Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: My God the Chargers look good

Bolts Brief:

I was going to retire this thread undefeated in my picks, but due to popular demand here is it. Bolts will kill Chiefs, believe it.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 AM

Not quite the killing I envisioned but it counts. They covered, kept them out of the endzone, punched 'em in the mouth all game, LJ was woozy early and probably never fully recovered. Trent Green was sacked 6, hurried a bunch, knocked on his ass.

Rivers just sucked. Chief were pressuring him, but that's no excuse for some really bad throws. But they chose their poison perhaps, and covered Gates, blitz effectively, but that meant LT could do what he wanted. (Rivers was without WR Parker and Floyd. McCardell played but still hurt and hurt and old means really slow)

D looked good. Back in black, hit the sack, been too long, glad to be back.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:56 AM

I wish they would stop talking about LT so much on ESPN. I would take a bullet for him but I'd rather not hear a commentator drool over him every week. Maybe every few weeks or something we can all talk about how much we love him but lets take some time off ok guys?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:08 AM

I wish, for one game, we could substitute Brian Westbrook or Tiki Barber or even like Jones-Drew in for LT. And see how they do running behind that line and Lorenzo Neal. Just out of curiosity.

LT has insane moves and an insane stiff arm, but it helps when the defenders are consistantly blocked out of the play. Westbrook had one play today where all the blocking worked and... hey what do you know... 28 yard TD.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish, for one game, we could substitute Brian Westbrook or Tiki Barber or even like Jones-Drew in for LT. And see how they do running behind that line and Lorenzo Neal. Just out of curiosity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, well, we can't do that, but Michael Turner and Jesse Chatman(balooned in weight and then got bounced out of the league) were both 5+ yard/carry backs in the same offense during LT's tenure. Hell, even Terrell Fletcher put up a 37.6% DVOA back in 2002 and 18.7% in 2001. Fletcher never played after 2002...

I don't know what to make of it, but our backups(in two/three cases, RBs who were out of the league after playing for us) have done very well in every year of Tomlinson's career. A lot of the credit has to go to Hudson Houck for putting together this line from mid-late round draft choices(except McNeill in the 2nd--credit goes to GM AJ Smith and OL Coach John Henry on that one).
Old 12-18-2006, 12:41 PM

Jammer looked great last week and absolutely fantastic this week. Has he finally figured it out, or was it the lack of above average KC wideouts? He was right on top of them at every pass attempt instead of the usual 3 yards off.

The pass D has come a long way when, as good as Cromartie has been playing, there's now minimal playing time for him.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jammer looked great last week and absolutely fantastic this week. Has he finally figured it out, or was it the lack of above average KC wideouts? He was right on top of them at every pass attempt instead of the usual 3 yards off.

The pass D has come a long way when, as good as Cromartie has been playing, there's now minimal playing time for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football Outsiders Blog--CBs article

Apparently, the Chargers CBs have been awesome this year(aside from Jammer).

Antonio Cromartie leads the league in stop rate(69%!), though he missed the qualifier by 2 passes. Drayton Florence is 7th with 60%.

(Stop Rate measures percentage of plays that do not achieve offensive success by Football Outsiders standards: 45% of yards on first down, 60% on second down, 100% on third down.)

Jammer is unfortunately one of the worst with a 42% stop rate and I think he's gone against #2 WRs pretty often.

I think Marcus McNeill should be the offensive rookie of the year and Cromartie would be in contention for DROTY if he was a starter instead of the nickel back.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Marcus McNeill should be the offensive rookie of the year

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an idea that needs to get more attention. He's the starting left tackle for the best team in football, with a RB who's having a historically good season, and he's allowed zero sacks. How good does a OL have to be to win the ROY? I think that this season, if you think about it in terms of VORP, McNeil is the ROY by far.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think Marcus McNeill should be the offensive rookie of the year

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an idea that needs to get more attention. He's the starting left tackle for the best team in football, with a RB who's having a historically good season, and he's allowed zero sacks. How good does a OL have to be to win the ROY? I think that this season, if you think about it in terms of VORP, McNeil is the ROY by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

He got named as a pro bowl alternate and finished highest of any rookie in pro bowl voting.

He actually allowed 2 sacks this season, but that's still awesome. He wasn't called for holding all season.

If he doesn't win rookie of the year, it's a joke. He won't, of course. I'm sure MJD or some other fantasy football rookie of the year will win it.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he doesn't win rookie of the year, it's a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can guarantee that he won't win. zomg 1000+ yard receiving!