Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Do you believe in some sort of God(s)?

the best i can describe myself is a skeptical agnostic for now. i dont believe that when i die i go to the pearly gates, or i burn in hell with satan and sadaam. i do believe there is something greater than us somewhere in the universe. like suzzer said with physics, something cant come from nothing. what creates the energy in the universe? what started everything? i dont understand enough about the universe or whatever, but im not ruling out some other force in it greater than the human race.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the best i can describe myself is a skeptical agnostic for now. i dont believe that when i die i go to the pearly gates, or i burn in hell with satan and sadaam. i do believe there is something greater than us somewhere in the universe. like suzzer said with physics, something cant come from nothing. what creates the energy in the universe? what started everything? i dont understand enough about the universe or whatever, but im not ruling out some other force in it greater than the human race.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why must we posit a beginning or ending?

And descartes did not prove the existence of god

Cam
Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While it is irrational to dogmatically believe there is no god (at any moment evidence might present itself), ...

[/ QUOTE ]

What evidence could ever "present itself" that could prove the existence of God? If this evidence occurred in the "natural" world, which it would have to in order for humans to be aware of it, then it appeared within the confines of reality and thus the source of the evidence must possess a certain identity.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i do believe there is something greater than us somewhere in the universe. like suzzer said with physics, something cant come from nothing. what creates the energy in the universe? what started everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't all these same questions still remain unanswered even if there is "something greater than us"? What created that something?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course not. What do you think I am, some nutjob?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-03-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that there's something behind the feelings of universal rights and wrongs and moral codes we have beyond just collective consciousness over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

Would you care to elaborate on why you believe this? As far as I am aware, evolutionary biology is fairly comfortable with the idea that our morals are explainable by natural reasons. Is this not true, or do you think it will be shown to be less true, or else, what is your reason for believing this? Obviously this is a really tough thing to answer, and I don't claim to have anywhere near the expertise to discuss it well, but nevertheless I found it an interesting comment that got somewhat overlooked.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is for all those who answered no and said you're a pussy if you think no but are playing it safe. Would you sign a contract with the devil trading your soul for $10 (the $10 being offered by a person claiming to represent the devil)? The contract specifies that there is no obligation whatsoever on your part in this life.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Blasphemy Challenge

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer the question pls [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2007, 05:37 PM

i can't believe that god has a hand in day-to-day life, and i also have difficulty believing in a permanent results-based afterlife. those things alone technically exclude me from many faiths right off the bat. of everything i've seen, i think my closest match is reform judaism. i'd love to believe that god is watching us like a tv show, and rooting for us to do well. for now i consider myself an optimistic agnostic. even if there's nothing in death, i'd still like to say thanks to god on my way out.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i do believe there is something greater than us somewhere in the universe. like suzzer said with physics, something cant come from nothing. what creates the energy in the universe? what started everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't all these same questions still remain unanswered even if there is "something greater than us"? What created that something?

[/ QUOTE ]

good point, i obviously have no idea, neither does anyone else, and by the time all of us die, we still wont.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That "something greater than us" is "something greater than us" because it is a self-caused cause. Thats what makes it greater than us, so no other explanation necessary.