Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

Were did you get your norms?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MTT play is very rewarding if you have the time and can take some varaince, and also any kind of tilt or emotional issues are much less damaging in MTTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

while that may be true (could be argued both ways) the damage mtt's do TO your emotions is much worse than in other forms. If tilting is a problem, mtt's will put you on tilt much more often.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MTT play is very rewarding if you have the time and can take some varaince, and also any kind of tilt or emotional issues are much less damaging in MTTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

while that may be true (could be argued both ways) the damage mtt's do TO your emotions is much worse than in other forms. If tilting is a problem, mtt's will put you on tilt much more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to post this.
Consider that whenever you don't win or deal in a MTT you will feel like you should have done better.
Consider that percent of field wise, winning a SNG is like cashing in an MTT. When people complain about not going x SNGs without winning, imagine that being without cashing.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you play this hand?

link

[/ QUOTE ]

I would definitely consider raising preflop, but would raise to 1000 and not 800 if I chose to do so. Raising to just 800 lets him call way too cheaply in position IMO. I don't think that checking is a problem though.

The board is pretty coordinated so I would bet the full pot on the flop, with the intention of going allin if raised. In the actual hand I would reraise.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:46 PM

"I promise not to wuss out and not name names if you ask me who are the best players at whatever, or if you ask your opinion about specific players."
Who do you think is better at sngs... you or bigjoe/pudge/z32
Old 03-04-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is Steve Nash so ridiculously good at bball? I mean, I don't think he shoulda gotten the MVP two years ago...but last year was ok I guess...and I don't see how they don't give it to him this year, lol.

Also, why does myspace suck like 60% of the time and I can't get to my world famous blog that is so popular now it gets spammed daily?

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Your questions aren't easy to answer...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for doing this.

What were your VPIP and PFR for the first two levels of the party SNGs (2000 starting chip structure)? Do you have any advice on what situations to look for to start loosening up for someone who plays too tight early? Party speed structure 55 and 109s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like my stats were about:

10 or 11 vpp for first 2 levels
4 (lvl 1) and 5 pfr (lvl 2) for first 2 levels

I have some feeling that if I was playing them today I would play them a bit differently.

One good way to loosen up in profitable situations is to relentlessly attack the blinds of tightass multitablers. Just raise them everytime or a large % of the time from the button or the SB when they are in the BB. They are often playing so many tables and using such a formulaic strategy that they won't adjust or even care.

Of course my stats are pretty tight overall. It's just that there were quite a few people who played half as many hands as me early on, which I found very hard to believe was correct.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why can't you win a pot off me in cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

God is making up for winning every pot against you in SNGs? Actually one time I raised from the button and you folded in the SB
Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is Steve Nash so ridiculously good at bball? I mean, I don't think he shoulda gotten the MVP two years ago...but last year was ok I guess...and I don't see how they don't give it to him this year, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugo if I created a well and you posted this. I would go so apeshit. See my million sporting events post and why Nash shouldn't be MVP.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
curtains,

I am playing STTs and rarely MTTs. IŽd like to learn cashgame soon. What do YOU think is the best way to get started (books, reading 2+2 SSNL, videos...)

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm....maybe cardrunners? I only watched Taylor's videos but he seems pretty smart. I got stoxpoker and thought it was really not good, at least based on the 2-3 videos I saw. Not that the play was bad, but there was almost little to no explanation in a lot of key decisions. Of course my samplesize was small, but Taylor seems much more logical.

Although let me tell you secretly that almost anyone who runs a video site posts only a certain % of videos they make. There is no way that every single video goes up. I made some videos for a site, and this included one where I 4-tabled the $6.50s and of course finished out of the money in all 4. They wouldn't post that video, because they thought it might make me look bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Honestly it wasn't that interesting either, but just realize that what you are seeing in any video site isn't always going to be completely realistic

Also seems like many times per video Taylor is bluffing people out in giant pots or at least attempting to, and I find it hard to believe this is the norm from a random 30 minute sample of his play. Despite that he explains himself well, and is clearly very good.

Anyway went on giant tangeant, but yea go for cardrunners, and watch Taylor's videos I guess. Actually you know what I'll tell you the key right now, even though everything I say should be discounted because a lot of people claim to have much higher winrates than I'm currently experiencing:

1. Position is very very important, almost impossible to be too tight out of position.
2. Raise a lot. Your VPIP should be as close to your PFR as realistically possible.