Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What cardrooms comes to mind when you think B&M
I have small local mini-cardrooms in my state 30 29.70%
My buddy vinnie or Guido's house 1 0.99%
Tropicana,Sands,Taj Mahal 11 10.89%
Wynn, Mirage, Bellagio 54 53.47%
Oldschool Binions 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Q24

I call for the following reasons.

1. CO has 5x BB and position. As he moves closer to the BB his fold equity decreases. His condition is such that I believe he will be playing ATC. Even if he is playing J-2 or better I will still call because

2. It is only another 8,000 to call - a small percentage of my stack. I expect I will have live cards.

3. If the other players think I will use my stack to gamble with them, and potentially knock them out, it will affect how they play. They may tighten up and wait for a spot leaving me to steal more blinds while their stacks shrink to a level where I don't mind racing against an all-in.

If I maintain pressure on the shorter stacks, it is to my advantage. I believe this plays into the meta game.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Kip, but with CO having an M of 3, isn't he pushing with any two cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I guess that's the main question. However, your T5o is significant in deciding what to do, here. You don't just hope for 2 live cards and call. That can't be right.

I think this is a very close call either way, so it may come down to other considerations (like Dog Boy mentioned). There are meta-game considerations like he said, but another one could be that you want to keep the short stacks in the game longer to keep the medium stacks playing conservatively (so you can steal more).

I'm really not sure... I can see arguments both ways. I personally would opt to fold. Maybe we can try to get one of the experts on 2+2 to answer this??
Old 07-19-2007, 12:54 AM

I got a 95. Is this good?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I answered "fold" on this one, but thought I might be wrong, so I looked it up. I don't understand the math behind this, but if you read the end of NLHTAP you will find a chart that answers this question. The pertinent information is that you are having to call $8k to a heads-up all-in with a pot of $13k. You are getting just a tad over 3:2 pot odds, so it is wrong to call if the all-in player is pushing with much better than any 2 cards.

Specifically, DS says it is wrong to call with T5o getting 3:2 on your money if your opponent is pushing with: AA-22, AK-A2, Any two cards 7 or higher (e.g. T7), K6-K4, and K3s-K2s

If he is pushing with a lot more than that (any two cards), then you can call.

I don't think the CO would be pushing with much less than that, since they have just passed the blinds and can afford to wait a few hands for a better hand to push with.

========================
EDIT: corrected the opponent's card holdings

[/ QUOTE ]

in a cash game its a fold. thats what sklansky is referring to

in a tourny its an easy push
Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 AM

I opted to fold, I would like to hear why it is an easy call.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I answered "fold" on this one, but thought I might be wrong, so I looked it up. I don't understand the math behind this, but if you read the end of NLHTAP you will find a chart that answers this question. The pertinent information is that you are having to call $8k to a heads-up all-in with a pot of $13k. You are getting just a tad over 3:2 pot odds, so it is wrong to call if the all-in player is pushing with much better than any 2 cards.

Specifically, DS says it is wrong to call with T5o getting 3:2 on your money if your opponent is pushing with: AA-22, AK-A2, Any two cards 7 or higher (e.g. T7), K6-K4, and K3s-K2s

If he is pushing with a lot more than that (any two cards), then you can call.

I don't think the CO would be pushing with much less than that, since they have just passed the blinds and can afford to wait a few hands for a better hand to push with.

========================
EDIT: corrected the opponent's card holdings

[/ QUOTE ]

in a cash game its a fold. thats what sklansky is referring to

in a tourny its an easy push

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the book with me right now, but I'm pretty sure he clearly says this situation applies to tournaments.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM

I just posted this question in the MTT forum:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...umber=11278000

We'll see what people there say.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:06 PM

I scored 109 (average - "better than 72.57% of all persons taking this test") but did it at work (hope no-one's watching). And I only got 85 for 'Computational Speed' - "better than 15.87% of all persons taking this test" (i.e. real S - L- O - W - !) So if I'm penalised for having a small brain I'm pretty damn pleased. That's just one point away from "Low Stakes Winner" - and that's a step onto dry land.

I paid $9.95 for the profile (that's where I get those %'s) but this thread is way better - and it's free.

So far my answers go with the majority - but for two I clearly got wrong. Question 1 (I went with 72o) and question 23 (I raised *smack on head*).

But it was the second half of the test I found more of a stretch - and I just guessed some as I was impatient and wanted to get to the end before lunch.

I'm sorry that this doesn't add any wisdom to this thread - but I'm just an apprentice. Hope it's OK to share! Anyway, now that I've caught up maybe I'll share some of my thoughts on future questions - if only to play the token donkey.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Call all the way. The main idea is that you're a huge chip leader, so if you call and lose your overall standing isn't affected in any "real" way. If you call and win, there's one less person in the tourney. Benefits outweigh costs.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Question 12

[ QUOTE ]
looks like q11 and q12 make another pair

q11: stacks are deeper, players are tag, board is bone dry. MP probably isn't bluffing into the pf raiser and a caller -- he doesn't have enough to push us both out. A raise here means he can beat top pair, and from preflop we know he doesn't have AA or KK.

q12: villian is weak and short and the table is small. Board has a K this time, plus a flush draw. His range easily includes KQ and TT-QQ. If he's really weak, KJ, KTs or two spades.

I think testmaker is asking if we can make the laydown against villian with a set, versus stay with the probable best hand.

I have trouble with some of these because I play .05/.10, where q11 is an easy call against what would be considered TAG there, but I think that factor of 100 changes things.

[/ QUOTE ]
100 x .1 = 1k. hmm interesting theory doctor