Default Re: playing against ratholers

should have slowrolled his ass
Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM

Isura-

Copy/paste bld's thoughts?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM

once kurosh did the same thing from the SB and i called with K2o, unfortunately i did not hold.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:14 PM

lol, I guess that call isn't even that light then eh?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:15 PM

one thing worth mentioning is that most big stacks play like [censored] in multiway pots vs. a shortstack and another big stack. if you donkeys stopped worrying so much about the shortstacks and started thinking about how others "adjust" to them, you'd realize that their presence can actually be +EV for you in the right games.

i see situations all the time where i'll shove against a raise and a call and the original raiser will call my shove with QJo with someone else left to act. you want to get into situations like that as much as possible, and you don't want to educate that QJo caller (which is what this thread is all about)

this is definitely one of the more useful/informative threads for bad big stacks who can't figure out on their own how to adjust, but it's not going to help the overall situation for you. the only way threads like this MIGHT help is if so many people are convinced to start shortstacking that the sites decide to change the rules. but even then, why would they change the rules when 8/10 of their customers want to buy in short, and only players who are taking large amounts of money out of the games are complaining?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its not a campaign. i do think its in all of our best interests that people dont play like complete dogshit versus the shortstackers. shorties at my table means i have to alter my game plan and i really dont want to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahah you dont want to alter your game. so when you get 200bb you probably just leave because you have to alter your game too much? I mean your reasoning behind this is just absurd, you want to alter your game so lets teach everyone how to play vs shorites... TEACH ME LUEGO TEACH ME
Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should have slowrolled his ass

[/ QUOTE ]

did you not read the chat? he did slowroll him.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
luego,

Do you seriously believe there is a shortstacking crisis and more short stacks come out of the woodwork everyday? I go to a local 2/4 NL game sometimes and EVERYONE buys in short there and no one even understands what they are doing. You really think this is different online?

In my experience there are only a handful of people with the will and motivation to play solid short stack poker, and the rest of them are just donks handing out money.

If you want to campaign for something I think it should be for higher minimium buyin online/real life games.

In terms of what range I should call against etc, all I do is look at their PT stats and then play off whatever that range is in pokerstove. Usually they adjust looser to me so I usually call all the borderline hands. I don't think we need to talk about what ranges to call their shoves with in X position all you have to do is datamine and look at their positional stats in pokertracker.

Ok.

So I spite call sometimes.

But only sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the issue here is more the act of ratholing which I believe is clearly unethical, where as there is nothing wrong with just shortstacking in general.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:20 PM

This thread is getting wayyyy off topic.

But as previously stated before by MDMA, shortstacking is not unethical, it's the ratholing part that is.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its not a campaign. i do think its in all of our best interests that people dont play like complete dogshit versus the shortstackers. shorties at my table means i have to alter my game plan and i really dont want to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand your thinking, and in a perfect world if all the big stacks listened to you it might help the situation, but in reality you're just doing yourself a disservice because not enough people will adjust to make shortstacking significantly less profitable, but some will stop playing as bad as they are and it will cost you some EV as well as the shortstacks.