Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Contraversial AC Related Thread (TL;PR)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to concede that the right to violently defend property is necessary to peaceful society.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is. But without that, you're going to have a very, very poor society. And while it's POSSIBLE for such a society to remain peaceful, you're more likely to see an encouragement of opportunists who take advantage of the situation, creating an environment where it's basically impossible to build up any wealth and improve your standard of living.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude. No. Not agreed. Don't kick me in the nuts [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (Seriosly.)

[/ QUOTE ]
You can easily avoid that by just giving back my apples!
Or you can offer me something in exchange, like bananas and we might trade instead of using violence (e.g. stealing)!

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah. You can easilly avoid getting thrown in jail too. Just pay your taxes and don't use drugs and do... so on and so on. Don't see what your problem is.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All conflicts will tend to be initiated by "me"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's all we needed to know.

[/ QUOTE ] If I do something you don't like, I initiate conflict.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to concede that the right to violently defend property is necessary to peaceful society.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is. But without that, you're going to have a very, very poor society. And while it's POSSIBLE for such a society to remain peaceful, you're more likely to see an encouragement of opportunists who take advantage of the situation, creating an environment where it's basically impossible to build up any wealth and improve your standard of living.

[/ QUOTE ] To the degree people agree that property rights are needed for a prosperous society, property rights will be respected. No need to give property rights a special place, like in ACism.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

[/ QUOTE ] Ok. That's my definition of iniating conflict. Doing something I know you will object to. What do you think "initiating conflict" is?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To the degree people agree that property rights are needed for a prosperous society, property rights will be respected. No need to give property rights a special place, like in ACism.

[/ QUOTE ]
They aren't given a special place! The necessary degree is exactly that over your own body and the fruits of your labour. You have already conceded that you own your body yourself and from there it's easy to deduce the necessary degree of property rights.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. You can easilly avoid getting thrown in jail too. Just pay your taxes and don't use drugs and do... so on and so on. Don't see what your problem is.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that somebody can throw me into jail because I use drugs or don't pay taxes implies that he, who uses force against me, thinks that I don't own my body. He thinks that he owns a part of it. DUCY?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They aren't given a special place! The necessary degree is exactly that over your own body and the fruits of your labour. You have already conceded that you own your body yourself and from there it's easy to deduce the necessary degree of property rights.

[/ QUOTE ] This is where we disagree. Let's hear this "easy deduction" of yours.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that somebody can throw me into jail because I use drugs or don't pay taxes implies that he, who uses force against me, thinks that I don't own my body. He thinks that he owns a part of it. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. I see why.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that over your own body and the fruits of your labour. You have already conceded that you own your body yourself and from there it's easy to deduce the necessary degree of property rights.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it isn't (queue to explain why).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

[/ QUOTE ] Ok. That's my definition of iniating conflict. Doing something I know you will object to. What do you think "initiating conflict" is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I don't like is different than something I object to.

And in both cases, I am not necessarily going to respond with violence.

But again, I ask, why are you planning on initiating conflict?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] To the degree people agree that property rights are needed for a prosperous society, property rights will be respected. No need to give property rights a special place, like in ACism.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the difference between respecting property rights and "giving them a special place"?