View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Wow... a bit under 1000$ a month for a room 10min from the bts. Sorry sir but you are a fish at renting. .....

Yes, thank you for your consructive opinion, we await your suggestions. I do accept though that price maybe on the top side, however I am from the UK and at that time the exchange rate was healthy at 70 baht to the pound sterling and I felt having looked at various other appartments it was the best value for what I wanted at the time.All said and done it all comes down to personal choice and where your going to feel the most comfortable and for that reason it is probably a good idea to get out and about to check some places over. A copy of the Bangkok post been a good place to start.

Right, back to my pond.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow... a bit under 1000$ a month for a room 10min from the bts. Sorry sir but you are a fish at renting. .....

Yes, thank you for your consructive opinion, we await your suggestions. I do accept though that price maybe on the top side, however I am from the UK and at that time the exchange rate was healthy at 70 baht to the pound sterling and I felt having looked at various other appartments it was the best value for what I wanted at the time.All said and done it all comes down to personal choice and where your going to feel the most comfortable and for that reason it is probably a good idea to get out and about to check some places over. A copy of the Bangkok post been a good place to start.

Right, back to my pond.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bangkok post is probably the best place to find overpriced apartment aimed at farang on expat packages.

You paid way too much and made it sound like if it was a good deal. It's misleading for newbies. ( anyone with some common sense would not pay 1000 for an apartment in bangkok especially far from the BTS and in a inconvenient area )

There are a lot of better options all over the place and if somebody want the info they can pm me ( like the last 4 guys looking for a place in bkk did )
Old 08-25-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-25-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ofdabeat,

CentrePoint are really nice apartments. There are all sorts of apartments for > $1,000 in BKK. If you want modern furnishings, a nice view and other such amenities, and are willing to pay for it...CentrePoint and the other serviced and non-serviced luxury apartments are a good way to go.

As I said in a prior post, there are loads of places all the way up to $5,000+ per month in Bangkok. You can also slum it in a $100 a month place if you want. The choice is yours.

The fact that this guy chose for nicer digs doesn't make him a fish, it makes him a guy who looked at the relative cost of what he was getting in BKK as opposed to what he was getting at home, and chose to spend a comparable amount for something way nicer.

If you want to look at the absolute cost of an apartment and get one for what is considered cheap in Thailand, you can do that. Some might call you a fish at economics, life, reality or whatever...but at least you wouldn't be a fish of apartment shopping in Bangkok [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol sure the centrepoint is a very good deal for 1000 bucks
no not at all
I can show you at least 10 apartments better/similar in the center of the city for 15k max a month.
For 25k you can rent a 3-4 bedroom townhouse in Sathorn...

I think you have absolutly no idea of the apartment/condo rental market in bangkok atm...
Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 AM

Since i got a few pm asking " what can i rent for 1000bucks"

My first choice would probably be the riverside Win long apartment( next to the oriental/shangri la and bts ), for 1k ( 30 bahts ) you can have the "presidential" suite, sorry no pics. But here is a pic of the executive suite :

not too shabby.
Plenty of other choices if i have time i'll post a list.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:37 AM

how many sqm's is that?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how many sqm's is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-25-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am now 100% going to Thailand at the end of the year because of this thread. I got the Pimsleur Thai language set, and I have the brand-new (just published this month) Lonely Planet Thailand in the mail from Amazon. I am so hyped it's ridiculous. I plan on staying 90 days, and traveling everywhere. The only constraint is money, but I can live cheap and I don't drink.

One thing that hasn't really been addressed by this thread unless I missed it is any contemplative resources. Thailand is one of the strongholds of Theravada Buddhism, which is the tradition that my meditation practice comes from. I am not so much interested in seeing temples and so forth, though I'm sure that I will, but in maybe studying with Thai teachers for some period of time. Apparently Goenka Vipassana offers the same 10-day course that I have taken here but I would like to do something different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude if you have a lot of time (which you do), just find a forest monastery, walk in, and ask if you can stay. If that particular one can't help you it's likely that they will direct you to someone that can. Will be a million times better than any course that's offered at some city monastery where the monks all have cell phones.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Previously unmentioned ladyboy detection technique: ladyboys tend to hang out with other ladyboys, so that cute girl hanging out with a bunch of ladyboys isn't a girl. Same thing if you see a pair and one is an obvious ladyboy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the other way around? By that I mean do real girls hang out with ladyboys? So a group of 4 girls, 3 for sure girls and 1 possible ladyboy (I mean some girls are hot yet look sorta mannish ie fergie, keira knightley imo)
Old 08-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Offdabeat, Please show me a 4 bedroom townhouse in Sathorn area close to BTS for 25k baht a month.

I love the Sathorn area and Im currently looking for something 2+ bedrooms around that price range.
Closed Thread