Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

[ QUOTE ]
if the guy with the bat slips up even once, hes gone.

[/ QUOTE ]
See I disagree. I don't think one blow with a knife is automatic win. His target is going to be moving as well. Also, at least some of the time, the knife hand is going to take a bat blow and either break the hand or knock the knife out. Then it's over.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably underestimating the ease with which knife guy can get in close range. But I think some of you may be overestimating the ability to stay in that range. It's not like once you break through one time the bat becomes useless. I have zero training but I think I could jump around pretty well while simultaneously getting 75% shots in with the bat. Your first knife shot is going to have to be a pretty good one to keep me from hitting you 3-4 times. And each time is going to knock you somewhat off balance. It doesn't take me long to reload as I can swing both directions while hopping around, so each time you lose your balance it's that much more likely I will hit you again. Bleh I'm already bored with this.

Seriously someone needs to film a test using nerf bats and some blunt instrument. It could be hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but once you get range, with the knife, you can use your other hand to grab the other person's shirt/arm/body and hang on long enough to get some pretty good cuts in.

I also second the nerf video demonstration lol
Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 PM

Also, we are consistently talking as if the guy with the bat can't miss, the guy with the knife always charges first, and the guy with the knife always gets hit. None of those things are true.

And if the guy with the bat swings first and misses, or isn't quick enough to bring the bat around his body before the guy with the knife charges in real close or even just crashes into him and so pretty much prevents any bat landings, bat guy is dead without really doing a thing to knife guy. Bat guy is really in trouble with any kind of slip up at all. Knife guy can slip up almost catastrophically and still might pull out a win.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:21 PM

I would have to vote for the knife also.

Its not directly applicable, but in Muay Thai, just sliding a foot or so out of the strike area with a kick can almost take all the power away from it. We train this all the time and even though a bat strike would be harder, the theory should be the same of the draw back and follow through being absorbable.

Ideally all you would need to do is rush in, then when he swings slide to the slide away (but still in the bats swing plane)and grab the bat..It should take away enough power to where it wont hurt to bad and you can get in there and stab away..

Even if this is not possible, I still have to go with the knife. In a fight to the death (which I guess this is), while the bat can do good damage over time (assuming someone could avoid a headshot), I think adrenaline and mobility gives the knife a advantage to move in a win quick..
Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if the guy with the bat slips up even once, hes gone.

[/ QUOTE ]
See I disagree. I don't think one blow with a knife is automatic win. His target is going to be moving as well. Also, at least some of the time, the knife hand is going to take a bat blow and either break the hand or knock the knife out. Then it's over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If bat guy is moving, he's not swinging, which is great for knife guy. If bat guy is swinging, he's not moving. For purposes of serious blows, we've got to assume bat guy is stationary.

Knife hand being anywhere near slow enough to take a blow from bat is extremely unlikely. A hand with a knife can move very fast. Swinging a bat is a much slower, highly telegraphed motion.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM

In a true spirit of détente, I am somewhat changing my view. Knifers make good arguments. I'll still take the bat, but it's much closer than I originally thought.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 PM

Blarg I can seriously swing a bat back and forth pretty quickly, while moving a little, such that it would be more difficult than you think to get your knife hand in close to my body.

But I really think this thread is exhausted without video trials. Someone more motivated than I needs to step up. Actually, if it takes place in Twin Cities, I'll volunteer to show up with a camera and/or participate.

link in my earlier post was effed up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0kC11cq8KQ
Classic In Living Color skit. Not as funny as I remember it, but very relevant.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 PM

I'm starting to see the knifer POV also, but I'll still stick with bat.

Knifers - did you watch the youtube vid? What would you do differently as the knifer? (I admit the knifer could have put on a much better display.) I think one thing is clear though: the raw fear when seeing a dude swinging wildly at you is enough to make you think twice about sticking around with a knife. Average joes can't control this aspect as well as seasoned fighters.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 PM

Here's my idea. Wiffleball bat covered with paint versus paintbrush representing the knife. Video camera. YouTube.

gogogogo
Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my idea. Wiffleball bat covered with paint versus marker representing the knife. Video camera. YouTube.

gogogogo

[/ QUOTE ]