Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Ask me about going into people\'s homes to sell them knives.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cutco's steel is lower in carbon. It doesn't hold as fine an edge. It is cheaper, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

All these arguments are really moot, since they stem from "You can't be helping anyone taking 50% for yourself" which is rather basically flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY? Elaborate.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I steal 500 Honda Accords from a foreign country. I import them to Zaire. It costs me 5k each to do this. I sell these to the residents for 10k each. They think I am a reasonable business person and there is no risk of seizure etc. Clearly the benefit.

You are somehow including sunk costs in your rationalization. Price v marginal utility is really the only consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so amusing that your response includes grand theft and a third world country.

My claim was that there does not exist a business with a 50% salesperson markup which is good for the consumer. Your attempt to dispute that claim involves theft of property from third parties and multiple felonies? Truly a poster child.

J
Old 12-14-2006, 01:00 AM

Tyler-

I've used CUTCO knives and I have to admit they are pretty awesome. I would definately buy a set if I was really into cooking or had $800 lying around to drop on knives.

What I don't understand is why the hell Vector doesn't take this product and market it traditionally? I mean this MLM bullcrap has to be holding back sales potenital. If they don't want to merchandise it, I'm sure they can pay someone else to. Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hopey,

Do you know what high pressure sales is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. I worked in sales for almost a decade, so I'm quite aware of what a high pressure sale is. I've also had a few of my friends and family members getting involved with CutCo and Amway, so I know some of the "tricks" that are used.

Sales tricks are fine, but I draw the line at using them on friends and family members. I respect them enough not to try to "trick" them into buying something from me.

My "favorite" Cutco-style sales technique is when one of you guys call up a friend or family member and explain to them that you want to come over to "practice" your sales presentation, because you're new at the job and want to get your confidence up. But, surprise surprise, it's not "practice" at all, you're pestering them for a sale by the end. And since this is a friend or family member, they're reluctant to upset you by not buying something and wasting your time.

Oh, and then you ask for a list of their friends (with the promise of a free gift if they give you X number of names) so that you can repeat the process over and over again.

Yup, this is really how you should be treating your friends and family. They're just potential customers after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in sales for 13 years.If you truly believe your product(whatever it is)is the best AND would benefit someone,why wouldn't you give them the opportunity to own?Especially friends and family.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 AM

A couple random comments.

I steel my knives before and after every use. It takes a few seconds and they are always very very sharp. I could not do this with serated blades. In the long run I would have more sharp blades with regular knives I care for.

I also dont quite understand how serated blades can chop as well. But I have never tried that.

Who the hell puts their cooking knives in the dishwasher? That just wears them needlessly.

Of course chain and department stores would sell them for less. Economy of scale applies to your sales too.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 AM

Wait, not every Cutco knife is serrated, right? If so, that's a HUGE "lol" at their supposed feature of sending them in to get sharpened.