Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Re: ***Official*** LOST Season 3 Episode 9 Discussion -spoiler free-

[ QUOTE ]
i was pretty dissapointed and i didnt even watch the previews last week.

jacks lack of asking good questions is soooo maddening, and while he had 100% of the leverage why the [censored] didnt he negotiate his own freedom along with juliet's life.

[/ QUOTE ]I thought that he had already negotiated his freedom(and return from the island) in exchange for the surgery. I assume that he thinks that if he gets Ben healthy and Ben is back in charge, then perhaps Ben will let him go.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:19 AM

I don't get to see those previews here and I'd try not to watch them anyway, because they always get the story twisted.

First, I have two questions though. I'm not a native English speaker and I had trouble understanding two lines:

- When Jack talks to that Flight Attendant, the girl walks by and whispers something. The woman then says something like "She wants to know, how I know...." I just can't understand the rest of the sentence. I watched it over and over, but it's just too fast for me.

- When Bai Ling tells Jack who he is, she tells him, that he will be lonely, something and angry. What is that something? I can't understand that, either.

I thought this episode was fairly mediocre. OTOH I think it was necessary to prepare the storyline for new developments. Seperate Jack from the rest of the group and implicate that he is going to get an insight into "The Others". Actually, I hated the episodes that weren't about the Others. I'm not so much in the mystery/super-natural stuff, so I was mostly interested in what these Others are, what they do and why they do it. I'm not so much into the show that I think a lot about everything that comes up there or try to find eastereggs or something. I just watch it, because I think they tell an interesting story in an exciting way. They overdid it with the cliffhangers and stuff, though, so I was actually quite relieved that they made a somewhat "slower" episode this time. It was just getting a little ridiculous with all the twists and turns in the story.

The Others look like some cult now that brainwashes people. So I'm actually getting bored with them. Now I hope that the island group will investigate further on the island and maybe stumble across more hatches and stuff so that they can approach the Others from that angle.
I also think that Jack is kind of stupid. But we have seen that in the episodes about his father. He is irrational and hot-tempered and not able to evaluate situations very well. It fits what that Thai girl saw in him, though.

So I hope this episode made way for some interesting story telling.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i was pretty dissapointed and i didnt even watch the previews last week.

jacks lack of asking good questions is soooo maddening, and while he had 100% of the leverage why the [censored] didnt he negotiate his own freedom along with juliet's life.

[/ QUOTE ]I thought that he had already negotiated his freedom(and return from the island) in exchange for the surgery. I assume that he thinks that if he gets Ben healthy and Ben is back in charge, then perhaps Ben will let him go.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should have defined "home" and "off this island" before actually closing the deal... I think in Juliet's case this mostly means letting her live.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: speculation that might make this episode awesome...

[ QUOTE ]
How [censored] hard would it have been to make Jack act more rational? They can't be answering all the questions, but at least have him ask. I'm sure they could have thought of some believable way that involved not telling him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two examples:

KATE: Where am I?

TOM: You don't really think I'm going to answer that, do you?

JACK: It's an aquarium.

JULIET: Excuse me?

JACK: This thing's for what -- sharks?

JULIET: Dolphins, too.

JACK: We're underwater, aren't we?

JULIET: Yes.

JACK: Is this one of their stations -- the Dharma Initiative?

JULIET: They called it the Hydra.

JACK: So you people are just whatever's leftover of them.

JULIET: Well, that was a long time ago. It doesn't matter who we were. It only matters who we are. We know exactly who you are, Jack Sheppard.

Obviously every episode they could include a scene where Jack(or one of the other Losties that are with the Others at the time). But it would get totally boring and repetitive. They've already had quite a few scenes(I just quoted two but there are more) where one of them has tried to get answers and been denied information. Can't we just assume that the characters are continuing to ask and continuing to be denied? Would you really rather see them going through the same conversation each episode?

Btw...not picking on you, Dale Dough, as I see this is a common complaint.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

First, I have two questions though. I'm not a native English speaker and I had trouble understanding two lines:

- When Jack talks to that Flight Attendant, the girl walks by and whispers something. The woman then says something like "She wants to know, how I know...." I just can't understand the rest of the sentence. I watched it over and over, but it's just too fast for me.

- When Bai Ling tells Jack who he is, she tells him, that he will be lonely, something and angry. What is that something? I can't understand that, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

"She wants to know how Ana Lucia is doing."

Ana Lucia was one of the passengers on the back of the plane. The stewardess and that little girl knew her. Ana Lucia, of course, has died, which explains somewhat Jack's strange reaction to the question.

"YOu are a leader, a great man but this...this makes you lonely and frightened and angry."
Old 02-24-2007, 05:30 AM

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:00 PM

Assani,

Good point.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2767135?loomia_si=1

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG is this horrible. WOW
Old 02-26-2007, 04:37 PM

When is Jack's trip to Thailand supposed to be taking place? Pre wife? Post wife? Pre dad missing? During dad missing, etc... she talks about how he is here to find himself, I'm having some trouble placing the time line...

Also, everyone on the island did something wrong, in some way, we've talked about this before, and could never come up with what jack did... was it this? Was it the quasi cheat on his wife who was already cheating on him? what was it?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When is Jack's trip to Thailand supposed to be taking place? Pre wife? Post wife? Pre dad missing? During dad missing, etc... she talks about how he is here to find himself, I'm having some trouble placing the time line...

Also, everyone on the island did something wrong, in some way, we've talked about this before, and could never come up with what jack did... was it this? Was it the quasi cheat on his wife who was already cheating on him? what was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...good point. They played it like he was there to forget his troubles (divorce and dead dad) but that doesn't really jive with the timeline presented earlier. I guess it's possible that he went there on the way to Australia - but it seemed like he stayed a little while and didn't seem to be in a depressed state of mind.

I'm not sure everyone did something wrong. Hurley? Claire? Rose? What about Locke? He was certainly wronged by others a number of times - but going by the backstories we've had for him so far, he seems like more of a victim of bad luck than anything else. Maybe I'm not remembering something, but it doesn't seem that Locke 'deserved' the island like the other inhabitants.