Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Panthers vs Seahawks
Panthers 22 64.71%
Seahawks 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Re: I\'m 6\'3 and 215lbs, what are my chances vs: Mayweather?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You must live in some sort of fantasy world where you get off dreaming of what would happen if a wooly mammoth fought a unicorn and similar epic battles. To further illustrate the absurdity of your thinking process, Bob Sapp has lost fights in both MMA and Kickboxing to people weighing in excess of 100lbs less than him.

The fact that your "logic" keeps bringing you back to the notion that the bigger you are the better you must be at fighting, makes me believe you've never been close to being in any sort of physical confrontation. It must be like your kicking prowess that you mentioned, where you could've been in a lot of fights, but you just haven't been.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've said at least 3 times that effective strength levels off around the 230-250lbs range. Bob Sapp is like 350lbs, and he is well above that optimal range. He has absolutely no speed or talent, he's just strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your foot must be right at home in your mouth. Bob Sapp has no talent? He must've just got lucky when he defeated Ernesto Hoost twice...and had winning records in both MMA and K1

I mean Hoost is a total chump:
Titles
1990 IKBF Light Heavyweight World Champion
1990 ISKA Light Heavyweight World Champion
K-1 World Grand Prix 1993 Finalist
K-2 World Grand Prix 1993 Champion
K-1 World Grand Prix 1997 Champion
K-1 World Grand Prix 1999 Champion
K-1 World Grand Prix 2000 in Nagoya Finalist
K-1 World Grand Prix 2000 Champion
K-1 World Grand Prix 2001 in Melbourne Champion
K-1 World Grand Prix 2002 Champion

I'm far from a Bob Sapp fan, but to say he's unskilled and slow is ridiculous. You simply cannot stand in the ring in two competitive fight sports and come out with a winning record if you are unskilled. Before ever stepping into the ring these guys have logged countless hours sparring and fighting at amateur levels and underground. Your statement is only topped in absurdity by you saying that effective strength has some sort of finite cap based on bodyweight. The physical factors limiting strength are things like bone density and tendon/ligament strength.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:58 AM

Stephan i think it's time to post a picture of yourself so we can more accurately analyze this situation.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stephan i think it's time to post a picture of yourself so we can more accurately analyze your potential.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-06-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
recondite - definitely agree.

daryn - mayweahter blindfolded. my money's definitely on mayweather. although this does give OP the chance to run-away after the first couple punches land and he realizes he's screwed.

reading stephan's babbling about how good a boxer he would suddenly be if he trained for a year is like listening to someone who thinks they could run a marathon in under 3:00 or could hit .220 in the major-leagues or could kick 45 yard FG's regularly if they just 'practiced real hard'.

It's just ridiculous.
For most people, no amount of practice will help you to accomplish these goals.
The same goes for trying to turn yourself into
a half-decent boxer in one year.

[/ QUOTE ]

the most intelligent post here
it reminds me of a guy a few years on my baseball team who swore he could hit good major league pitching (said he would hit atleast 200)
the best part was he thought he would have trouble with pedro but not johnson since johnson is a lefty (and in the prime of his career at the time)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Athleticism is probably rare to a bunch of gambling nerds. Even at my weight, I can run a sub 6 minute mile, I can easily hit a 40 yard field goal. I was considering trying out for kicker for UCONN.

[/ QUOTE ]
This part is hilarious. I'm not athletic at all, 5'11, 180 pounds, and haven't done anything physical in at least a year, and I'm willing to bet I could run a sub 6 minute mile in 3 weeks max of moderate training.

Also, you severely underestimate how fast Mayweather's punches are. I highly doubt you have the reflexes to dodge a jab from his left hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow considering trying out for a team that makes you a great player
if you could "easily" hit a 40 yeard fg you would be in the nfl forget uconn
Old 05-06-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Mike Tyson vs. Chewbacca? Tyson's a bad dude, but he's no Wookiee. Chewbacca in three by TKO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd pretty hard at this and it got no other love in this thread.

Also,

[ QUOTE ]
OP - doesn't matter about the reach. It would take about 3 seconds for him to dodge a punch, get inside and land about a dozen body shots. While you're sitting there wondering what happened to your breath (and possibly a few ribs), he would then break your nose, orbital bone, etc. until you eventually cry. This would all take about 2 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You could never withstand a SWAT team. They would flank you, throw in a concussion grenade..."
Old 05-06-2007, 06:39 PM

this thread reminds me of a quote:

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit." - Mike Tyson

it's one thing to even have the world-class skills, speed, agility. but pain sucks, and to stay on your feet maintaining your defenses and wits against the next painful blow while recovering from the first one sounds herculean to me, and i don't think your hercules
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 AM

not that it's important at all, but it appears that 9 of mayweather's 24 pro career kos were 1st or 2nd round (ko or tko). none of those have happened since late 1998, but whatever, i don't think he's gotten worse at boxing. he's just boxing better boxers.

i'm pretty sure that it's been shown that basically anyone, properly trained, could KO a nonblocking opponent, with bare knuckles.

going on the assumption that OP would basically be a nonblocking opponent, i'm gonna just go out on a limb and say that if this guy can land 200 punches or so out of 400 in 12 rounds on another top professional boxer in his weight class, he can probably land something closer to 800 out of 800 punches on OP. i'm going to further guess that this means he would KO op.

OP would probably have a shot if he got to wear headgear, impact shielding body armor, and got ot fight with brass knuckles. then again, this really wouldn't do much about the problem of getting punched in the nose and mouth repeatedly. maybe a football helmet too and he'd be able to compete.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread reminds me of a quote:

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit." - Mike Tyson

it's one thing to even have the world-class skills, speed, agility. but pain sucks, and to stay on your feet maintaining your defenses and wits against the next painful blow while recovering from the first one sounds herculean to me, and i don't think your hercules

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. People seriously underestimate pain and its even more important result, fear. A lot of people can shrug off pain, but it still works on them inside, resulting in fear. Even the very best at the top experience fear constantly. And it can completely cripple performance and ultimately can even determine a fight.

One of the things a pro has gone through that the guy on the street hasn't is constantly dealing with fear and still fighting anyway. Almost all regular guys would completely collapse in the face of that kind of fear. No sh*t, all balla bragging aside.

A guy humiliating you like Floyd could, and hurting you at the same time, would send almost anyone's mind into outer space. If you got back in time to witness your own knock-out, you'd be lucky. Most would just get tunnel vision and just fixate on the punches before the ones that actually knocked them out.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fight would look exactly like this. Except that you would die instead of getting your ass knocked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might look like this instead:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/468719...ut_his_friend/