Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Sit \'N Go strategy-reviews?

I have read up to "Stack Dependent Strategy on the Bubble."

Let me say so far I think this is a solid book for the majority of SNG players out there. If your 8 tabling the 100's then it may not help you all that much, but again the majority will be helped.

However, I have saw a couple of examples that I don't agree with. The one big thing that bothers me is in the headsup section. He keeps saying that you are on the button headsup, so you have position. This couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't understand how this type of over sight is made.

Other than that a 1 or 2 hand examples I think the book is very good. Another poster likened it to the HOH series. It does flow in that sort of way, making it very easy to follow. Unlike some books there hasn't been anything head scratching in it.

Though I still like another 70+ pages I think it is well worth 25 bucks. I would recommend it to anyone who looking to improve there SNG play.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

HOH hadn't been out for more than 20 minutes before there was a study group. I'd certainly participate in one for this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be great, but you need someone willing and able to ride herd on the cats. For this particular book, he might need mod power to keep people in line.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 PM

Noob question: will this book help my final-table-of-a-mtt skills? Cause im not really into sitandgos, but I play quite a few live MTTs (around 50ppl or so).
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

HOH hadn't been out for more than 20 minutes before there was a study group. I'd certainly participate in one for this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be great, but you need someone willing and able to ride herd on the cats. For this particular book, he might need mod power to keep people in line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, I have a lot more analysis written down and done than I posted in my review. There is the book review thread Collin started in STTF if you haven't seen it already. If you could fill me in on the mechanics of the study groups...?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you could fill me in on the mechanics of the study groups...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who laughs at jerks would be a good choice.

It seems best to start with a thread to gage interest and announce some kind of schedule as well as set groundrules (which are up to you and the participants). In the past, separate threads were started to cover one section of the book at a time. Here are a couple of examples:

Small Stakes Hold'em Discussion

Internet Texas Hold'em Discussion
Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about a reading the book together as a study group? Keep that thread in this forum rather than in the STTF and allow the "criticizers" to voice their opinions as we work our way through the text. I bet that Collin would participate as long as it didn't develop into a shouting match.

I like the book, but I by no means consider myself a polished SnG player. I'd really appreciate a discussion where people who have read the book (and who are accomplished SnG players) could comment on those areas where it might be improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to have a study group for this book, just finished my first read through and having a place to talk about specifics with more advanced players would be awsome
Old 08-18-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, I have saw a couple of examples that I don't agree with. The one big thing that bothers me is in the headsup section. He keeps saying that you are on the button headsup, so you have position. This couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't understand how this type of over sight is made.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell do you mean by this example?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:47 PM

I am beginning player in the SNG field. I read the book and I liked it and it DEFINATELY helped me. Sure, there are minor logic flaws in the book, as respected STTF posters say (I haven't seen any examples actually, so blackize you're wellcome to point it out), however they are outweighed by solid advice given in the book.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call me easily influenced but I am willing to trust the judgment of DAVID SKLANSKY and MASON MALMUTH (repeat- SKLANSKY and MALMUTH ffs) on what material is and isn't worthy of being published by 2+2- Even if it hasn't been checked and approved by the "STT'ers" first.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I am asked to look at a poker book by someone else, whether it be Harrington, Stoxtrader, Moshman or whomever, I am expected only to catch flagrant errors in logic or math, to make sure that the book is clearly superior to anything else out there, and to verify that readers will benefit from reading it. I am not expected to suggest changes that are not clearcut, even if I myself would have written things differently.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am beginning player in the SNG field. I read the book and I liked it and it DEFINATELY helped me. Sure, there are minor logic flaws in the book, as respected STTF posters say (I haven't seen any examples actually, so blackize you're wellcome to point it out), however they are outweighed by solid advice given in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm also new in the SNG "circus".
your short "review" was exactly what i needed in order to decide, whether i should take the book or not.

ty [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]