Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: The Well: Riverboatking

RBK,

since you now live in LA and went to UCB, what do you recommend (for me) -

transferring to UCB or UCLA? thanks.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much had you won total lifetime and how long had you been playing when you decided to go pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

i never really "decided" to go pro.
i graduated with a degree in poli sci, which didn't seem to useful unless i wanted to go to grad school, or law school, and i didn't really want to do either right away.
i was playing poker recreationally while i tried to figure out what the hell to do and was looking for a job.
soon i realized that none of the jobs i was looking at either interested me, or paid remotely close to what i was making playing poker so i just kind of stopped looking and started playing full time.

i had won and lost a bunch before that, like i said in an earlier post i had won a couple of small tournaments and then subsequently lost that money, so i had probably won and then busted about 10K four or five times before i started winning consistently.

and i had been playing for about a year.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RBK,

since you now live in LA and went to UCB, what do you recommend (for me) -

transferring to UCB or UCLA? thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

wow thats a very subjective and personal decision.
i would suggest that you go vist each campus and each city and you'll know which is better for you.

i didn't even apply to UCLA because i wanted to experience something different then la for college, i only applied to cal and ucsd.

i can tell you that berkeley is a great place to be, and the school is awesome, however i don't know where you are coming from, what you are going to study, and what your personality is like.

berkeley is way more laid back then la, and its alot easier to get around to all over the bay area, in la you really need a car.

there are so many amazing things to do in the bay area, great live music, incredible resturants (SF is great) and great night life, and its all pretty easy to get to.

in LA everything is much more spread out so you generally have to decide on a place you are going and then stick to it, whereas in the bay area it is much easier to bar hop.

LA does have hotter women, although there are some really great women in SF.

but it really comes down to your personality, some people from the bay area hate on LA and some people from LA can't stand northern ca, i think that there are great things about both and IMO people that hate on either place are retarded and high maintence.

like i said you should really visit each place and see what feels better, but my default opinion would be CAL.

#1 public institution in the world (only matters if you plan on post-grad study), and we have a better football team.

PM me if you have any other questions.

oh and one final thing that may be of interest to you.
berkeley is a total college town.
everywhere you go you are going to be around other college students, and the whole city really revolves around the university.

this is not the case with UCLA.
westwood villiage is populated with college students, but its not a college town in any sense of the word, and its nowhere near the same atmosphere as berkeley.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
westwood villiage is populated with college students, but its not a college town in any sense of the word, and its nowhere near the same atmosphere as berkeley.

[/ QUOTE ]

bobbo - visit cal first, b/c if you have a penis and you hang out at ucla first, you won't even make your cal visit.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 PM

rbk,

how often do people actually stack off in these deep games? are there a lot of big stacks but they are just tip-toeing around each other, or do you actually see relatively frequently pots where people each put in > 600 BBs (i guess like a 50K pot total in your game)?

thanks,

sam
Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bobbo - visit cal first, b/c if you have a penis and you hang out at ucla first, you won't even make your cal visit.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahah so true.
although cal is def. getting better, when i first started it was awful, however they did away with madatory SAT tests (only SAT II now) so they have had an influx of pretty faces.

obv can't compete with UCLA in that regard, however there is something hot about a pretty girl with brains.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rbk,

how often do people actually stack off in these deep games? are there a lot of big stacks but they are just tip-toeing around each other, or do you actually see relatively frequently pots where people each put in > 600 BBs (i guess like a 50K pot total in your game)?

thanks,

sam

[/ QUOTE ]

it is rare to see people get >300BB in the pot in the 20/40NL, you see it more in the 10/20NL where people aren't as good at controlling pot size.

however there are plenty of big pots in the 20/40NL, many 10-15K pots.
there is PLENTY of action in the commerce games.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one from the top of my head was where i had like 5 high and got like 5 people out of a huge pot one by one on each street including top two pair who would have rivered a boat.
i bluffed one guy out on flop, then two more out on the turn, and then finally got barry woods (who never folds) out on the river. that was a fun one.
if anyone remembers more specifics from that hand please share.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah - can one of the latb regular viewers please find this and post the exact hand - it was insane. i remember i was iming w diablo while watching this and as i described each street he was like "what? that's just retarded".

and it was kk who had top 2 and was pfr i think, which given your little rivalry is pretty nuts by itself.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:36 AM

Biggest ever laydown?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:40 AM

What mods have you done to your car... pics?