70 0 0%
80 4 23.53%
90 7 41.18%
100 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: South Park starts up again tonight 10/3

[ QUOTE ]
Did everyone notice the little flag that said "emmy award winner" that came up when Stan's dad was [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]am i getting leveled or did you miss the end of the episode.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have such high expectations for every new episode of South Park that I'm crushed by good to mediocre episodes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really is the case the vast majority of the time. Considering the topics they tackle and plotlines they use, it's not difficult for them to miss the mark on occasion - and it is a huge letdown. Much of this stems from the fact that they spoiled us with so many incredible episodes, and it's impossible to maintain that standard when shows are based on pop culture topics much of the time.

Season 8 of south park is amazing, I don't know how trey did it, and i can't imagine he will ever do it again. My favorite episode is not from s8, but every single episode is awesome. This is the standard from which I measure... it's not fair to the creators of south park, but what can you do...
Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm amazed that so many people like the old episodes more than the last few seasons. I've been watching the show regularly since like Season 5, and some of the best eps have come in the last two years. Episodes like "The Succubus" and the Korn Halloween special were very weak, especially when you compare them to, say, the "I broke the dam" episode, or Douche and Turd, or some of the other excellent social commentary eps we've seen lately.

I'm a diehard SP fan, and I'm thrilled with the direction the show has gone the last few years (with the exception of last night, though I think that's a fluke).

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting... fwiw i would agree that i broke the dam was a standout episode, dont agree with your opinions on the other 3 mentioned tho.

maybe i am a minority after all, i had assumed most old school sp watchers would just agree with me. but fair enough

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, the show gained momentum gradually from seasons 1 to 8, with a huge jump at season 5. I think it dropped down a bit at season 9 and leveled off since (but still the best show on TV - by far)
Old 10-14-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did everyone notice the little flag that said "emmy award winner" that came up when Stan's dad was [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]am i getting leveled or did you miss the end of the episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the whole thing. I thought it was hilarious that the "Emmy Award Winner" came up whenever he pooped. And that they jammed the Emmy into the monster brown log at the end.
[not levelling]Was there more to this? An inside joke or backstory that I'm on the idiot end of?[/not levelling]
Old 10-14-2007, 05:29 PM

They just won an Emmy for best animated series.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 PM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that each episode is written and produced the week it is aired, while this gives them the ability to be current, I think it often makes some episodes pretty mediocre conceptually.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:57 PM

They are not necessarily done 100% the week they air, but yeah, they pretty much don't exist a month prior to the airing. That's why they are always current, and yes, that's why not every episode is a high concept.
It, however, makes for the best possible job imaginable when you factor in how much time they work a year and how much $$$ they get.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:20 PM

Compare that to Family Guy who takes 9 months per episode.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 PM

this episode was so bad
Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are not necessarily done 100% the week they air, but yeah, they pretty much don't exist a month prior to the airing. That's why they are always current, and yes, that's why not every episode is a high concept.
It, however, makes for the best possible job imaginable when you factor in how much time they work a year and how much $$$ they get.

[/ QUOTE ]

they deserve it for the product they produce and how much time they put into producing early episodes.