FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: OP's Buddy is a
Wimp 37 36.27%
Moran 40 39.22%
Jerk 25 24.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: The Official NBA Regular Season 07-08 Thread

I don't think Iavaroni will hurt Phoenix much but I believe he'll do great in Memphis. I think we will be ok this year (as a year of learning the system) then hope for the playoffs in the next year or two. If he can get us to win ONE game in the playoffs it'll be mroe than we've ever done before.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:33 PM

NicksDad,

He seems to be a good guy and popular with the players, what's important to me is that he's not put in a hopeless situation in which he's doomed to failure and will never get another crack at a head coaching gig. Provided of course he is actually a decent head coach.

Interesting fact: the Suns, maybe because they're cheap in this regards, always promote from within. Even Jerry Colangelo was a head coach for awhile in the early 70s. Westphal, Ainge, Skiles, Frank Johnson, D'Antoni, it seems to be their philosophy as long as Colangelo was around to look within rather than hire a Pat Riley or an established, recycled coach like a Del Harris.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM

The loss of Iavaroni will almost certainly hurt Phoenix's chemistry - which is a problem area anyway. "Seven Seconds or Less" (book about Phoenix a couple years ago when Amare was out with the knee injury) describes the extremely effective dynamic that D'Antoni and Iavaroni enjoyed, as well as those players that Iavaroni was specifically responsible for.

No idea how effective he'll be as a head coach...but hard to argue that he wasn't a great assistant coach who impacted his team's fortunes.

Suns window is either closing or already closed...be interesting to see how this year plays out. Their quest for fiscal responsibility has brutalized their future (loss of 1st rounders by the dozen, dumping both youth and vets). They're paper-thin and their 3 stars don't get along (though they've thus far managed to play well despite that).
Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The loss of Iavaroni will almost certainly hurt Phoenix's chemistry - which is a problem area anyway. "Seven Seconds or Less" (book about Phoenix a couple years ago when Amare was out with the knee injury) describes the extremely effective dynamic that D'Antoni and Iavaroni enjoyed, as well as those players that Iavaroni was specifically responsible for.

No idea how effective he'll be as a head coach...but hard to argue that he wasn't a great assistant coach who impacted his team's fortunes.

Suns window is either closing or already closed...be interesting to see how this year plays out. Their quest for fiscal responsibility has brutalized their future (loss of 1st rounders by the dozen, dumping both youth and vets). They're paper-thin and their 3 stars don't get along (though they've thus far managed to play well despite that).

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe a lot of what happens with the Suns depends on Kerr,no?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:09 PM

So, would I be a huge dork for buying an Oden jersey this season? They have them available everywhere here.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:53 PM

TSC,

Depends what size.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:58 PM

good answer.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:37 PM

Irishhand,

Some of the guys you listed (comparing miller to other SGs) are not SGs. Also, Miller is > Barbosa, Ricky Davis (lol are you serious abotu that?) and Brandon Roy. SJaxx is a nice player, Monta is a PG, and Hughes has his moments, but they also are < Miller.

So he'd start for most teams, which is good. About Conley/Gay, you're right.

Yes, I never said they werent lottery bound, byt they DO have some talnet.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from arenas blog

"Prediction Time
Oh man, everybody is jumping on this Celtics band wagon. You know what? I was going to go prediction-free for the whole year, but I guess I’m going to break that now.

Now, if anybody remembers back when I got drafted, I got a report back that the reason I dropped so far in the draft was that Jim O’Brien of the Celtics said that I was too immature and that I wasn’t ready for the NBA. What really happened was that I had an Achilles injury and I went back to L.A. to go get it healed when I was supposed to have a two-day workout in Boston with O’Brien. He didn’t like that. So word came back to me that he was trashing me and it put this knife through my chest about the Boston Celtics.

Back in the day when I would day dream I thought that if I could score 100 points against any team it would be the Boston Celtics. Now, I knew it would never happen, but if I could do one thing in the NBA it would be to score 100 against Boston. So anyway, since everybody is back on the Boston bandwagon it brought back old memories. So listen here. On November 2nd, we’re going to go into that building, we’re opening up Boston. Right now I’m telling the Boston fans: You guys are going to lose. It’s not going to be a victory for Boston. You might as well just cheer for me, because Boston isn’t winning in Boston for the season opener. I’m sorry. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Gil makes basketball in this area interesting with stuff like this, but he also makes being at games like this one that much sweeter.

-McGee
Old 10-01-2007, 12:41 AM

I think Gilbert is an annoying ass. The day he stops thinking like this will be the day Washington finally does something.