I'm a Democrat: Democrats pick up 4 10.26%
I'm a Democrat: Republicans hold 19 48.72%
I'm a Republican: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I'm a Republican: Republicans hold 10 25.64%
I don't care which party wins: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I don't care which party wins: Republicans hold 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: where does a-rod play next season?

DC,

I think that last post was ridiculously wrong on every aspect. I will offer you even money A-rod avgs over 30 mil per year on his next deal.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 PM

This article on the angels was brought to my attention.

[ QUOTE ]
The Angels have no plans to launch their own television channel in order to sign Alex Rodriguez as the star, two sources said Friday. "A-Rod TV is not an option," a source close to Angels owner Arte Moreno said.

"I don't see a $20-million player on our team," Moreno told The Times in August.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless this is a smokescreen, this means A-Rod just lost his best stalking horse for the yankees. Looks even more like extension time, hope Cashman doesn't turn the screws too tight on Boras.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM

A-Rod as a free agent makes a LOT more money than A-Rod who stays with the Yankees. Simple math. How many days until he gets to opt out? It's the only sensible move and he's got a sensible agent.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 PM

They played the sound from Cashman interviews today, he was very vague for every topic except for A-Rod. He STRONGLY said that if A-Rod opts out the Yankees will not be involved in signing him under any circumstances.

I initially thought the previous Cashman comments were purely bargaining ploys but now I am starting to seriously believe the yankees will offer him an extention at 10 yrs/30mil a yr (what is being reported in NY), and if he doesn't take it they will be done with it.

I strongly believed that A-Rod would opt out, largely because of his agent, but I am rethinking that position. My guess, and its nothing more than that, is that the Yankees extend him to the tune of 10 yrs, 27-30 million a year.

Thats just my 2cents, will be interesting to watch unfold.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They played the sound from Cashman interviews today, he was very vague for every topic except for A-Rod. He STRONGLY said that if A-Rod opts out the Yankees will not be involved in signing him under any circumstances.

I initially thought the previous Cashman comments were purely bargaining ploys but now I am starting to seriously believe the yankees will offer him an extention at 10 yrs/30mil a yr (what is being reported in NY), and if he doesn't take it they will be done with it.

I strongly believed that A-Rod would opt out, largely because of his agent, but I am rethinking that position. My guess, and its nothing more than that, is that the Yankees extend him to the tune of 10 yrs, 27-30 million a year.

Thats just my 2cents, will be interesting to watch unfold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees would be fools to offer him 10/300. I hope that doesn't come to pass. I like Alex and I'd love to see him hit the record-breaking home run as a Yankee, but 10 years for a player soon to hit a decline is simply too long.

They would also be foolish to sign him after he opts out. It's not a smokescreen at all by Cashman imo.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM

Cashman needs to sign Barry, he'll be by far the biggest value on the FA market.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM

he has to do it by 10 days after the world series ends
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cashman needs to sign Barry, he'll be by far the biggest value on the FA market.

[/ QUOTE ]

ldo, but he will never do that and we both know it.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ldo, but he will never do that and we both know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I like to pretend that he could pick up like 7 marginal wins for 15 mil in a 4th outfielder and DH and then package giambi/damon for a new bat boy or a something.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod as a free agent makes a LOT more money than A-Rod who stays with the Yankees. Simple math. How many days until he gets to opt out? It's the only sensible move and he's got a sensible agent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your simple math is simply wrong. The Yankees have the most need, the biggest budget, $21M in subsidies from Texas if he doesn't opt out, and won't bid for him if he does. He won't opt out, Boras (his agent) isn't stupid. Currently Boras is trying to spin as hard as he can to try to get some sort of leverage, but the Yankees aren't likely to fall for it.

Evidently you haven't read this thread, so I won't repeat my arguments again, but if the Angels aren't bidders, there is no one willing to pay A-Rod anything near $30M per year.