Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

btw its bedtime. More answers to follow in the morning. I hope I didn't miss anything so far!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread,tx for taking time answering stuff!
10 players, you have t1500 before posting blind, avg t1500, all folded to you in sb and you pick up A6, no read on bb. How to play when blinds are,lets say:
1) 30/60
2) 40/80
3) 50/100

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Usually raise sometimes call
2. Usually raise to like 240
3. Almost always raise...to about 275. My hand is weak enough where Im willing to fold to an allin against a random player, even though simply open pushing is somewhat +EV. In some situations I may open push, but in general people aren't reraising too much in this situation and they play pretty tight. Open pushing is clearly +EV though and also should be in example 2 (However I wouldn't recommend it in 40-80 situation).

Also if I don't have a read on someone it generally means they aren't very good, which often means they are too tight in this exact situation.

You are risking just 175 to win 200, so you are getting a pretty good price on your bet, and they almost always fold over 50% of the time. Realize I did the math in that manner, because you must at least call preflop with A6 in this spot, so in theory the pot is actually 200 and you are only risking 175 more, as your call is a given. If you had a hand like 72o and decided to steal I would consider it risking 225 to win 150, hurting your odds quite a bit. This is a point that I don't see stressed that often, but not really sure if its a big deal. But basically it means that when you have a decent hand and are deciding whether to call or raise, you are getting better odds than when you are deciding whether to fold or raise. Does that make any sense at all, someone please tell me? In some ways it seems to, but in other ways it doesn't at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I'd probably complete with all 3.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread,tx for taking time answering stuff!
10 players, you have t1500 before posting blind, avg t1500, all folded to you in sb and you pick up A6, no read on bb. How to play when blinds are,lets say:
1) 30/60
2) 40/80
3) 50/100

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Usually raise sometimes call
2. Usually raise to like 240
3. Almost always raise...to about 275. My hand is weak enough where Im willing to fold to an allin against a random player, even though simply open pushing is somewhat +EV. In some situations I may open push, but in general people aren't reraising too much in this situation and they play pretty tight. Open pushing is clearly +EV though and also should be in example 2 (However I wouldn't recommend it in 40-80 situation).

Also if I don't have a read on someone it generally means they aren't very good, which often means they are too tight in this exact situation.

You are risking just 175 to win 200, so you are getting a pretty good price on your bet, and they almost always fold over 50% of the time. Realize I did the math in that manner, because you must at least call preflop with A6 in this spot, so in theory the pot is actually 200 and you are only risking 175 more, as your call is a given. If you had a hand like 72o and decided to steal I would consider it risking 225 to win 150, hurting your odds quite a bit. This is a point that I don't see stressed that often, but not really sure if its a big deal. But basically it means that when you have a decent hand and are deciding whether to call or raise, you are getting better odds than when you are deciding whether to fold or raise. Does that make any sense at all, someone please tell me? In some ways it seems to, but in other ways it doesn't at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I'd probably complete with all 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a fan of limping, especially in the last one where I suspect open pushing is at least +.2% against a random opponent, and likely much more, in the neighborhood of .5%
Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 AM

Ok, here another SnG-Fan about to change to Cash-Games... given the 4 opportunities of:
a) playing at FullTilt with 27% rakeback
b)playing at Party without any rakeback
c) opening a new account at Stars
d) opening a new account at xy.

What do you recommend and why.

P.S.: No PMs or suggestions of anyone offering me great deals wanted... or you are in big trouble with my several pimps...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM

Hi Curtains,

I hope this is ok to post a hand in The Well (as there is little chance you answer in the original thread)
The title is : cbet or not cbet on flop ? on turn ?
Buy in is 15+1$ on Stars.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1295)
MP1 (t1120)
MP2 (t1620)
Hero (t1460)
CO (t1380)
Button (t1605)
SB (t1470)
BB (t2050)

Preflop: Hero is in MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, <font color="red">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t90, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>

Flop: (t285) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t285) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150

River: (t585) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120

Villain was unknown at that time.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Curtains,

I hope this is ok to post a hand in The Well (as there is little chance you answer in the original thread)
The title is : cbet or not cbet on flop ? on turn ?
Buy in is 15+1$ on Stars.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1295)
MP1 (t1120)
MP2 (t1620)
Hero (t1460)
CO (t1380)
Button (t1605)
SB (t1470)
BB (t2050)

Preflop: Hero is in MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, <font color="red">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t90, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>

Flop: (t285) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t285) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150

River: (t585) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120

Villain was unknown at that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I usually bet here just to end the hand, get rid of some of his outs, and not have to call 2 bets in case they are crazy. I'd be more likely to check behind with KK/QQ.

Betting the turn seems fine and I too would call the river.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, here another SnG-Fan about to change to Cash-Games... given the 4 opportunities of:
a) playing at FullTilt with 27% rakeback
b)playing at Party without any rakeback
c) opening a new account at Stars
d) opening a new account at xy.

What do you recommend and why.

P.S.: No PMs or suggestions of anyone offering me great deals wanted... or you are in big trouble with my several pimps...

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I can't tell you because I only play at Pokerstars and haven't ever played cash games at FullTilt or anything since the legislation. Why can't you get rakeback on Party?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Hey Curtains, thanks for the post. Being so close to AC, was just wondering if you've played live down there at all. I play 25 &amp; 50 NL online and have found the $1/$2 game at AC to be much softer than even those games (if only you could sit at 10 tables live...). Just curious if you've played the bigger games down there and what you thought of them. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Curtains, thanks for the post. Being so close to AC, was just wondering if you've played live down there at all. I play 25 &amp; 50 NL online and have found the $1/$2 game at AC to be much softer than even those games (if only you could sit at 10 tables live...). Just curious if you've played the bigger games down there and what you thought of them. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah never play there really. I havent played live poker in about 2 years.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Curtains.
Why would rather be an MTT pro if it has a lower hourly and increases variance?