Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: astroglide\'s home theater: what i own, what i would buy today

[ QUOTE ]
Great thread. Can I get some advice?

I have an old Sony receiver STR-DE335, and a DVD player I bought a few years ago for about $125 or something, and a 15-yr old Onkyo CD player. Should I scrap everything for a Home Theatre in a box setup, or should I keep what I have and just get some speakers? My TV is average now, but I will be upgrading to a new one eventually. I live in a duplex with vaulted ceilings but it's only about 900 sq ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are truly concerned about sound I would not do the HTiB route. What is your budget, and what will the system be primarily used for.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread. Can I get some advice?

I have an old Sony receiver STR-DE335, and a DVD player I bought a few years ago for about $125 or something, and a 15-yr old Onkyo CD player. Should I scrap everything for a Home Theatre in a box setup, or should I keep what I have and just get some speakers? My TV is average now, but I will be upgrading to a new one eventually. I live in a duplex with vaulted ceilings but it's only about 900 sq ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are truly concerned about sound I would not do the HTiB route. What is your budget, and what will the system be primarily used for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Under $1000 without the TV. It will just be for movies/I-tunes for me and a guest or two. I won't be hosting parties or anything.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 AM

I would reccommend buying a good set of new speakers and running them from the current reciever until you can afford a new one. Mirage Omnisats and the SVS Package are both good if you want more compact speakers. If you don't mind larger speakers for better sound, I like AV123's X-series.

If you listen to music alot, the larger bookshelf speakers will be much better.

You may even be able to afford a package and the Panasonic SA-XR55 or XR57. This reciever is considered one of the best at its price point and unless you are interested in waiting for a $500 Onkyo, Denon, or Harmon Kardon reciever, would probably be your best bet.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 PM

jws43yale-
Thanks for your help. I will check those speakers out. Why is the "Home Theatre in a Box" option recommended so much in this thread if it's not good for music? Is it mainly for movies/DVD sound?
Old 05-19-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jws43yale-
Thanks for your help. I will check those speakers out. Why is the "Home Theatre in a Box" option recommended so much in this thread if it's not good for music? Is it mainly for movies/DVD sound?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, HTIB is a simple way to get 5.1 speaker surround sounds, but the speakers are not big enough to accurately produce full frequency ranges. They are fine when you just want the immersive sound experience during movies, but can't output stereo sounds like true good bookshelf speakers can. It is fine for music, but won't be anything special whereas good bookshelf speakers as part of a surround sound system can be better than anything you have heard.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 PM

I need a new remote, and was looking at the suggestion that astroglide suggested (logitech harmony 670). I have a few questions that I cant find the answer too:

1. I have my xbox setup as my media center and want to get rid of my xbox remote, will I be able too?

2. I have a logitech z2770 audio system for my computer, will I be able to control that?

3. If not, does it have the feature where I can point my remote at it, and it will learn the buttons and frequencies and let me assign them to buttons on the logitech?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need a new remote, and was looking at the suggestion that astroglide suggested (logitech harmony 670). I have a few questions that I cant find the answer too:

1. I have my xbox setup as my media center and want to get rid of my xbox remote, will I be able too?

2. I have a logitech z2770 audio system for my computer, will I be able to control that?

3. If not, does it have the feature where I can point my remote at it, and it will learn the buttons and frequencies and let me assign them to buttons on the logitech?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't answer those questions for the Logitech remote. But I have a similar remote: the Home Theater Master MX-700.

The answer to all three of your questions is yes for the MX-700. I have an Xbox 360 and I don't even know where the remote is because I've only been using the MX-700. I have no personal knowledge for question #2, but since question 3 is yes, then it will also control the audio system (assuming the audio system has a normal remote control).
Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 PM

guids, it should work with anything that uses IR. most stuff is in their database already, but incase it's not the remotes do have a learning mode.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:55 PM

Time for my monthly bump of this thread. I am finally going to actually be ordering my new setup soon.

Room is 22' x 15', but will be viewing the short way. Will use mainly for movies and sports. Budget is $5K or so.

Currently planning on:

Pioneer 50" Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV Model: PDP-5080HD

Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver ( Black )

x-cs 5.1 system from AVS with the upgrade to the Rocket ULW-10 Subwoofer

As for DVD player, astro's rec looks good to me: OPPO DV-981HD

Think this should run me like $3K for the TV, $1.5K for the audio, and the last $500-$1K for the DVD player, remote and TV stand.

Any thoughts on different items, where to purchase, cables, anything else greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Time for my monthly bump of this thread. I am finally going to actually be ordering my new setup soon.

Room is 22' x 15', but will be viewing the short way. Will use mainly for movies and sports. Budget is $5K or so.

Currently planning on:

Pioneer 50" Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV Model: PDP-5080HD

Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver ( Black )

x-cs 5.1 system from AVS with the upgrade to the Rocket ULW-10 Subwoofer

As for DVD player, astro's rec looks good to me: OPPO DV-981HD

Think this should run me like $3K for the TV, $1.5K for the audio, and the last $500-$1K for the DVD player, remote and TV stand.

Any thoughts on different items, where to purchase, cables, anything else greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.everything4electronics.co...w.aspx?ID=2181

Id go with that for your TV, its what I got and I love it, about 1k cheaper, better resolution, etc.