and read the posts real carefully....you might just notice that the only thing we disagree on is that you asserted as fact that Bonds made an admission of steroid use, and I disagreed.

Call me irrational if you like(red herring?), but I still maintain it is a faulty assertion.