Didn't read the whole thread so just my list:

Gojira
Isis (wtf noone else listens to them?)
Mastodon
Tool
Opeth
Neurosis
Ulver
Disillusion (best Germand band ever. I like the studio version but the band isn't really popular http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYdczszZIg)
Mouth of the Architect
Neurosis

Metal?

Porcupine Tree
A Perfect Circle
Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Heavy Metal - If there was a God, this is what he would listen to

My List:
Pig Destroyer
Akimbo
Dysrhythmia (I can't stop listening to this)
Ed Gein
Keelhaul

Also, but not heavy metal:
Mouth Of The Architect
Nurse With Wound
Old 06-10-2007, 03:33 AM

How exactly has this thread gone two full pages nearly and nobody has mentioned Pain of Salvation? That boggles my mind.

Daniel Gildenlow is widely regarded as having the best voice in metal, if not across all genres. I certainly think he's got the best voice in the world bar none.

They're prog metal, whereas most of this thread seems to lean towards death/hardcore, but nonetheless anyone who thinks of themselves as even remotely liking metal should check out a few of their albums.

Google reviews of The Perfect Element Pt 1, Remedy Lane and One Hour By The Concrete Lake and you'll see the critical acclaim they usually recieve. Just a note though, their latest album isn't as strong, Scar Sick. I'd stay away from it as a first purchase.

I'm also a little baffled by the lack of mentions of Kamelot. They're my favourite power/prog combo. Vastly different to Pain of Salvation, more similar to Dream Theatre, but with a more Power sound. Again the vocalist is incredible. Roy Khan has the best soaring clean voice in metal i'd say. Not near the variety that the lead of Pain of Salvation has, but it is fantastic for the style of music they play.

They just released a live DVD, One Cold Winter's Night, which is a brilliant combination of their last 3-4 albums.

Anyway if I could make anyone listen to two bands, it would be these two. And that's hefty praise from someone who listens to as much music as I do.

-Andy
Old 06-14-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"And what comes to Christian Vikernes' ideology, the guy simply is a moran."

He's the closest thing to a genious in metal, and along with Mayhem, Immortal and Darkthrone most embodies the spirit of black metal philosophy (and is the most copied). But I guess any talk of pride in your race is a sin for most Americans now so you don't offend your black neighbours. I'm confused as to how you can like cold/dark black metal and fail to appreciate Burzum more than having a few OK albums. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is the most meloncholy black metal album I have ever heard and in short, a masterpiece of classical scale. His two synth albums divide opinion a lot of the time but I enjoy Hlidskjalf, Daudi Baldrs just sounds too much like it was written on a SNES for me to enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are some very intelligent metal musicians, but after reading/watching a few Vikernes interviews I'm confirmed that he's not one of them.

He has obviously read a lot, but reading and quoting stuff doesn't make you intelligent. If you quote nonsense you might even look stupid.

His "ideology" has went from tolkien to satan to paganaziwhatever.

I don't mind if someone moves forward, but to me Vikernes is just a confused kid who wants to be different and rebel against something.

What comes to his music, he doesn't have enough talent to write or play a masterpiece. Burzum is far behind the real masters like Darkthrone.

And I'm not American or politically correct. I don't think being proud of your race is a sin as I don't believe in the concept of sin.

I just think being proud of your skin/eye/hair/whatever color and supporting inbreeding is stupid.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 AM

The thread title said heavy metal, where are all the heavy/hard rock classics?

Accept

They were amazing in their prime. They played thrash/speed before it even existed.

Fast As A Shark came out 1982.

And who doesn't love Udo's beautiful voice?

Resless And Wild, Balls To The Wall and Metal Heart belong to every metalhead's collection.

Loudness

I was ~10 when I heard Crazy Nights for the first time and I was hooked.

I don't like the rest of the albums that much, but Thunder In The East is a heavy metal classic.

Cheesy and ridiculous lyrics and Minoru Niihara's Japanese accent are part of the fun, but Akira Takasaki's riffs are magnificent.

Wolf

This Swedish band still keeps the 80's flame alive. Check out their myspace for some songs.

Power metallish vocalist might get a little bit annoying at times, but I'm a riff guy and can enjoy the music.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't read the whole thread so just my list:

Gojira
Isis (wtf noone else listens to them?)
Mastodon
Tool
Opeth
Neurosis
Ulver
Disillusion (best Germand band ever. I like the studio version but the band isn't really popular http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYdczszZIg)
Mouth of the Architect
Neurosis

Metal?

Porcupine Tree
A Perfect Circle

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you mention Neurosis twice on that list... a mistake or do you just REALLY REALLY like them?

Have you heard Given To The Rising yet? It's awesome.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:28 AM

Nah, was a mistake but I will try to get Given To The Rising right now.

I listened to Ziltoid after reading your posts and, indeed, it's so [censored] hilarious, thanks for the advice..