Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

El D,

[ QUOTE ]
But last night, I recorded All In. Hmmmm, I remember when Dominique Swain was heralded as a talented young actress to watch. Well, now she stars in All In.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have read this thread. I mentioned All In earlier:

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, and avoid All In like the plague. I posted about it in The Lounge but apparently no one saw it, which is a good thing. Don't see it, you'll waste 96 minutes of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least I tried to help someone avoid it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
This does not quite capture how bad this movie was. Like I said, I watched the whole thing (basically the poker parts) in about 20 minutes. I challenge anyone to actually watch the whole thing start to finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually DID watch the whole thing. It seems you didn't watch everything.

**SPOILERS** (lol)
The most absurd part to me(besides the MIT blackjack/poker team complete with surveillance tools) is the extortion of the illegal immigrants and her Med School professor getting to the final table and getting arrested... AND also her father AND his best friend also making the final table.
**END SPOILERS**

This is all ridiculous. The whole movie was ludicrous really. It makes Rounders look like the Godfather of poker movies. I guess this would be Honey, or actually much worse than that. Actually I'm gonna pop in my Rounders DVD now just to purge my memory of that movie as best I can.

Oh yeah, I watched The Covenant last night. Really bad. Looks like I'll be watching Slow Burn or The Number 23 tonight. I hope they're ok. Seems like all I've seen lately are sucky movies. I should go to the movies and see Transformers. Can't wait for Bourne Ultimatum.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Tha,

I had read that, but come on, how can I resist watching All In when there it is, beckoning me from cable?

Anyway, in my mere 20 minutes or so, I managed to pick up all of those "plotlines" - go me!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Like me, it was probably the degen in you wanting to watch it.

"All In? ZOMG MUST WATCH POKER MOVIE!!1!"

Good job picking all that up. There was a lot of b.s. "poker slang" in it too. Anyway I refuse to waste any more of my life talking about that movie except to not watch. Like a train wreck, I know some of you will watch it regardless just to see how bad it is.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 PM

All,

All In was pretty big on calculating percentages of certain things happening - like raise him on the turn if it is a heart and there's a 73% chance he folds.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 PM

Watch Illusionist first, then Prestige. I really enjoyed both movies and I have friends that went the other route and didn't like Illusionist that much.

I didn't see the original All the King's Men but I mildly enjoyed this movie. Sean Penn is one of my fav actors and Jude Law is great. But the thought of both of them, plus Kate Winslett, playing Southerners is pretty absurd and if you can get over that fact you'll be good to go.

As I was flipping through the dvd stands in the streets of Shanghai, I came upon a movie that I've never heard of before: Copying Beethoven. It caught my eyes because our beloved Diane Kruger was in it. She looked amazing and the movie was, surprisingly, pretty good. Ed Harris is amazing.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424908/
Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Wow, after My Super Ex-Girlfriend, I didn't think I'd find anything worse this week.

But last night, I recorded All In. Hmmmm, I remember when Dominique Swain was heralded as a talented young actress to watch. Well, now she stars in All In.

This movie is completely unwatchable. I managed about 10 minutes before I started fast forwarding. It took about 20 minutes to watch the whole thing and keep track of all three storylines:

1 - Her in med school and a scandal there
2 - Her relationship w/ father
3 - Her run at poker riches

Well, the poker scenes are all ridiculously retarded and usually either crazy bluffs or total cold deck hands. I would say approximately 9 bazillion times less realistic than Rounders.

The best part is the team assembled. One guy is there as the memory expert. He then gives hand details to the math guy to analyze. Another guy focuses on collecting tells. One of the girls focuses on psych techniques to get inside people's heads. One girl raises capital! And then the star of the team plays because she has the "feel" for the game. Put that all together and you can take down any game.

This does not quite capture how bad this movie was. Like I said, I watched the whole thing (basically the poker parts) in about 20 minutes. I challenge anyone to actually watch the whole thing start to finish.

Oh, one of the chicks is really hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was actually at the hollywood premeire of "all in" courtesy of partypoker.

el d doesn't lie - it was horrible. i was laughing during the movie because it was that bad
Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

As far as I'm concerned, Armageddon is the worst movie made in the history of the galaxy. It made Deep Impact look like Citizen Cane.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:13 AM

The Prestige is the best movie yet named, but Ong Bak is still the most awesome thing on there and you still haven't watched it.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:07 AM

saw "go" on cable yesterday for the first time since watching it in the theater when it originally came out in '99 (had to look that up; it was an eternity ago). forgot how enjoyable it is: it's witty and energetic and just a lot of fun. i wonder if this movie has picked up a following over the years, seems to me like every 18-yo should love this flick, given that it's pretty much all about kids trying to score drugs and get laid and getting into car chases on the vegas strip after shooting nudie-bar bouncers.

so yeah, if you come across this on cable and haven't seen it, it's worth your time.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Little Miss Sunshine:

I thought this really missed the mark. It's the type of movie I really should like, but something didn't click. Everybody was slightly too unlikeable, I kinda just wanted bad things to happen to them. Also kinda felt like I've seen the same movie before, just with a different plot, characters and setting.
Closed Thread