Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: ** Lounge Poker Talk **

The Snag Bar, Red Lodge Montana, Trip report

So, in my quest to find a live poker game I found myself in Red Lodge Montana. OK, So I was really there for a business meeting but quest sounds so much better.

Red Lodge is a really nice little town right at the base fo the Beartooth mountains and the other end of the Beartooth Highway from Yellowstone National Park. The Beartooth Hwy is really the most beautiful drive I have ever taken. Right up over the mountains topping out at 11,000 feet. Really nice.

Anyway, I was in town for two nights, Wednesday and Thursday. I tried to find a game on Wednesday night but there was not one running, but the bartender at the Bull'n Bear Saloon told me that there was a game on thursday at The Snag. FYI, Snag is a term used for a standing dead tree, usually left after a forest fire. These are also sometimes called widow makers because they are fairly dangerous. The snag actually has an old dead tree out in front of the place attached to the front of the building.

I hit the Snag at about 7:00pm figuring the game won't be going until 8:00 or 9:00 but to my delight it was fired up and there was a seat open. It was 2-6 spread limit with overs available to 2-12 , which translated into lots fo PF limping and then pretty much $6 bets after that. The table was filled with people who were having a really good time and had already seen more than a couple of drinks. I won't go into a lot of hand details because I always screw then up anyhow. I played fairly solid and was up at one point until my flopped set of kings got rivered by a donk catching runner runner to make his straight on the river. I ended up the evening dead even and had a ball playing with these people. Very fun night!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Poker Big Shot

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He would make this huge scene about counting all his outs and letting everyone know after every hand he lost/folded why he called or folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on a guy at a local game I played for the first time Friday. Running on 3 hours of sleep, my tolerance for his 30 minute monologues, hand guessing, analysis, and storytime was pretty low. He loved making "Hero" calls and explaining them when the board bailed him out. He's mid 40ish and saying "Ship it" after winning a hand. AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGG! Me being the new guy, he was kind enough to invite me to the PLO game in that "hey fish, come play" manner.

Anyhoo, 2/5 NL I'm at ~200 (down from 300 buy in) when 4 limp including bigshot and I check my BB w/Td8d. Flop is Tx5h3h. I lead for 15, 2 calls, bigshot makes a speech and emphatically makes it 75, button folds. I tank and decide he is FOS or drawing and shove for about 108 more. 2 folds and he says to his friend "Heeeeelllllll yeah I'm calling". He shows Tc2c...yes! Board pairs, J on the river, chop it....[censored] me to hell! He says "nice bet,it just wasn't enough ya know?" LOL

Overall the game was good. Nice set-up, a couple of weak spots, the host was super nice (Asian with a southern accent=awesome). Ended up +$165...chopped an $800 pot when I shoved AK on AA9 flop got called by KK and AT. 9 ball on the turn... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I hit the Snag

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold.

Glad you had a good time Fish!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 PM

JAK,

Haha, brutal. At least I was lucky enough to come out unscathed.

Fish, good story.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 PM

By the way, I guess they say like some other things in life, poker brings out the worst traits in people. Even I am guilty of excessive table talk to people in the hand at our home game, mostly because I'm having fun and not taking it seriously, but last night the host told me to tone it down a bit, heh.

This reminds me of Alobar's classic rant, which I hunted down. Link. Hilarious stuff.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I had no idea that this thread even existed. I haven't played in a long while though (by my standards). Just wanted to drop in and say that I hope loungers are making lots of monies.

[/ QUOTE ]

doing pretty good, actually...on six months of playing poker to pay the bills (with the occasional film/tv gig) and it's going well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dom, Are you mainly playing live or online?

[/ QUOTE ]

online 50 and 100NL
Old 11-06-2007, 07:01 PM

tuq, thanks for the link. Alobar wins at posting quite often. I think I have a couple of his bookmarked or saved in some fashion.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 PM

Who the hell folds for a final $7 on a $100+ pot?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($188)
Button ($48.65)
SB ($49.50)
BB ($104.25)
UTG ($66.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $18</font>, Hero calls $12.

Turn: ($40.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, UTG calls $20.

River: ($120.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $120.75

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Th Jh (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: Hero wins $120.75. </font>
Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 PM

Limit players.

Edit: I didn't even look at your bet sizing the first time. That whole hand is like LOLLHE. WTF w/ all the minraises?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:25 PM

I just played against a dude wearing a FTSOP jersey: not that good, IMO, but has a winning return on investment.

I took him out pretty easy, although the match was long.

Game was a Heads Up Sit and Go.