Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/10)

[ QUOTE ]
-gabe kaplan often sounds foolish with his understanding of both the game in general and the players thought process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think he's usually spot-on, and sometimes on a deeper level than the players. Of course, he's off occasionally, but still conveys a higher combination of insight and entertainment than just about any other commentator.

[ QUOTE ]
add in the fact that it is added in post-production and it is unbearable. akin to john madden recording in post and going "you know, the defense is probably going to blitz here, so brady should be on the lookout and go deep... but he better be wary of the jets fast cornerbacks....", blitz comes, brady is picked off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is unfair. Quite often, Gabe will either praise or criticize a certain move, and give his reasons why, and then the results will go against his analysis.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:58 PM

Kaplan's analysis is better than a lot of announcers, but he definitely has his fair share of moments where he's so far off base it's embarrassing.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kaplan's analysis is better than a lot of announcers, but he definitely has his fair share of moments where he's so far off base it's embarrassing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if the bar wasn't set so low on announcers he'd be considered a donk.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Why does everyone feel the need to take a stab at a pot with their 72? I liked when Bob Safai said, "500? It should be 5k." That would make it really interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol then u could make openraises for like 30k preflop...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at so many posters in this thread.

if you cant see past the surface for a players tv antics then wow, just wow.

and lol at people making judgement of a player over the way they played one hand taken out of the context of the entire session.

i get this feeling there's a ton of sixteen year old kids in this thread who think they'd own some of the players in this game or any live game based on what they've seen on tv.

hooray for tv.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 AM

I enjoy reading any discussions about HSP, even though the average age of the posters here in obviously quite young and their opinions and interests are somewhat different from mine. We're all fans of poker and HSP is the best on TV.

I won't give my opinion of Kaplan and Benza, except to say HSP is the only poker show I watch. My reason for posting so late at night is that I heard a radio interview with Gabe Kaplan last month and I think most of you would find it interesting. He was promoting his book, but the host seemed more interested in HSP. Kaplan said the only time he was on the set was when he played for two shows and that all the voicing is done in post production weeks later. He said that he and AJ try to voice the show the first time they see it (like it's live), usually that works but if it doesn't they have the luxury of doing a segment over. He said it takes about two hours to voice each show and nothing is written in advance. The host asked him how he really feels about Benza, he said he hates him but they still live together. He seemed serious about the tapeing part.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 AM

I have no idea what Hellmuth is like "in real life," but his TV persona is one of the most contemptible, obnoxious personailities I have ever seen, anywhere. The only person who is worse is Matusow.

Therefore, I cheered when Hellmuth got felted and I feel he deserves any amount of verbal abuse he gets. He is a classless boor and it's great when he gets a taste of his own medicine.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:42 AM

Hellmuth to me seems just over emotional he doesn't understand the game good enough after 20 years to know that getting outplayed and getting bad beats is part of it
some one who really is rude worse than Phil is the devilfish
You must have heard how he start cursing at other players and the dealer when he loses
Tony G is annoying too but he accepts losing without becomming so emo
Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth to me seems just over emotional he doesn't understand the game good enough after 20 years to know that getting outplayed and getting bad beats is part of it
some one who really is rude worse than Phil is the devilfish
You must have heard how he start cursing at other players and the dealer when he loses
Tony G is annoying too but he accepts losing without becomming so emo

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because Tony G isn't the greatest player in the world! The GOAT should never lose.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 AM

I missed the preview for next week (tonight).

Who is at the table?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Sammy, Negreanu, Helmuth, jamie Gold, Jen Harmen, Eli Elezra, Bill Baxter, Safai.

I'm excited to see Sammy!