Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Brag or Beat: Just bought a 2007 Yaris

to answer the OPs question, i bought a 14k car with 0 down and my payments are <$280.
also, downpayments are teh suck
the mileage is nice. the car i bought has ~40mpg as well.
i bought new because i planned to keep the car >10years, which imo is +ev if you arent bent on what other people think.
im gonna guess your car will last way past your 5 year payment schedule. if you plan to keep it that long, youll be quite excited about not having car payments on a car you can really rely on. in 5 years youre gonna have an extra $300 in your pocket per month.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should buy a used car, becuase you are essentially letting someone else take the initial depreciation. when you buy a brand new car, just driving it off the lot, you are losing a ton of money, if you just bought a car that was a year older, or even a brand new one that someoen bought and drove for 8 months, you are saving yourself a ton of money. The real reason I had a problem with this car, is that the kid is going to end up paying about 6k above sticker, not including his financnig charges. The warranties, and things like that, 99% of the time, are still good. A 2 year old car, will have about 20 to 30k miles on it, at most places, this still eaves you 2 to 3 years, and 20k miles left on the warranty (and even then, you can buy a 5 year/50k warranty for about 2 grand, that kicks in after the factory warranty is up). You can get VERY decent cars for cheap, it is even now more true than ever because cars will run forever nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

But...but guids... if it's only a year old you might as well get a new one for $10,000 more! How else do I get floormats with my name on it and a personalized license plate frame?

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe...thats whre I got my floor mats.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should buy a used car, becuase you are essentially letting someone else take the initial depreciation. when you buy a brand new car, just driving it off the lot, you are losing a ton of money, if you just bought a car that was a year older, or even a brand new one that someoen bought and drove for 8 months, you are saving yourself a ton of money. The real reason I had a problem with this car, is that the kid is going to end up paying about 6k above sticker, not including his financnig charges. The warranties, and things like that, 99% of the time, are still good. A 2 year old car, will have about 20 to 30k miles on it, at most places, this still eaves you 2 to 3 years, and 20k miles left on the warranty (and even then, you can buy a 5 year/50k warranty for about 2 grand, that kicks in after the factory warranty is up). You can get VERY decent cars for cheap, it is even now more true than ever because cars will run forever nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

But...but guids... if it's only a year old you might as well get a new one for $10,000 more! How else do I get floormats with my name on it and a personalized license plate frame?

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. i'm glad that you understand me finally!!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to answer the OPs question, i bought a 14k car with 0 down and my payments are <$280.
i bought new because i planned to keep the car >10years, which imo is +ev if you arent bent on what other people think.
im gonna guess your car will last way past your 5 year payment schedule. if you plan to keep it that long, youll be quite excited about not having car payments on a car you can really rely on. in 5 years youre gonna have an extra $300 in your pocket per month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am planning on keeping this car for 10yrs+, so it is +EV over several used cars and repairs in that same time frame.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am planning on keeping this car for 10yrs+, so it is +EV over several used cars and repairs in that same time frame.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no way in hell you're going to want this car in 10 years. Let's stop this line of thought right now.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way in hell you're going to want this car in 10 years. Let's stop this line of thought right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No its not. You could buy a decent used honda civic for much less and they are very reliable. I just looked on KBB and a 2000 honda civic with 80K miles and in good condition goes for about 6.5K. Much better deal than spending 19K on a new car that to be honest is not really that much nicer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention that I am planning on eventually selling it when I graduate college, and I think it will have more value then than a 2000 civic would. I'm looking purely at the long-run because I'm working full time during the summer and not having extra money now is ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are you planning on being in college for over ten years?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I posted that, I was thinking of selling it after college. But upon thinking more I decided that to get the full value of the car I will keep it longer, and I will like the car till it dies. I would never have gotten it if I didn't like it.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Love the standard chick car talk from Fluff.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I posted that, I was thinking of selling it after college. But upon thinking more I decided that to get the full value of the car I will keep it longer, and I will like the car till it dies. I would never have gotten it if I didn't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've decided what you will like in the future? You might be surprised.