Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Stars VIP Wild speculation

PokerStars Caribbean Adventure
A European Poker Tour Event
More info.

January 4th-11th
Buy-in: $7,800 +200
Accommodations and meals: $3,000 value includes seven nights at Atlantis Paradise Island and a $1,000 food voucher.
Travel expenses: $1,000 credited to your PokerStars account.
2007 entrants: 937
Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM

EPT: Grand Final
Monte Carlo, MONACO
More info.

April 12th-17th
Buy-in: €10,000 +600 ($15,046)
Accommodations and meals: Included. No details at this time.
Travel Expenses: Included. No details at this time.
2007 Entrants: 705
Old 10-04-2007, 10:54 AM

I think it would be cool to see Stars add the Asia Pacific Poker Tour event in Australia to the lineup as well.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 AM

That is an event I'd like to play at but the cost and time lost on the flight is my only concern.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:18 PM

If they combined the PCA with one of the EPT events as a choice vs. the bigger Monte Carlo package then I would definitely consider that.

Pokerboy1 - so are you getting about 400 pts an hour at your current stakes and number of tables?
That's what it looks like.
50 hours * 400 pts = 20k.
20k pts * 50 wks = 1 mil.

If so then your 50 hours/week estimate is going to end up killing you.
A 10 hour day of online-poker usually will take more than 10 hours....unless you actually can sit there for 10 straight hours and play every single hand and pretty much never move without ever taking a break.

Every time you get up for even 5 or 10 minutes to make coffee or go to the bathroom or whatever are points/hands lost.
To get in 10 hours of online-poker probably takes more like 11 or 12 hours I imagine..and that's IF you are really dedicated.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 PM

Bob-

I play eight hours a day now and 40-42 hours a week.

I've taken one week off this year.

What might end up killing me is I'm currently 12-tabling full ring no-limit for 800 hands/hr. That's not enough hands for me to make it. I'm going to actually switch to 6 tables of full ring and 6 tables of 6-max to average 1000 hands an hour.

It's not going to be easy, but I have an uncanny ability to stay focused for long periods of time. I actually wish Stars would allow us to play more tables.

I'm also considering the option of playing some 6max and/or full ring limit hold 'em to help break the monotony, keep my mind fresh, and of course these games are great at accumulating points. (Coach me?)

And I will also have help in the form of a personal assistant (okay, so it's my wife) who's going to take a break from her profession as a paralegal while I'm making my run. So all the coffee and food I need should be readily accessible (although I think if I suggested the pee cup idea to her I might end up in an unwanted divorce[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

I know this is not going to be easy. Any other tips from anybody are much appreciated.

For what it's worth also, almost all of my estimates are on the safe side. In other words, it might end up taking me 48 hours a week instead of 50 or whatnot.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 PM

I don't find the 6-Max tables work out for me. I think the limit game is a better option but I prefer limit for online play so that might be bias.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A 10 hour day of online-poker usually will take more than 10 hours....unless you actually can sit there for 10 straight hours and play every single hand and pretty much never move without ever taking a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought about this and already run into this problem with my setup now.

The plan is to get up and grind for about 4 hours. Then I take lunch and go for a walk (or rollerblading or whatever). Then I'll grind for 4 hours and have dinner with the family. Heck, that part is not that much different from working a standard day job. I could actually do this 6 days a week and get there that way. But I'll probably squeeze some hours in at night and just do half a day on one of my 'off days'.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 PM

Many a limit player from 2+2 just lost, lost, lost trying to make a run for SN-Elite.
The rake is significant and the games are infested with the likes of pretty good limit players.

There are still some fish available. Actually, probably a few more now because some of the SNE-chasers from earlier in the year have dropped out of the chase out of frustration or switched to NL.

I am not the one to coach for limit help. My limit game sucks and I'm just barely getting by on the $1500 SN bonuses.

here's a thread that gives you a sense of how frustrating it has been for some of the limit players who are making the chase.
Guys like chezlaw appear to be doing okay though so it's not impossible.
link

Personally, I just don't have the concentration for it.
I'm great for a couple of hours. Then, next thing I know I'm playing a bunch of hands and not even looking at what I'm doing.
Kind of hard to win that way.

But you can definitely get points pretty darned quickly on the limit tables. Assuming you are a half-decent player and can stomach the variance.
For a full-time NL player who hasn't done much limit in the past several mths I'm not sure I recommend it just for the extra pts.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 PM

There is one limit player I have 25k hands with who is down a lot. Can't explain it since he plays a very good game and is always 8-12 tabling.

My bread and butter is sports. I make more in one month of football then the whole year of poker so the last 2 months I've just been playing 2-4 tables of limit while getting ready for football. Even without concentrating on the game as 90% of my attention is devoted to my sports stats I find the limit games very beatable. I think a half decent limit player should be able to make at least 1 BB/100.