Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your move?
Sit side-by-side 41 12.65%
Sit across from each other 283 87.35%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2006, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Unofficial BCS clusterf*ck thread

The Orange Bowl HAS to pick the ACC champ, so I'm not sure they care.

As for Rutgers, they are a great Cinderella story and, if they finished undefeated and are shafted out of the NC game, become the story of the BCS. The Sugar Bowl would LOVE to have them.

Let's try to forecast the bowl games. How's this:

NC: OSU/Michigan vs. SEC/Rutgers/USC
Rose: OSU/Michigan vs. Cal/USC
Sugar: SEC/Rutgers vs. Notre Dame
Orange: ACC vs. SEC/Cal/USC
Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State

Reasoning:

The bowls and conference affiliations are as follows:

Rose: Big Ten vs. Pac-10
Fiesta: Big 12 vs. at large
Orange: ACC vs. at large
Sugar: SEC vs at large
NC: #1 vs. #2

Obviously #1 will be the OSU/Michigan winner. We have no idea who #2 will be yet. It will probably be either Rutgers, USC (if they win out), or the SEC champ.

According to the rules, a bowl that loses a host team to the NC game gets first choice of teams. The Rose Bowl will lose a Big 10 team, so it gets first pick. They'll likely pick the OSU/Michigan loser. They like the Big 10/Pac 10 matchup, so if they lose USC to the title game, they'll just pick Cal anyway.

Then the bowls pick the at large teams in the following order:

Sugar
Orange
Fiesta

The Sugar Bowl may lose the SEC champ to the NC game. They'll then get the first two picks. Since the Sugar Bowl gets first pick, they'll probably pick Notre Dame if they are eligible. And they'll pick an undefeated Rutgers if they aren't in the NC game for the Cinderella reasons.

The Orange Bowl will probably be left with the choice of the SEC championship game loser; the Cal/USC loser; or Boise State.

Fiesta Bowl gets last pick and will probably be stuck with Boise State (they will likely be an automatic qualifier and no other bowl will want them.

Caveat: If Notre Dame doesn't win out, they are no longer an automatic selection, but might get chosen anyway because of their fan base.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, Rutgers might actually bring alot of people, so maybe I'm being too harsh

[/ QUOTE ]

They travelled EXTREMELY well last year when they played Arizona State. And honestly I think the BCS is LOVING it that Rutgers could make a BCS game. The largest market in the country? NCAAF wants Rutgers to do well so they can get that market. I'm sure the BCS's mouth is watering at the fact Rutgers is doing well.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, Rutgers might actually bring alot of people, so maybe I'm being too harsh

[/ QUOTE ]

They travelled EXTREMELY well last year when they played Arizona State. And honestly I think the BCS is LOVING it that Rutgers could make a BCS game. The largest market in the country? NCAAF wants Rutgers to do well so they can get that market. I'm sure the BCS's mouth is watering at the fact Rutgers is doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. All I know is dozens of my friends from NJ who didn't give a [censored] about college football until this season now apparently are diehard Scarlett Knights fans. Including me! They lit up the top of the Empire State Building with Rutgers colors, for christ's sake.

James
Old 11-12-2006, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about a conference, I'm talking about teams. Perhaps Auburn is not in that class. Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU are all at least as good as Texas, with three of them significantly better.

What has impressed me about them? Not losing to crap teams like Texas Tech, Nebraska, and Kansas St.

[/ QUOTE ]

While losing against Kansas State was bad, albeit without their starting QB, none of those teams are significantly better than Texas. That's a joke.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:42 AM

Well there's too many replies for me to get caught up in this thread, but, well, hmmmmm.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2006, 05:36 PM

how's it going Colt?
how bad is the injury?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:08 PM

There will always be people bitching about getting left out, but it doesn't matter because the playoff is for #1

With a 2 team playoff, #3 complains about being left out and they often have a legitimate claim because they very well could be number 1

However say you have an 8 team playoff, number #9 might be ticked they get left out, but you are playing to see who is #1 and 9 is CLEARLY not number one, so they would bitch but nobody would care (like bubble teams from the NCAA tournament)
Old 11-12-2006, 06:09 PM

I think the big problem is why should #8 get a chance to play fot the title....should a 2-loss team get a chance?

LSU would be scary at #8.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the big problem is why should #8 get a chance to play fot the title....should a 2-loss team get a chance?

LSU would be scary at #8.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why a playoff in which the number of teams who participate varies from year to year would be a good idea.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:59 PM

ap and coaches poll came out. somehow wvu is ranked ahead of louisville in both. what a joke.