Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: It\'s Very Simple Really

[ QUOTE ]
I went to school in MS and if you ever took a drive outside of the college towns it is really apparent that those people are living in a time closer to 50 years ago than today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going to rural MS is like taking a time machine back to 1960.

As late as 10 years ago, some of their public schools where still having seperate homecoming courts for black/white at football games, with seperate dances afterwards.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was watching a news program on this last nite... as the "black activist" was saying "nobody is saying that the 6 on 1 attack is justified, and we don't think that those 6 should go unpunished.....I don't think that anyone at the march is saying they should not be punished" They cut to the protest... and what do the signs read? "FREE THE JENA 6"

[/ QUOTE ]

"REDUCE THE CHARGES FOR THE JENA 6" doesn't have the same ring to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't.....

I find it odd that every high profile case with black(s) defendant(s), Sharpton, Jackson and the usual suspects, always seem to have a presumption of innocence. But with a black victim, and white defendants (see duke case) the call for conviction seems to equal justice. The guys seem to perpetuate racism to extend the income they derive from it. I don't beleive Jackson and Sharpton want racism to end, as they would be out of work. Shaking down companies would not be nearly as profitable.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it odd that every high profile case with black(s) defendant(s), Sharpton, Jackson and the usual suspects, always seem to have a presumption of innocence.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? This is exactly how it should be.

[ QUOTE ]

But with a black victim, and white defendants (see duke case) the call for conviction seems to equal justice. The guys seem to perpetuate racism to extend the income they derive from it. I don't beleive Jackson and Sharpton want racism to end, as they would be out of work. Shaking down companies would not be nearly as profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see where you're going here. I agree with this part. The presumption of innocence should be afforded in all incidents, regardless of color, and the Duke situation was despicable.

As for Sharpton and Jackson, they are opportunistic dancing monkeys putting on a show for the cameras with their hands out looking for collections.

If their intentions were truly sincere, then they'd part with some of the cash from their war chests and put down the 90k to bail Mychal Bell out of jail where he's been for nearly a year awaiting the resolution of his case.

They do happen to do some good by chance, mainly because much better folks than them are made aware of situations due to them calling attention, and after the dog and pony show takes donations and leaves town, the true advocates stick around and follow things through without race-baiting and camera hogging.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"could end their lives with the stroke of a pen"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the racism BS, and I don't know in what spirit these things were said (or even if they were said at all) but any government official that goes around regularly making these kinds of threats/boasts would look pretty good in a noose himself.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Incident in Jena,La.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't there, as I'm sure you weren't, but as a result of eye witness testimony the police charged the black fellow, Bailey, with robbery, and some other charges (Wikipedia). I don't know if this was the correct decision, I wasn't there.

But, this does not, first of all, constitute assault, and secondly, allow for vigilante "justice", especially in this case in which it wasn't justice at all; it was 6 men beating up 1 man.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I find most interesting is your focus on the end of the chain of causal events, but not on the beginning,

I am most delighted for you to let me know that some of your best friends are african americans... LOL

PS You are missing the point. I hope someone close to you points it out to you!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point that in America, it is perfectly legal to call someone an N bomb, but its not to beat the [censored] out of someone. If you want to go somewhere where "hate" speech is outlawed, go to Canada or most any college

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't there, as I'm sure you weren't, but as a result of eye witness testimony the police charged the black fellow, Bailey, with robbery, and some other charges (Wikipedia). I don't know if this was the correct decision, I wasn't there.

But, this does not, first of all, constitute assault, and secondly, allow for vigilante "justice", especially in this case in which it wasn't justice at all; it was 6 men beating up 1 man.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I find most interesting is your focus on the end of the chain of causal events, but not on the beginning,

I am most delighted for you to let me know that some of your best friends are african americans... LOL

PS You are missing the point. I hope someone close to you points it out to you!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point that in America, it is perfectly legal to call someone an N bomb, but its not to beat the [censored] out of someone. If you want to go somewhere where "hate" speech is outlawed, go to Canada or most any college

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Missing the point, InTheDark,

The objection is to have public or government owned space (like a school playground) where there is actual apartheid. Which is exactly what the OP said (... everyone understood the tree was white only...). As far as I understand and believe it, this is against the law in the USA. Correct me if I am wrong!
Old 09-22-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the only way that I condoned the "white tree" was if the separtion, prior to the incident, was voluntary by both sides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh! I see you are a proponent of apartheid!? You just don't get it! That is what riles me!

[/ QUOTE ]

The three white students deserve to be prosecuted under hate crimes specifically intimidation. The black students certainly deserve the justice they are getting, as their is no explanation for a 6-1 attack on one student beating him unconscious and to continue to kick him.

For all who are still reading, Bill Handle on KFI radio had a very long report on the whole situation. Bill Handle story on Jena 6
Old 09-22-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my suggestion is that the school board and teachers should have their employment terminated for fostering or allowing non-american prejudices to continue existing despite those being, I am sure, against the law!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unbelievably, unpopular opinions are still legal in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

The principal tried to expel the three white students who put up the nooses. The school board over ruled him.

http://tinyurl.com/3ya4a2

To get the whole flavor of this story you need not just listen to a 15 second soundbite.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that in the USA it is alright to have "whites only" trees or any areas?

I don't know how it can be made any clearer than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not an official, or even unofficial school policy. This is simply the way the students chose to act. Whites would hang out under the tree, the black kids would be wherever they hang out.
If the white students choose not to spend time with the black students, or vice versa, that is there decision, it isn't government endorsed segregation. Another example of this, from the same incident; apparently when the students were called into an assembly, the white kids sat together, and the black kids sat together. You cannot force people to spend time together.

And before you go calling me a hick or a racist, I've lived in two places in my life; New York and Philadelphia. I have several friends that are black, and some 2+2 members could attest to that.

Edit: By the way, Jesse Jackson said he totally endorses Obama, and doesn't question his "blackness" on CNN this morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taso, I agree with you most of the way, but tell my why the 3 White students who placed the nooses on the trees should not be kicked out of the school?
Old 09-22-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that in the USA it is alright to have "whites only" trees or any areas?

I don't know how it can be made any clearer than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not an official, or even unofficial school policy. This is simply the way the students chose to act. Whites would hang out under the tree, the black kids would be wherever they hang out.
If the white students choose not to spend time with the black students, or vice versa, that is there decision, it isn't government endorsed segregation. Another example of this, from the same incident; apparently when the students were called into an assembly, the white kids sat together, and the black kids sat together. You cannot force people to spend time together.

And before you go calling me a hick or a racist, I've lived in two places in my life; New York and Philadelphia. I have several friends that are black, and some 2+2 members could attest to that.

Edit: By the way, Jesse Jackson said he totally endorses Obama, and doesn't question his "blackness" on CNN this morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taso, I agree with you most of the way, but tell my why the 3 White students who placed the nooses on the trees should not be kicked out of the school?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kicked out of school? maybe.... but free speech could be argued should any hate crime charges be brought against them. The 6 on 1 assault seems to be racially motivated,... I doubt hate crime convictions have much of a chance.... whites dont seem to clammor for hate crime charges.